Boatsqueak

Default Rob Dubin - watch out for this scammer

Cruisers/Repairmen,

Anyone cruising or working on boats in the South Pacific might do well to
avoid a fellow named Rob Dubin (www.ventanasvoyage.com). It seems I am
just one of many to get shafted by this guy and his wife. Take a look at
the cruising discussion list at www.sailnet.com.
Nothing like a first class con man to pave the way for the rest of us
cruisers.

Mike McPherson
Boatsqueak

Charlie J

Mike
I am not in the South Pacific but I am in the business...what are the
details that caused this posting?

Charlie

Boatsqueak

Sorry about that. The sailnet section in which this post appears is called
"Message boards". There are several of these and the one which features
this message is "cruising". I would have provided a link but the way that
web site is set up you can't link directly to it. Anyway, I have copied and
posted the piece below. It is from a fellow named John Nikacha and is a
reply to my inquiry about ofther people who had been taken but Dubnin and
his wife. The reply was as follows:

"Fancy that! I have not had the experience myself but happen to be running
into a number of people that have. Mr. Dubin is developing a bit of a
reputation in the South Pac and not one that does us cruisers any good.
(Funny, his web site doesn’t say anything about this aspect of his trip.)
His method seems to be to have work done then either complain loudly until
he gets the price reduced or simply, as apparently in your case, skip town.
Not entirely unknown in the boating community but this appears to be quite a
run. I recently did a little checking up on him based on something I was
told by an industry friend.

According to Island Packet, Dubin bought his boat at a “very significant
discount” based on his promise to produce a cruising instructional video
extolling the virtues of the vessel and distribute it through Practical
Sailor. Practical sailor got wind of the scam and threatened to sue Dubin
but not before Island Packet had delivered the boat. Seems amazing that a
company like Island Packet would have fallen for such a con but apparently
they did. He must have used his “Sailing Quarterly” credentials with some
salesmen who wasn’t old enough to remember what a short-lived waste of video
tape that was. Dubin also sent a letter to manufacturers of the various gear
he wanted and made the same offer. Again, a bunch fell for it. He eventually
did produce an amateurish video (which I actually saw and he doesn’t seem to
be selling anymore) that was sufficient to keep the scammed company’s
lawyers at bay. You got to hand it to him - many try but few succeed the way
Dubin has. And his web site makes him sound so PROFESSIONAL!!

Fair winds and don’t take and wooden nickels.

John Nikacha
s/v Nikaboya "

Charlie J

OK...I understand the background...what did he do to you that caused you to
post here?

Regards-
Charlie

EJBleendreeble

Well, at least it shouldn't be hard for the lawyers to find him. He's
here ... http://www.aprs.net/cgi-bin/winlink.cgi?KG4AYO

E.J. Bleendreeble
http://www.casualsailor.com
Karin Conover-Lewis

Wouldn't mind hearing *their* side of the story, personally.

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

"EJBleendreeble" wrote in message
om...
Well, at least it shouldn't be hard for the lawyers to find him. He's
here ... http://www.aprs.net/cgi-bin/winlink.cgi?KG4AYO

E.J. Bleendreeble
http://www.casualsailor.com

Glenn Ashmore

Karin Conover-Lewis wrote:
Wouldn't mind hearing *their* side of the story, personally.

He does have a video out on outfitting a cruising sailboat. Mediocre
production. A little better than the Dashews' Beowolf series. Has a
pretty good tour of the Island Packet plant and some stuff on selecting
equipment but I suspect it was mostly pay for play type endorsements. I
put more credibility in PS. It is avalilable at several of the on line
marine book stores.

Dubin produced a Video magazine called Sailing Quarterly for a couple of
years and did a couple of programs that were on the Travel Channel and ESPN.

Don't know nutt'n about his credit rating though.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Charlie J

OK Mike, here is the deal...in all my activity on four different boating
related newsgroups, I have never seen a personal attack in the
Subject line of a posted message. I have seen people warning to stay away
from so-and-so marina or repair shop, but never against an individual.

I have read the historical info posted on SailNet regarding how the Dubins
acquired and outfitted their boat. Frankly, I see nothing wrong or illegal
with what they did and I am not sure that there just might be a bit of envy
there from the poster; producing sailing related videos of a boat and
products that are provided by manufacturers either gratis or at a deep
discount...sounds like a dream deal for all concerned.

So I am asking you once again Mike, specifically, what did the Dubins do to
you for you to post such a vitriolic message.

Charlie