Garrison Hilliard

Default River rescue crews hope for safe day on the water

Monday, May 30, 2005
River rescue crews hope for safe day on the water

By Ryan Clark
Enquirer staff writer

For the first time in three years, officials expect a high turnout on the water
for Memorial Day weekend, because of the relatively good weather forecast.

"We saw everybody getting ready," said Dale Appel, captain of the Boone County
Water Rescue. "There's going to be more out than we've seen for a while."

Last year, storms flushed debris into the Ohio River, and bad weather forced
people off the waterways two years ago. Appel said last week that the river was
at 27 feet, and slowly falling, making for perfect conditions to open the
boating season.

Appel and his staff will be out in force today.

"It's been two years since we've had a Memorial Day that was halfway decent,"
Appel said. "If a person has a boat, they'll be out for the weekend, and they'd
better be following the rules."

Nationally, an average of 95 boating accidents occur in May, according to the
U.S. Coast Guard. July, with an average of 157 deaths, is the most dangerous
boating month.

"Put safety first," Appel said. "Don't overload your boats, take time when
you're passing other boats. Watch your wake, and be considerate to others."

Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Resources officials said nine people died on Kentucky
waterways in 2004, including two at Williamstown Lake in Grant County, and one
in Owen County.

In 2003, a man fell out of his boat on the Licking River and drowned, while two
others died in Gallatin County. Ten people died that year.

"Do not just put your flotation device on - buckle it," said Lt. Mike Fields,
boating education coordinator for Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Resources.

"And if there's any other advice I could give, it would be that alcohol and the
water do not mix. Do not drink while boating."

Fields said it's a combination of recreational boaters, a sharp bend in the Ohio
River and barge traffic that makes the Cincinnati waters dangerous.

In 2003, the state's only person to drown in a boating accident while wearing a
life jacket died east of Cincinnati at the Meldahl dam, when the fisherman's
boat overturned.

Appel said boaters should make sure all safety equipment has been checked and
all batteries charged.

"You never know what can happen," he said.

"But we want to make sure everyone is as safe as possible."

E-mail

The Enquirer/Patrick Reddy

SAFETY TIPS
Wear a life jacket at all times

Do not drink alcohol when operating a boat

Take a boating safety class

Get boat checked for safety and maintenance

To register for a boater safety class or schedule a safety inspection, go to the
Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Web site at
http://fw.ky.gov or the
Ohio Department of Natural Resources at www.dnr.state.oh.us

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...25/1059/NEWS01