Default Boat Transport across Mexico?

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of (or even useful comments on)
trucking a boat across the Isthmus of Tehuantepec? I'm planning on
getting from the Caribbean to the West Coast of the US sometime after
Christmas - this looks like a possible alternative to Panama (saving
thousands of miles!) or trucking from Florida orTexas. While I'm at
it, how about trucking from the North end of the Sea of Cortez to say,
San Diego, to avoid the California current and headwinds? We're
talking about 4 tons of long-keeled steel 26 footer here, so it
wouldn't need a huge vehicle.

any help much appreciated.

David

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 12:27:38 +0100, wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of (or even useful comments on)
trucking a boat across the Isthmus of Tehuantepec? I'm planning on
getting from the Caribbean to the West Coast of the US sometime after
Christmas - this looks like a possible alternative to Panama (saving
thousands of miles!) or trucking from Florida orTexas. While I'm at
it, how about trucking from the North end of the Sea of Cortez to say,
San Diego, to avoid the California current and headwinds? We're
talking about 4 tons of long-keeled steel 26 footer here, so it
wouldn't need a huge vehicle.

any help much appreciated.

David

The Tehuantepec route is talked about a lot but to my knowledge
doesn't exist. It would be a good service because going along the
Pacific Coast of Mexico near the isthmus is like running across the
freeway. You can do it if you have good information and time it right
but it's really lifethreatening if you screw up. Google on
"Tehuantepeckers."

Marina San Carlos on the mainland side of the Sea of Cortez, near
Guaymas, about halfway up, has a large business handling loading and
unloading boats for transport to the US. They handle the whole
package, including communication with the truck lines.

Check out
http://www.sancarlosmexico.com/marineservice.html under the
"Marina Seca" section.

You can also check out various yacht transport shipping companies
like Dockwise (www.yacht-transport.com/). They won't save you money
but will save time and aggravation.

Hi Dick and Ray,

Thanks for the info; I'll have a go at finding a trucking company at
the borth end; it shouldn't be beyond Google. My sister speaks
Spanish, but maybe someone there speaks English. It's hard to believe
no-one has done this before - it'so obviously a good idea from the map
that there must be a way. As Panama gets less yacht-friendly there's a
business opportunity for someone here!

Cheers,
David.

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 00:48:53 -0700, ray wrote:

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 12:27:38 +0100, wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of (or even useful comments on)
trucking a boat across the Isthmus of Tehuantepec? I'm planning on
getting from the Caribbean to the West Coast of the US sometime after
Christmas - this looks like a possible alternative to Panama (saving
thousands of miles!) or trucking from Florida orTexas. While I'm at
it, how about trucking from the North end of the Sea of Cortez to say,
San Diego, to avoid the California current and headwinds? We're
talking about 4 tons of long-keeled steel 26 footer here, so it
wouldn't need a huge vehicle.

any help much appreciated.

David

How's your Spanish? I've never heard of a commercial boat hauler in
this area but it seems like you could put it on any sizable flatbed
truck by finding a boat lift, setting the keel on some dunnage then
building a cradle around it with scrap lumber. Some of those crankdown
straps, a little gas money and you're ready to roll. You need a lift
on the other end of course. I think Puerto Madero is a commercial
shipping center so you could find a crane capable of picking it off
the truck. You would need cash and luck. An Irishman who spoke fluent
Spanish could do this. If you do find the great NW passage please post
it here and let us know. Buenas suerte.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of (or even useful comments on)
trucking a boat across the Isthmus of Tehuantepec? I'm planning on
getting from the Caribbean to the West Coast of the US sometime after
Christmas - this looks like a possible alternative to Panama (saving
thousands of miles!) or trucking from Florida orTexas. While I'm at
it, how about trucking from the North end of the Sea of Cortez to say,
San Diego, to avoid the California current and headwinds? We're
talking about 4 tons of long-keeled steel 26 footer here, so it
wouldn't need a huge vehicle.

any help much appreciated.

David
Hello David, we are a boat transportation company in Mexico specialized in all types of boats from 30' powerboats to 60' powerboats and up to 80' sailboats all of our transport is ground transportation, you may visit us at www.transportestakata.com we carry from the USA and Canada all over to Mexico we can take you to sea of cortes or anywhere in the pacific marina with travel lifts facilitys, my name is Armando