Default Yet another rescue

This seems to be the season. There was another rescue off
Massachusetts a few days ago.

Here's the fullest report, from the home town of the sailors:
http://www.thisisdorset.net/display....from_death.php

The Coast Guard took some videos, though you can't see much:
http://www.uscgnewengland.com/go/doc/778/137967/

The vessel, La Bella, is only described as a 35 foot sloop. It had
been purchased a month before and the new British owner was taking it
from New Jersey to Bermuda. The keel was reported as "breaking
apart" which sounds like a loose keel bolt, perhaps. The EPIRB which
saved them was a last minute addition and was registered only hours
before it was used.

Idiots!!

Cap'n Ric

Why are they idiots?

We do not have enough information to judge this.

Did they have a proffessional survey done befor purchase?

If so was it done properly?

It seems the surveyor has a lot to answer for!

Capt ric shoots from the lip I think without enough information!!

Sink im!!

Oliver Fleming (captain WITH certificate)

"Cap'n Ric" wrote in message
Idiots!!

Cap'n Ric

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 19:11:26 +1000, "Oliver Fleming"
wrote:

Why are they idiots?

We do not have enough information to judge this.

I disagree.

A 35 ft boat does not belong offshore on the north atlantic this time
of year, particulary one that is new to the owner. I don't think you
would find too many people in the professional delivery business
willing to take on that assignment, and I doubt that there are *any*
insurance companies that would take on the risk.

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:30:22 -0500, Gogarty
wrote:

At least one like this turns up every single year. A friend of ours set
off from New York for Bermuda in an Amel 40 with one crew in
mid-November. They made it but not before being knocked down several
times. And this fellow was no amateur. Came to New York from Venezuela,
continued on to Europe andf is now back in Venezuela. Winter North
Atlantic is tough.

It certainly is, even without a storm or major frontal system. 20 to
25 kt winds and 10 to 15 ft seas are average conditions, and then it
starts to *really* blow every 4 or 5 days. At least they were in a 40
ft boat that was well shaken down instead of a recently purchased 35.

It has been my experience that virtually all used boats have some sort
of deferred maintenance issue not discovered in the survey or sea
trial. The surveyor just does not have time to poke into everything
and take the boat apart.