posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Shame and debasement

Gilligan wrote:
Leave the wife home.

She wants to sail.

Obviously she can not contribute to the solution of the
problem, she can only make matters worse.

Because he doesn't have the patience or whatever to communicate the
workings properly.
Just think of what might have
happened if someone was injured or quick action was needed to prevent
catastrophe.

He would have fallen apart.

The icing on the cake is to mention to her how lonely her retirement will be
when you are out sailing the world - without her.

No...for Christmas he should buy her sailing lessons with a female
instrictor or a male instructor with a ;ot of experience teaching women
and children..and the daughter should go, too/ I did not learn to sail
by being taught by my husband. He assumed too much. And when I got it
wrong he ye;;ed. So I sought out others with a lot of sailing experience
and began sailing on their boats. Funny how other people are loathe to
yell at you on their boats. The constraints of pioliteness with someone
elses wife helps a lot. (And their wife will crawl all over them if they
yell at you.)

I do not understand why men are expected to cater to women's emotionally
driven whims and are expected to "apologize" for not understanding.

He acted like an asshole. If he doesn't apologize just what do you
think the consequences at home will be? I suppose there are some men who
prefer the vouch for life.
Why
aren't women expected to understand men?

They do. That's the problem.

Why is it assumed that women are so
handicapped?

Men make this assumption. It makes them feel manly and strong. Goes
back to the cave days. The genetics haven't been wiped out yet.

Why must men yield to this emotional terrorism?

Because they like warm bodies...

Women are wired for dealing with children, other women and some family
matters.

Dealing with children means a woman deals with every aspect of life:
danger, illness, transportation, education, feeding, clothing, caring,
emergencies, disasters, household management. ALl the things you need
to deal with when sailing.

Men are wired for dealing with the external world - things such as
attacking beasts, danger, dinosaurs, thugs, science, sailing and the like.

You've never seen my mother go after a snake with a hoe. Or my
grandmother after a fox that got into her chickens. You are making
incorrect suppositions here. Women face beasts all day. They face the
external world everyday when they have to deal with teachers, the
pharmacist, the doctor, and the repairmen who come to the hoise to fix
ehatever her husband can't.

In your situation there was a conflict between the manly world and the
woman's world. It looks like the costliest solution won.

Bunk.....

It is unfortunate that the great and powerful mind of that Master Mariner
Capt Neal is not here to contribute further on this subject. I am certain
that he would add brilliant insight.

And thank God for that...

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

The wife should buy hubby an auto pilot for christmas so she can stay home
and face all those challenges of raising children that You speak so highly
of. I noticed dear kate You ignored the part where the hubby stated he has
told her and shown her time and time again how to do things and she can't
seem to get it. Of course you blame the man for not having patience with the
female but did You ever stop to think maybe she's just not smart enough to
get it. Oh wait that takes thinking. sorry
"katy" wrote in message
Gilligan wrote:
[...]

"Scotty" wrote in message

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"Scotty" wrote in message
news

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message

I like your second post much better, but can you think

of
any other things
you should have done differently?

When he wrote about throwing the anchor, I thought he

was
going to try to kedge off.

SBV

It's kinda funny, but no one has mentioned what started

all of this: the
engine. If one relies upon their engine to be able to get

back home or to
get out of trouble, having it "slowly stop running"
should

be a matter of
concern. I believe that the first order of business

shouldn't have been
continuing the sail, but in finding out why the engine

died, and fixing it.

He did mention the fuel pump. I believe his wife failed to
replace it the night before, even though she knew it was
going to die the next day.

snort

Seahag

"katy" wrote in message
Gilligan wrote:
[...]

I have an auto-pilot and I use it when singlehanding.
Now along those lines a story about a marraige gone bad. Years ago, we
were caving with a husband wife team and were going down a really bad
road in their 4WD truck, came to a deep water filled hole. Henry stops
the truck and says "Mary Lou, why dontcha get out and lock in the hubs"
which she dutifully does while standing in water. Henry turns to me
and says "you didnt know I had automatic hubs did you". They got
divorced.
Kathy cannot sail I think mostly cuz she doesnt want to. She has never
been calm on the water cuz she was brought up inland up north and isnt
really a good swimmer either although good enough. She just doesnt
relax near the water. She is fine in the mountains climbing or hiking
but water makes her nervous. After many years, I understand this and do
not pressure her to like it. She has taken sailing lessons but
promptly forgot them because it just isnt her thing. I built the
little MiniCup sailboats cuz I thought her and the kids would like
them. The kids loved them but she tried once and wont go near them
again. Its just not her thing.

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Frogwatch" wrote:
Vic Smith wrote:
wrote:

Don White wrote:
wrote:
snip..
They tow us to the dock
and I go to pay. By this time I was seriously happy
to be off the boat
with my wife so even *the astonishing cost of $480*
didn't faze me
much. It was $10/ft for the ungrounding (28'
sailboat) and then $165
minimum and a couple other fees.
snip...

