EJBleendreeble

Default Problems with Nissan (Tohatsu) 2.5 hp 2-stroke outboard

This outboard is about one year (and about 30 running hours) old.

It used invariably to start on the second pull. Now it won't start
for several pulls, until the plug is soaked. If I remove the plug and
replace it with another, it will gradually show signs of life until
eventually it will start and keep running. It runs at a higher
apparent throttle setting for a given speed that it used to. And if I
try to open it up to about 2/3 throttle, it will stall. After waiting
a moment, it will start again. Once running at about 1/3 throttle, it
seems happy to run all day.

Other notes that might help: I've removed and cleaned all parts of the
carb -- didn't help at all. There is evidence of a spark when the
plug is pulled and rested against the block (though I know that means
little or nothing about what happens when the plug is inserted). I
always run the carb. dry before putting the motor up. It lives on the
dinghy, out of the water, in the vertical position. It rarely had to
be choked to start it in the good old days when it was well. It lives
in coastal Texas.

Can anyone help? I cannot afford to take it to the hospital ....

E.J. Bleendreeble
http://www.casualsailor.com
Jere Lull

EJBleendreeble wrote:

[...]

I'd replace the plug. Seemingly good plugs sometimes will have weak
sparks, particularly when they've gotten wet like that. I replace plugs
every year anyway, particularly with two-stroke engines.

For some reason, I get a feeling that you're running too rich a mixture,
so some adjustment or a carb rebuild kit may be in order -- doesn't take
much wear to let too much fuel in.

--
Jere Lull

Jack Rye

Here are some suggestions before taking it in for a tune up.
Sounds to me like you have old gasoline/oil mixture and/or a miss adjusted
carburetor. Check to make sure your fuel filter, and fuel line is working
properly. Check to make sure your stop switch is working properly. Make sure
the vent for the fuel is not clogged. Running your carburetor dry before
putting it up won't hurt your motor or cause any of the problems your now
experiencing.

Jack

"EJBleendreeble" wrote in message
om...
[...]

whenindoubt

Is your gas cap vent open? It sounds like fuel starvation to me. It will
lean out and start to rev just before it dies and it will only run at low
throttle settings. Try unscrewing the gas cap and running it, that will let
you know if the cap vent is clogged.

[...]

Don Sussman

I've had one since 1985 (actually a mecruiser 2.6 but it is the same
engine.). This engine is very durable and very reliable but this problem is
very common and is cheap and easy to fix.

Most likely you have dirt in the needle valve seat. This allows the carb.
float bowl to overfill. The excess fuel gets in to the cylinder and floods
the plug. Problem is the carb. is very small and the needle valve passage is
tiny, any small speck of dirt can cause the needle valve to leak into the
float bowl. Two fixes, the complete fix and the quick fix. If you are
careful you can do this stuff your self.

The complete fix,
1. Remove the cover Lots of screws on my engine (4 big 6 little)
2. Remove the choke and throttle handle ends
3. Disconnect the shut off button wire
4 Remove rubber gas line form the tank to the carb.
5 Take carb off engine (loosen the clamp that holds carb to engine, it looks
like a hose clamp (don't drop the restrictor plate inside the carb throat)
6 Drain gas from float bowl. The bowl forms the bottom of carb (there is
small gasketed drain screw at bottom of bowl.)
7 Carefully remove bowl there are two screws that hold it on, the bowl is
gasketed (if you are careful you should be able to remove it with out damage
and re-use it)
8 THE TRICKY BIT with the bowl open you should be able to remove the float
and spring loaded needle valve that fits in the gas intake. (The needle
valve is a tiny little thing)
9 Clean carb gas line, float bowl, and needle valve seat with a spray can
of Gum-0ut or other carb. cleaner)
10 Reassemble in reverse order. This will cure the problem until the next
time you get dirt in carb.

The Quick fix, works most of the time (4/5) requires less skill and you are
not likely to lose parts
1. Remove the cover Lots of screws on my engine (4 big 6 little)
2. Remove rubber gas line
3. At bottom of carb is a float bowl, the bowl forms the bottom of carb
4. Drain gas from float bowl, remove small gasketed drain screw at bottom of
bowl.
5. Squirt Gum-0ut or other carb cleaner into carb gas intake the is
actually seat of needle valve and into the gas intake hose.
6. Flush carb float bowl through drain screw using Gum-0ut or other carb
cleaner you should see some crud coming out.
7. Reassemble

Permanent solutions - none, long term solution - clean gas tank and gas,
clean feed line from tank to carb carefully, and filter gas before putting
in tank. Alternatively you might be able to find a small filter to put in
the gas line but because the carb is gravity feed you might not get enough
gas to pass through.

Let me know how this works

[...]

Bad design with Merc 20 and 9.9 outboard primer/choke -problems?? tom clark General 1 July 16th 04 04:35 AM
2 stroke vs. 4 stroke?? jeffo General 7 February 14th 04 11:20 PM
Winterizing a Honda outboard 4 stroke (90HP) Messing In Boats General 2 September 13th 03 04:42 AM
Evinrude 5hp 4 stroke outboard David Samuel General 1 July 20th 03 04:08 PM