posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default Shame and debasement

I always have trouble coming up with appropriate post titles. Next time, can I ask you?

It isn't often realized just what a vital safety device a towed dinghy is in situations like this. Even in Maine's high and thus fast falling, tides, I've jumped in the dinghy, hooked the anchor over the transom, rowed it out, and been back on the boat fast enough to pull off with the anchor rode led to a jib halyard winch before the tide fell enough to stick fast. You really have to jump though when working against a 12 foot tide.

If this doesn't work, put a block on the anchor line and run it up the mast with a halyard. Winching the anchor line will then heel the boat powerfully, reducing the draft as you drag the boat off.

--
Roger Long