posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Shame and debasement

"Frogwatch" wrote in news:1164000104.521584.101920
@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

I probably should go make amends.

No problem. The mall diamond stores open at 9AM, right on time....

Larry
--
Halloween candy sure has dropped in price, lately!
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

As I read your original post, I was thinking "What a jerk this guy is.
It's a wonder he's still married."

But I gotta admit, I really enjoyed reading it.
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Don White wrote:
wrote:
snip..
They tow us to the dock
and I go to pay. By this time I was seriously happy to be off the
boat
with my wife so even *the astonishing cost of $480* didn't faze me
much. It was $10/ft for the ungrounding (28' sailboat) and then $165
minimum and a couple other fees.
snip...

Whoo hoo! Around here the Coast Guard...or some friendly boater will
always come to the rescue...for free.

Re-thinking this, I regret posting it. It has me blaming my wife for
my predicament when I had nobody but myslf to blame. If I had
displayed much more confidence and a fun atitude I could probably have
talked my wife into enjoying the overnight grounding. Unfortunately, I
consider sailing to be an excercise in problem solving so I do not sail
for the same reasons she does. I DID invite her. I apologize.

David OHara

David,

I like your second post much better, but can you think of any other things
you should have done differently?

You should have just had your wife taxied to shore.
She's wasn't wrong by not wanting unplanned adventure, but you weren't wrong
in wanting to handle the problem without dropping half a grand. If she
doesn't mind time away, I'd suggest you do your sailing alone or with people
who understand that challenge is part of the deal.
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
DSK DSK is offline

wrote:
snip..
They tow us to the dock

and I go to pay. By this time I was seriously happy to be off the boat
with my wife so even *the astonishing cost of $480* didn't faze me
much. It was $10/ft for the ungrounding (28' sailboat) and then $165
minimum and a couple other fees.

snip...

That's how they make their money. Often people are so
torqued up they'll pay ANY price, even salvage.

Don White wrote:
Whoo hoo! Around here the Coast Guard...or some friendly boater will
always come to the rescue...for free.

Our Coast Guard seems to have better things to do these
days. They will not tow a boat unless there is risk to life,
and even then they usually just yank everybody off.

wrote:
Re-thinking this, I regret posting it. It has me blaming my wife for
my predicament when I had nobody but myslf to blame.

I didn't read it that way.

.... If I had
displayed much more confidence and a fun atitude I could probably have
talked my wife into enjoying the overnight grounding.

Now you're thinking. Pretend it's one of those "oops, we're
umm out of gas" moments.

.... Unfortunately, I
consider sailing to be an excercise in problem solving so I do not sail
for the same reasons she does. I DID invite her. I apologize.

Sounds to me as though you are determined to be a
singlehander, and work to justify it. It's OK! It's allowed!
You sound like the kind of person who cannot enjoy relaxing,
and your wife is probably very well aware of this.

Making amends is not a bad idea... flowers or perhaps a
night out at her favorite restaurant.

In any event, *if* she ever goes sailing with you again,
make a note to yourself:
1- don't cause yourself problems to enjoy solving... PAY
****ING ATTENTION!
2- Pretend you're relaxing and having a good time, maybe
she'll realize you're faking it (women aren't stupid about
such things) but she'll appreciate it anyway.
3- Try to let her get some enjoyment out of the occasion,
whatever it is that she enjoys.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:
Don White wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Good re-thinking David. First off, your engine problem was your fault,
second, you ran aground. 3rd, you should have jumped in and swam out
with the anchor, dove down and planted it deep so you could kedge
yourself off. 4th at the time you ran aground the tide was changing and
you would have been free in an hour or two, you could have given your
daughter a fishing pole and headed below with your wife to pass the
time. 5th you are right, getting fustrated at the wife for messing up
the tacks was un called for, I'd kept sailing in circles all night
until she got it right, laughing and slamming down a shot of
jeagermiester every time she got it wrong, Remeber the only difference
for adversity and adventure is attitude.

Joe

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message

I like your second post much better, but can you think of

any other things
you should have done differently?

When he wrote about throwing the anchor, I thought he was
going to try to kedge off.

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Scotty" wrote in message
news

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message

I like your second post much better, but can you think of

any other things
you should have done differently?

When he wrote about throwing the anchor, I thought he was
going to try to kedge off.

SBV

It's kinda funny, but no one has mentioned what started all of this: the
engine. If one relies upon their engine to be able to get back home or to
get out of trouble, having it "slowly stop running" should be a matter of
concern. I believe that the first order of business shouldn't have been
continuing the sail, but in finding out why the engine died, and fixing it.

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Scotty" wrote in message

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

It's kinda funny, but no one has mentioned what started

all of this: the
engine. If one relies upon their engine to be able to get

back home or to
get out of trouble, having it "slowly stop running" should

be a matter of
concern. I believe that the first order of business

shouldn't have been
continuing the sail, but in finding out why the engine

died, and fixing it.

He did mention the fuel pump. I believe his wife failed to
replace it the night before, even though she knew it was
going to die the next day.

Scotty

Oops. My bad.