Doug Dotson

Default Dinghy registration in California

I only know about Maryland's situation, but I was told by
numerous folks that labeling my dingy as T/T ... was sufficient
and could avoid normal registration. The Department of
Natural Resources informed me in no uncertain terms that
this was not the case. The nice lady at the DNR said that as
far as she knew the T/T thing was not valid in any state on
the east coast. I don't know it that is true or not.

From a more practical point of view,
having a dingy ashore labeled with the name of your boat is a good
advertisment that your boat at anchor is probably a good
target for theft.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Dick Locke" wrote in message
I bought a dinghy in Florida, never registered it there and didn't pay
sales tax because I took it out of Florida within an allowed time. I
finally used it for the first time in California.

I was under the impression that state registration (and hence the
deadly 8-ish percent "use tax") could be avoided by labeling the
dinghy "tender to" the mother ship. That vessel is documented.

If I look at the DMV web site, it only allows exclusion for liferafts,
and says anything else has to be registered. Yet, I see lots of
dinghies labeled T/T something...

Anybody been through this experience?