Famous Amos Moses®

Default Sunburned lips ??

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:30:17 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

snip
Anyway, I guess the brim of my hat isn't wide enough or the sun was too
low.. snip

.....and/or reflective UV off the water.

Wwj2110

is there any remody (after the fact) that helps in this
situation??

rub chicken**** on lips. keeps you from licking them
Jim Hollenback

Steve ) wrote:
: I know this maybe slightly OT but anyone who cruises must have experienced
: sunburned lips.

: We have had some really nice sunny days, the last month or so.. I have been
: wearing a brim'ed floppy hat and long sleeves to protect my ageing light
: skin.. I have sun screen (spf 30 or 40) on board but prefer the protection
: of the clothing. Don't like the greasy feel of the sun screen.

: Anyway, I guess the brim of my hat isn't wide enough or the sun was too
: low.. I sun burned my lips. This has happened before and it is a mess for
: about a week while they heal.

: In your experience, is there any remody (after the fact) that helps in this
: situation??

: In the future, I will take some lip protections and wonder what is the best
: in that catgory??

: Recommendations welcomed (lectures deserved).

I've seen sun blocking chapstick. But is it sun or wind? I use chapstick
all day long while crusing and generally don't have a problem with the lips.
It is mostly my nose, and for that I use regular sunblock.

--
Jim Hollenback

my opinion.
Cindy Ballreich

Steve wrote:

In your experience, is there any remody (after the fact) that helps in this
situation??

Medicated chapstick during the day and aloe vera at night. These
will speed up the healing a little, but it's still pretty
uncomfortable.

In article , Steve says...

I know this maybe slightly OT but anyone who cruises must have experienced
sunburned lips.

Wind-'burn' as well.

In the future, I will take some lip protections and wonder what is the best
in that catgory??

For 'normal' usage, any 'chap-stick' type product will work well. I personally
use Blistex, which is rated at SPF-15. If it is a sunny/scorcher of a day, I
will upgrade to Ombrelle chap-stick (SPF-30), comes in a solid plastic stick
thing that you put on - looks a little white, but that just makes you look like
a sailor!

Hope you heal fast

Scott Bayfield 29 "Discovery"

Jim Woodward

I like a product made by Blistex called DCT for protection:
http://www.blistex.com/frame%20content/DCT.htm

It's a little greasier than Chapstick and seems to stay on longer.
It's only SPF 20, however, so I start with 45 over my whole face,
including lips.

Jim Woodward
www.mvfintry.com

"Steve" wrote in message ...
I know this maybe slightly OT but anyone who cruises must have experienced
sunburned lips.

We have had some really nice sunny days, the last month or so.. I have been
wearing a brim'ed floppy hat and long sleeves to protect my ageing light
skin.. I have sun screen (spf 30 or 40) on board but prefer the protection
of the clothing. Don't like the greasy feel of the sun screen.

Anyway, I guess the brim of my hat isn't wide enough or the sun was too
low.. I sun burned my lips. This has happened before and it is a mess for
about a week while they heal.

In your experience, is there any remody (after the fact) that helps in this
situation??

In the future, I will take some lip protections and wonder what is the best
in that catgory??

Recommendations welcomed (lectures deserved).

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Jack Rye

Just a tip on Sunscreen and Sunburn Treatment.

The sunlight that reaches the earth has ultraviolet A and B (UVA and UVB)
rays. These ultraviolet lights are the main causes of damage to the skin
from the sun. UVA and UVB rays affect the skin's sensitivity to sun exposure
in different ways. Sunscreens that say "broad-spectrum" can protect the
skin from both UVA and UVB rays. Sunscreens come in lotions, gels, creams,
and ointments.

Apply sunscreen to all the skin that will be exposed to the sun, including
the nose, ears, neck, scalp, and lips. Sunscreen needs to be applied evenly
over the skin and in the amount recommended on the label. Most sunscreens
are not completely effective because they are not applied correctly. It
usually takes about 1 fl oz (29.57 mL) to cover the body of an adult.

Apply sunscreen every 2 to 3 hours while in the sun and after swimming or
sweating a lot. The SPF value will actually be less if a person is sweating
heavily or doing water activities because water on the skin will reduce the
amount of protection the sunscreen provides.

Sunscreen effectiveness is also affected by the wind, humidity, and
altitude. Some sunscreens say they are water-resistant or waterproof and can
protect for about 40 minutes in the sun if a person is doing a water
activity. Wet skin can burn easily, so it is important to protect skin even
if you do not feel you are getting sunburned. Apply sunscreen more often if
you are doing a water activity.

Wearing a T-shirt while swimming will not protect your skin unless sunscreen
has also been applied to the skin under the T-shirt.

Use lip balm or cream that has sun protection factor (SPF) to protect lips
from getting sunburned or developing cold sores.

Sunburn Treatment

The best treatment for a sunburn is to prevent getting one. If you have a
sunburn, simple home treatment measures will provide some relief.

Use cool cloths on sunburned areas.

Take frequent cool showers or baths.

Apply soothing lotions with aloe vera to sunburned areas.

Topical steroids (such as hydrocortisone cream) may also help with sunburn
pain and swelling.

A mild fever and headache can be a problem with a sunburn. Lie down in a
cool, quiet room to relieve the headache. A headache may be caused by
dehydration, so drinking fluids may help.

There is little you can do to stop skin from peeling after a sunburn. It is
part of the healing process. Lotion might help relieve the itching.

Jack's wife

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Steve

Thanks for yours and others useful tips.

As it turns out I had some lip lotion onboard with Aloe Vera and that was
what I started using as soon as I realized that my lips were getting burned.

I well curtainly restock my medical cabinet with some of these things that
have been mentioned (less the 'chicken ****')..

I guess I'm in denial, my GP doctor keeps reminding me that my skin is
getting thinner at my age (66) and I bruse and sun burn more easily.

I have never used much sun screen and when I was growing up on the farm and
as a teenager, we intentionally exposed as much bare skin to the sun, while
it was summer. No body wanted to look pail and pasty.. Hense my skin is
very weathered from early exposure to the sun (and 35 years of smoking).

Thanks again for all the constructive comments.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Ean Kingston

Keith wrote:

The only thing I've ever known to work on sunburns is pure aloe vera gel.
I keep a bottle in the refrigerator. I don't know how that would taste in
your mouth though...

I don't know about the 'gel' but I used to own an aloe vera plant and used
it on burns. It is pretty tasteless, just a bit sweet.

For anyone who cares to know, you cut off a leaf of plant, split it in half
and apply the juice/meat/whatever you call it from the inside of the leaf
directly to the burn. I found that it helped ease the pain a little and did
reduce the healing time of bad sunburns a it.

--
due to a significant increase in scams being sent to my e-mail address, I am
no longer makinging it available for direct replies.