Whoo hoo! Around here the Coast Guard...or some
friendly boater will
always come to the rescue...for free.

Re-thinking this, I regret posting it. It has me
blaming my wife for
my predicament when I had nobody but myslf to blame. If
I had
displayed much more confidence and a fun atitude I could
probably have
talked my wife into enjoying the overnight grounding.
Unfortunately, I
consider sailing to be an excercise in problem solving
so I do not sail
for the same reasons she does. I DID invite her. I
apologize.

Well, you had me convinced you were right the first time,
and now
you've convinced me again. Have you considered sales?
I do like the second convincing more.

--Vic

I think I have gotten too confident in problem solving
without taking
into account the human dimension. This is probably why I
enjoy single
handed sailing.
The solution would really have been to wait. There was no
danger
although it is supposed to hit 30 degrees tonight. With
two cell
phones, nobody would have to worry about us. Even if the
wind direcion
did not change and I was unable to rig a fuel feed.
SOMEBODY would be
coming down that channel on Monday.
I sulked the entire night after it happened cuz it really
hurt my
pride. I probably should go make amends.

See ya.

Yeah, it's Soooo much fun going for a pleasure sail and
having to bust one's balls tacking and rebuilding engines
when all you were wanting to do was relax before hitting the
weekly grind the next day.

Godivas are good:^)

Seahag

Chi Chi wrote:
The wife should buy hubby an auto pilot for christmas so she can stay home
and face all those challenges of raising children that You speak so highly
of. I noticed dear kate You ignored the part where the hubby stated he has
told her and shown her time and time again how to do things and she can't
seem to get it.

He obviously has no teaching skills, Neal.

Of course you blame the man for not having patience with the
female but did You ever stop to think maybe she's just not smart enough to
get it.

Or he's not communicative enough to express the correct thing to do?

Oh wait that takes thinking. sorry

Something he obviously didn't do.

"katy" wrote in message

Gilligan wrote:

[...]

OK...after reading his explanation of the history of sailing in his
family, I addend this. WHen you take her sailing, don't ask her to do
anything. Make her as comfortable as possible. Have a bottle of wine
on board. A boc of chocolates, a good book. Ig things get dicey, don't
get mad. Just clear the decks and do what has to be done. And get your
engine fixed so it never happens again. DON'T not take her sailing when
she asks. Take fer, grit your teeth, and think of the benefits that
might come from being pleasant for the day.
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Ryk Ryk is offline

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:19:14 GMT, in message

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

I apologize in advance if this sounds offensive, but with that size
boat and the potential for incidents like this to happen, laying out a
few bucks a year for towing and ungrounding assistance is essential.

That probably depends on where and how one sails. I'm not shy about
touching bottom gently, but so far have always managed to get out of
things without help. (Knocks on wood...) Eventually I will probably
have a grounding that requires outside assistance that I have to pay
for, but paying out yearly for towing assistance just goes against the
grain of self sufficiency.

Of course, I have the advantage of sailing mostly in deep water...

Ryk

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

It also sets you up well for if you don't manage to get off. Drying out completely can be very serious for some boat as they won't float off again without flooding through cockpit lockers. If you don't get off, put a little bit of heel on the boat away from the direction the anchor is set and take up on the halyard so the boat settles with some tension on the anchor rode holding her up. This will be a precarious position since having the anchor pull out could let the boat fall over but it may be better than having her flood when the tide comes back in. If the anchor does come out it should drag slowly enough that there won't be a crash. You would still want to move around very carefully, if at all, untill the tide comes back in.

--
Roger Long

"Wayne.B" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:23:25 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

If this doesn't work, put a block on the anchor line and run it up the mast with a halyard. Winching the anchor line will then heel the boat powerfully, reducing the draft as you drag the boat off.

Snatch block on the anchor line, taken up with a halyard.

Just when you think you've seen all of the clever tricks on a
sailboat, along comes another one.

Good one Roger.

katy wrote:

"katy" wrote in message

Gilligan wrote:

[...]

katy:

In a long term relationship, you never stop hoping the other partner
will someday get interested in what interests you. She seems to think
that someday i will miraculously be interested in going to plays. I
foolishly think that maybe she will somehow get interested in sailing..
There is also the teaching aspect. SHE IS a teacher by profession and
I am not. I just expect copmpetence from people and I admit to having
little patience.
Generally, you cannot choose the conditions when you go sailing, you
look out to sea and either go or not. I've backed down from family
sailing trips due to weather but this time it looked OK in spite of no
other boats being out and generally I think I can fix anything on my
boat. Given time, I could have fixed the engine and had a great story
to tell. OK, I still have a story but I just dont look good in it.