Dick Locke Dick Locke is offline

Default Boat Transport across Mexico?

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 12:27:38 +0100, wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of (or even useful comments on)
trucking a boat across the Isthmus of Tehuantepec? I'm planning on
getting from the Caribbean to the West Coast of the US sometime after
Christmas - this looks like a possible alternative to Panama (saving
thousands of miles!) or trucking from Florida orTexas. While I'm at
it, how about trucking from the North end of the Sea of Cortez to say,
San Diego, to avoid the California current and headwinds? We're
talking about 4 tons of long-keeled steel 26 footer here, so it
wouldn't need a huge vehicle.

any help much appreciated.

David

The Tehuantepec route is talked about a lot but to my knowledge
doesn't exist. It would be a good service because going along the
Pacific Coast of Mexico near the isthmus is like running across the
freeway. You can do it if you have good information and time it right
but it's really lifethreatening if you screw up. Google on
"Tehuantepeckers."

Marina San Carlos on the mainland side of the Sea of Cortez, near
Guaymas, about halfway up, has a large business handling loading and
unloading boats for transport to the US. They handle the whole
package, including communication with the truck lines.

Check out
http://www.sancarlosmexico.com/marineservice.html under the
"Marina Seca" section.

You can also check out various yacht transport shipping companies
like Dockwise (www.yacht-transport.com/). They won't save you money
but will save time and aggravation.