posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Shame and debasement

Gilligan wrote: a bunch of mushroom induced gibberish...

you're suffering from altitude sickness....
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Ten Things to Take From The Proper Care & Feeding of Husbands
Written by Kieran Dickinson
Published April 26, 2004
See also:
» Of Scalawags and Spies
» Book Review: XAML in a Nutshell by Lori A. MacVittie
» Book Review: F.U.B.A.R. by Sam Seder and Stephen Sherrill

Dr. Laura Schlessinger has written another book that deserves a place on the
best seller list with six of her other books, such as Ten Stupid Things
Women Do to Mess Up Their Lives and Ten Stupid Things Men Do to Mess Up
Their Lives. The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands, from this unmarried
man's perspective, is an excellent manual for women on how to get want they
want from men and marriage and, generally, how to be happy. Dr. Laura makes
a number of important, practical points, based on her experience in private
practice, from advising her radio callers, and from literally hundreds of
letters and emails she received from men and women while she was writing the
book. Here are the points that struck this writer, together with commentary:

1. Men Need Women, and This Need Gives Women Huge Influence. Dr. Laura
states the point as follows: "[M]en are simple creatures who come from a
woman, are nurtured and brought up by a woman, and yearn for the continued
love, admiration, and approval from a woman." Women have great power and
influence over men, and wives in particular have tremendous power over their
husbands. How they use this power essentially controls the relationship,
because women are the masters of most relationships and marriages. That's
why Dr. Laura says that she probably won't write The Proper Care and Feeding
of Wives: wives already have most of the power and their marriages depend,
for the most part, on them.

2. Women Err in Favoring Children Over Husband. A friend once told this
writer that once a woman has children, her husband is relegated to the moral
equivalence of a piece of furniture. How sad if this is true in many
marriages. Here's how Dr. Laura puts it: "Once wives became mothers, they
had no time to be wives. The men would even compliment their wives on being
great mothers, but expressed considerable pain over not being shown love,
affection, or sexual interest. The typical reply from a wife challenged with
this was 'I only have time to take care of one person, and our child is that
person. I'm just too tired for you.' This puts fathers in the ugly and
uncomfortable position of feeling competitive with and resentful of their
children, whom they love so much."

3. Men and Women Are Different. That men and women are deeply different
ought not to be notable, but for the fact that it is so often challenged
today. Dr. Laura says that society tries to make both men and women
"unisex." But men are happiest being men, and women are happiest being
women, with few exceptions. The differences start to manifest themselves
very early. In one study Dr. Laura mentions, a barrier was placed between 1
year-old babies and their mothers. What did the little boys do? They
attempted to get around the barrier or knock it down. The little girls? They
cried until their mothers' picked them up. Men tend to respond to things
physically, women verbally. In fact, the two sexes are just right for each
other.

4. Not Every Thought and Feeling Needs to be Said. Women tend to be so
verbal, so expressive, that they can tire out men easily unless they
exercise some restraint. Dr. Laura reports that wives generally overwhelm
their husbands with communication. "Husbands imagine (so foolishly) that
their wives are telling them something they actually need to know because
they're supposed to do something about it. Otherwise, men can't imagine why
the 'communication' is happening at all. It confuses them, frustrates them,
and their response is to turn off. That's when they unfairly become labeled
insensitive." Husbands and fiances are not girlfriends or psychologists, and
women who want attention should adjust their communication style accordingly
when speaking with them.

5. Men Are Not Mind-Readers. Most men are not very intuitive compared to
most women. Many women "get caught up in the absurdly romanticized notion
that 'if he loved me, he'd just know what I'm thinking, what I'd like, what
he should say.'" If a woman wants her man to do something, she should just
ask him plainly, without nagging, and show appreciation when he does it. To
act otherwise, as many women do, shows arrogance and lack of respect for the
husband's difference, and it leads to unhappiness in the marriage and in the
family.

