Default Grills

Well, Magma sux.

We went to get our grill today, and two successive lid latches fell
apart on
exercising them. Back to the drawing board.

I think this was the forum where insanely expensive (list about a
boatbuck),
but worth-every-penny, grills were discussed a while ago.

Dickenson has shown up on our radar frequently as being the stay-lit
and
hell-for-stout kings; they're only marginally more expensive than the
Magma
model we were expecting to make our new outdoor cooking. They're also
bigger
plate area but notably less BTU, which will make for longer cooking
times,
and don't have a warming rack in the same approximate size as the
Magma, one
of the attractions of that grill.

So, who's had (for some extended period) either or both of those
(Dickenson
and whatever the really expensive one is)? And, I know the expensive
one
sells at shows at some outrageously discounted price (which becomes the

norm, unless you have no other choice,of course) - does anyone know if
Dickenson sells at shows, or has dealers? We now expect (Lydia sez
Ptooey!
cuz she wanted to be gone two years ago) to be here for the Strictly
Sail
show in St. Pete - perhaps that's an opportunity?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at and

"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a
clear
night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize that you
are
quite alone on a great, wide sea, it is apt to occur to you that in the
general scheme of things you are merely an insignificant speck on the
surface of the ocean; and are not nearly so important or as
self-sufficient
as you thought you were. Which is an exceedingly wholesome thought,
and one
that may effect a permanent change in your deportment that will be
greatly
appreciated by your friends."- James S. Pitkin

Skip Gundlach wrote:

Well, Magma sux.

Agreed.

Biggest POS on the planet IMHO.

Yes, I have one, want to buy it?

Lew

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Skip Gundlach wrote:

Well, Magma sux.

Agreed.

Biggest POS on the planet IMHO.

I'll take the dissenting opinion here - I've used a Magma for many
years. I'll admit it had a few problems, but last season I got the
new Magma II round kettle (with the attached lid and piezo starter).
It worked flawlessly - started easily, never went out, temp was nicely
controlled.

I don't have a good place for a rectangular grill, but the round Magma
II seems to work just fine for us.

P.S. I have an old Magma also, any bids?

I just replaced my Dickenson with another after an unfortunate collison with
a piling.

Fawcetts in Annapolis has the large unit for $200.
This time I bought their railmount kit. It makes grill removable so you can
stow it below. ;-)

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Bob Bob is offline

Skip Gundlach wrote:
Well, Magma sux.

We went to get our grill today, and two successive lid latches fell
apart on
exercising them. Back to the drawing board.
Thanks.
L8R
Skip
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

Hi Skip:

Do you realllllly need a grill?
When I got my boat that was the first think I removed. I gave it to
friend living in an old building with iron fire escapes. He bolted on
and used it twice. He said it was too much of a pain.

Iknow this is a real life style choice but will you really burn that
much flesh to justify the cost and head aches?

When I was working in the GOM oilpatch a 55 gallon drum was SOP. Not
sure how much space yall got but maybe a 15.5 gallon SS beer keg??
BBQ Bob

In article .com,
"Bob" wrote:

Skip Gundlach wrote:
Well, Magma sux.

We went to get our grill today, and two successive lid latches fell
apart on exercising them. Back to the drawing board.

Hmmm. We just got a second Magma after the first died after a decade of
heavy use. We could probably have replaced a couple of parts and kept it
running, but I wanted the "party" size, so I can more-easily cook
flotilla-sized servings. Were pleasantly surprised to also get the hinge
-- which has worked for 2-3 seasons now. Ours have been the round ones,
and we couldn't be happier.

Do you realllllly need a grill? When I got my boat that was the first
think I removed. I gave it to friend living in an old building with
iron fire escapes. He bolted on and used it twice. He said it was
too much of a pain.

Iknow this is a real life style choice but will you really burn that
much flesh to justify the cost and head aches?

We use ours for more than meats. Ours makes a great single-burner stove.
Even can bake in it, though we haven't tried that enough to get the
technique down pat except for foil-wrapped veggies and other easy stuff
like that.

When it's hot, it's far more useful than the galley stove, and forget
about an oven.

--
Jere Lull

As I stated earlier, I just replaced my dickenson with another dickenson.
The new one is even better than it's predesessor. We use it alot, mainly to
cook meat and steam veggies, and bake potatoes. In December, we'll be full
time liveaboard cruisers.

Bob Bob is offline

just me wrote:
As I stated earlier, I just replaced my dickenson with another dickenson.
The new one is even better than it's predesessor. We use it alot, mainly to
cook meat and steam veggies, and bake potatoes. In December, we'll be full
time liveaboard cruisers.

Got to agree. Lived with an oil fired model years ago. Nothing like a
toast and dry boat on a wet cold day. The oil fired stoves are greatly
improved over the old school models. When I hit the loto or my ex wife
pays all the back child support she owes I might be able to afford my
dream power boat: Gulf Shrimper 80'x23'x12' and of course that CAT
3412.

http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/shop5...ies-stoves.asp

Then I could slip that sweet Dickinson Atlantic stove in the kitchen.

Yesterday was bright sunny warm with a beautiful wind from the
WNW........ although the fog rolled in. Today wet and gray on the
Oregon Coast.
Bob

Buying WHITE speaker grills oelf92 Electronics 1 May 30th 06 07:54 PM
Speaker grills, white, impossible to find oelf92 General 2 May 26th 06 11:05 PM
Gas Grills *JimH* General 29 July 25th 05 01:01 PM
Boat grills - Are their any good ones? beaufortnc Cruising 6 April 27th 05 05:40 AM
Magna Grills are safer than the force 10 Grills Joe ASA 1 June 3rd 04 05:01 AM