Boatsqueak

Default Rob Dubin - watch out for this scammer

Sorry about that. The sailnet section in which this post appears is called
"Message boards". There are several of these and the one which features
this message is "cruising". I would have provided a link but the way that
web site is set up you can't link directly to it. Anyway, I have copied and
posted the piece below. It is from a fellow named John Nikacha and is a
reply to my inquiry about ofther people who had been taken but Dubnin and
his wife. The reply was as follows:

"Fancy that! I have not had the experience myself but happen to be running
into a number of people that have. Mr. Dubin is developing a bit of a
reputation in the South Pac and not one that does us cruisers any good.
(Funny, his web site doesn’t say anything about this aspect of his trip.)
His method seems to be to have work done then either complain loudly until
he gets the price reduced or simply, as apparently in your case, skip town.
Not entirely unknown in the boating community but this appears to be quite a
run. I recently did a little checking up on him based on something I was
told by an industry friend.

According to Island Packet, Dubin bought his boat at a “very significant
discount” based on his promise to produce a cruising instructional video
extolling the virtues of the vessel and distribute it through Practical
Sailor. Practical sailor got wind of the scam and threatened to sue Dubin
but not before Island Packet had delivered the boat. Seems amazing that a
company like Island Packet would have fallen for such a con but apparently
they did. He must have used his “Sailing Quarterly” credentials with some
salesmen who wasn’t old enough to remember what a short-lived waste of video
tape that was. Dubin also sent a letter to manufacturers of the various gear
he wanted and made the same offer. Again, a bunch fell for it. He eventually
did produce an amateurish video (which I actually saw and he doesn’t seem to
be selling anymore) that was sufficient to keep the scammed company’s
lawyers at bay. You got to hand it to him - many try but few succeed the way
Dubin has. And his web site makes him sound so PROFESSIONAL!!

Fair winds and don’t take and wooden nickels.

John Nikacha
s/v Nikaboya "