6. Man Is an Embodied Soul. No, Dr. Laura didn't put it that way; "embodied
soul" is a Catholic concept. But that concept is what underlies her
discussion of how important it is to a man that his wife try to keep up her
appearance. What does it mean that we are embodied souls? It means that our
bodies are integral parts of who we are. We are not just souls. Our bodies
are not like clothing that we can take on or off. There was no time during
which we had only souls and not bodies, and in eternity as well we will have
bodies. It is through our bodies, in fact, that we communicate to our loved
ones and to the rest of the world. One thinks of the beautiful line from the
old Anglican marriage rite: bride and groom pledge to each other "with my
body I thee worship." It is ironic, but in many cases men--sex-crazed pigs
in the minds of many women--actually have a truer understanding of the
beauty of the body and the meaning of the marital embrace than their wives
do. "Objectification" may come as much or more from the woman's side as from
the husband's if the woman sees her own body as being separate from rather
than an integral part of herself. Dr. Laura writes: "In reading all the
letters from men, I was struck by their depth of senstivity about the issue
of women's appearance. It wasn't an impersonal, animal reaction (as it is
with women the men don't personally know), it was a deeply personal one. The
wife's comfort with and appreciation of her own body and femininity, and her
willingness to share that with her husband, actually fed his sense of
well-being, his feeling of being loved as a husband and valued as a 'man.'"

7. Infidelity by Omission. Brides and grooms make a number of vows, not only
of sexual fidelity. Marital vows include and imply words like love, honor,
protect, and care for. "[W]hen one breaches those vows by neglect, is that
also not a form of infidelity? Perhaps we should start looking at the act of
intentionally depriving a spouse of legitimate needs as infidelity, too,
because it stems from being unfaithful to the intent of the vows."

8. In the Bedroom. To her credit, Dr. Laura gives due place to the
importance for marriage of the marital act: "The bedroom is the foundation
of marriage and family." St. Josemaria Escriva, founder of Opus Dei, that
supposedly conservative institution within the Church, put it this way: "The
marriage bed is an altar." Enough said?

9. Women Should Appreciate Men's Masculinity. Dr. Laura relates a trip she
made recently to a swimming pool. A mom and a dad were wading with their
infant child. Mom held the child against her chest, cooed to him, and
swooped him up and down. She passed the baby to dad. He turned the baby's
face outward and swooshed him forward and up into the air. "Mom equals
protection and nurturance. Dad equals autonomy and adventure. It is the
perfect balance that helps produce a functional, secure human being." Too
many women, though, act like Alice Kramdens, constantly belitting their
husbands, shooting down their aspirations, treating them like children. Dr.
Laura writes: "When a wife treats her man like he's one of her children,
when she puts him down or thwarts his need for autonomy, adventure, risk,
competition, challenge, and conquest, she ends up with a sullen,
unooperative, unloving, hostile lump."

10. Thou Shalt Not Covet. Dr. Laura contributes a novel (to this writer) and
insightful contemporary application of the commandment, "thou shal not
covet." Specifically, she understands it as a rebuke to people who want it
all, especially feminists. "Perhaps the feminist notions about women having
power if they do it all has obstructed too many women's ability to realize
that in real life we all make choices, and that the true joy and meaning of
life is not in how many things we have or do, but in the sacrifice and
commitment we make to others within the context of the choices we've made.
The Tenth Commandment, about coveting, reminds us that none of us can have
everything there is nor everything we want. Without enjoying and
appreciating our gifts and blessings, we create a hell on earth for
ourselves and for those who love us."

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Is this the same Gilligan who spent years on the island with Maryanne and
Ginger and didn't f..k either one?

Give me a break.

What a real man would have done is walk over to the wife, pull her
shirt/shorts off, bend her over, give her a good one. Then say "get the
anchor bitch, we seem to be hard aground".
=================================

"Gilligan" wrote in message
. ..
Leave the wife home. Obviously she can not contribute to the solution of
the problem, she can only make matters worse. Just think of what might
have happened if someone was injured or quick action was needed to prevent
catastrophe.

The icing on the cake is to mention to her how lonely her retirement will
be when you are out sailing the world - without her.

I do not understand why men are expected to cater to women's emotionally
driven whims and are expected to "apologize" for not understanding. Why
aren't women expected to understand men? Why is it assumed that women are
so handicapped? Why must men yield to this emotional terrorism?

Women are wired for dealing with children, other women and some family
matters. Men are wired for dealing with the external world - things such
as attacking beasts, danger, dinosaurs, thugs, science, sailing and the
like. In your situation there was a conflict between the manly world and
the woman's world. It looks like the costliest solution won.

It is unfortunate that the great and powerful mind of that Master Mariner
Capt Neal is not here to contribute further on this subject. I am certain
that he would add brilliant insight.

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 23:27:24 GMT, "NE Sailboat"
wrote:

What a real man would have done is walk over to the wife, pull her
shirt/shorts off, bend her over, give her a good one. Then say "get the
anchor bitch, we seem to be hard aground".

And that I guess would explain your present relationship with the
inflatable Paris Hilton?

