Keith

Default Dinghy registration in California

That's correct. Of course, the enforcement folks are really only tax
officers, so it doesn't matter what you do or say, they're going to either
tax you (registration) or fine you (tax). It's all about the $$$.

--

Keith
__
"Rosalie B." wrote in message
x-no-archive:yes Dick Locke wrote:

I bought a dinghy in Florida, never registered it there and didn't pay
sales tax because I took it out of Florida within an allowed time. I
finally used it for the first time in California.

I was under the impression that state registration (and hence the
deadly 8-ish percent "use tax") could be avoided by labeling the
dinghy "tender to" the mother ship. That vessel is documented.

If I look at the DMV web site, it only allows exclusion for liferafts,
and says anything else has to be registered. Yet, I see lots of
dinghies labeled T/T something...

Anybody been through this experience?

If it is true, the T/T can only be used from the ship to shore and not
for anything else - i.e. you can't use it to go exploring or dive from
it or anything like that. I also infer from something I have read on
the live-aboard list that California only requires registration of the
dinghy if it has a motor.

These are the regs in Western Australia

Vessels that Must be Registered

If your boat has a motor, or is fitted for one, it must be registered

with DPI and and is subject to an annual registration fee. Yachts, canoes,
surf skis and other craft without motors, are not required to be registered.

Exemptions from Registration

A tender to a larger vessel is exempt provided it fits the following

conditions:

It is no more than 3.1 metres long, has a motor no bigger than 3.73kW

(5hp); and is used only as a lifeboat and for ship to shore transport.
If your boat is currently registered in another State, you get three

months grace after bringing it into Western Australia. After that time, you
must register it in this State.

Other than that and a document that I ran across that said insurance
wouldn't pay for the theft of a tender or dinghy marked T/T, I can't
find anything that speaks to no state registration of a dinghy.

I know that in MD the dinghies have to be registered.

I'm not sure if the laws require paying tax on the purchase or not -
our original dinghy came with the boat, and was included in the prace.
grandma Rosalie