whenindoubt

Default Problems with Nissan (Tohatsu) 2.5 hp 2-stroke outboard

Is your gas cap vent open? It sounds like fuel starvation to me. It will
lean out and start to rev just before it dies and it will only run at low
throttle settings. Try unscrewing the gas cap and running it, that will let
you know if the cap vent is clogged.

"EJBleendreeble" wrote in message
om...
This outboard is about one year (and about 30 running hours) old.

It used invariably to start on the second pull. Now it won't start
for several pulls, until the plug is soaked. If I remove the plug and
replace it with another, it will gradually show signs of life until
eventually it will start and keep running. It runs at a higher
apparent throttle setting for a given speed that it used to. And if I
try to open it up to about 2/3 throttle, it will stall. After waiting
a moment, it will start again. Once running at about 1/3 throttle, it
seems happy to run all day.

Other notes that might help: I've removed and cleaned all parts of the
carb -- didn't help at all. There is evidence of a spark when the
plug is pulled and rested against the block (though I know that means
little or nothing about what happens when the plug is inserted). I
always run the carb. dry before putting the motor up. It lives on the
dinghy, out of the water, in the vertical position. It rarely had to
be choked to start it in the good old days when it was well. It lives
in coastal Texas.

Can anyone help? I cannot afford to take it to the hospital ....

E.J. Bleendreeble
http://www.casualsailor.com