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Hey,, there is good news ... I was just hired as the replacement comic for
Kramer out in LA.

I am standing looking in the mirror practicing .... fork/N.../N.../N..../

news

NE Sailboat wrote:
Is this the same Gilligan who spent years on the island with Maryanne and
Ginger and didn't f..k either one?

Give me a break.

What a real man would have done is walk over to the wife, pull her
shirt/shorts off, bend her over, give her a good one. Then say "get the
anchor bitch, we seem to be hard aground".
=================================

"Gilligan" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

That's why so many' real' men are in jail....
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Gilligan" wrote in
message . ..
Leave the wife home. Obviously she can not contribute to

the solution of the
problem, she can only make matters worse. Just think of

what might have
happened if someone was injured or quick action was needed

to prevent
catastrophe.

The icing on the cake is to mention to her how lonely her

retirement will be
when you are out sailing the world - without her.

Not married, are ya, Gilly?

I do not understand why men are expected to cater to

women's emotionally
driven whims and are expected to "apologize" for not

understanding. Why
aren't women expected to understand men? Why is it assumed

that women are so
handicapped? Why must men yield to this emotional

terrorism?

Maybe someday you'll get lucky....then you might understand.

Women are wired for dealing with children, other women and

some family
matters. Men are wired for dealing with the external

world - things such as
attacking beasts, danger, dinosaurs, thugs, science,

sailing and the like.
In your situation there was a conflict between the manly

world and the
woman's world. It looks like the costliest solution won.

It is unfortunate that the great and powerful mind of that

Master Mariner
Capt Neal is not here to contribute further on this

subject. I am certain
that he would add brilliant insight.

I believe he's batting for the other team now.

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"Gilligan" wrote in
message . ..
Leave the wife home. Obviously she can not contribute to

the solution of the
problem, she can only make matters worse. Just think of

what might have
happened if someone was injured or quick action was needed

to prevent
catastrophe.

The icing on the cake is to mention to her how lonely her

retirement will be
when you are out sailing the world - without her.

Not married, are ya, Gilly?

Not ever married, no kids and no boat! Life is bliss!

I do not understand why men are expected to cater to

women's emotionally
driven whims and are expected to "apologize" for not

understanding. Why
aren't women expected to understand men? Why is it assumed

that women are so
handicapped? Why must men yield to this emotional

terrorism?

Maybe someday you'll get lucky....then you might understand.

Maybe someday your wife will get a clue:

http://www.amazon.com/Proper-Care-Fe.../dp/0060520612

Get her one for Christmas.

From Publishers Weekly
In her newest book, Schlessinger (10 Stupid Things Women Do to Mess Up Their
Lives) relies upon her experience in private practice, radio and letters she
received from men and women in tackling the issue of women who mistreat
their men and suffer the consequences of unhappiness. The women who
criticize their husbands in the stories that Schlessinger relates are
depressed in their marriages and feel little love from their husbands.
Unabashedly asserting that man is a "very simple creature," who needs only
"direct communication, respect, appreciation, food, and good loving'" to
respond with devotion, compassion and love, this controversial marriage and
family therapist claims that every woman can achieve a deeply satisfying
marriage if she adheres to certain fundamentals men require. Preparing
dinner, caring for the children without complaint, greeting her husband with
a kiss and engaging in sexual intimacy instead of "tearing down a husband's
necessary sense of strength and importance" can result in the harmonious
marriage women crave. While many of her listeners and readers claim her
unequivocal advice has salvaged teetering marriages and improved marital
harmony, others perceive Schlessinger as a throwback to what many see as
years of female oppression in the home.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All
rights reserved.

After reading that fine book I would swear that Capt Neal himself wrote it.
Countless marriages have been saved by this book. Dr Laura sets women
straight. Plus Dr. Laura is a fine sailor who sails her boat into the berth
without the aid of a motor. David should get this book for his wife and get
sailing lessons from Dr. Laura.

Women are wired for dealing with children, other women and

some family
matters. Men are wired for dealing with the external

world - things such as
attacking beasts, danger, dinosaurs, thugs, science,

sailing and the like.
In your situation there was a conflict between the manly

world and the
woman's world. It looks like the costliest solution won.

It is unfortunate that the great and powerful mind of that

Master Mariner
Capt Neal is not here to contribute further on this

subject. I am certain
that he would add brilliant insight.

I believe he's batting for the other team now.

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
DSK DSK is offline

Scotty wrote:
I believe he's batting for the other team now.

Wearing a shinguards and one of those big round mitts.

DSK