John Scott

Default Water in the Bilge

I own a 2001 340 Sundancer with twin 7.3. This season i have noticed
an increasing amount of water in the bilge. I do not see water coming
form the motors, cooling system, strainers or genset. I suspect that
the packing boxes are leaking but am not certain. Has anyone had this
problem, with this model? Does anyone have anyother suggestions?
Peggie Hall

I doubt it anything is wrong...it's just time to tight the packing gland
(stuffing box) nuts. This is normal...just something that has to be done
from time to time....the clue is an increasing amount of water in the
bilge. When you can't tighten 'em any more, it's time to repack the
stuffing boxes.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

John Scott wrote:
I own a 2001 340 Sundancer with twin 7.3. This season i have noticed
an increasing amount of water in the bilge. I do not see water coming
form the motors, cooling system, strainers or genset. I suspect that
the packing boxes are leaking but am not certain. Has anyone had this
problem, with this model? Does anyone have anyother suggestions?

Bill Martin

I own a 2001 340 Sundancer with twin 7.3. This season i have noticed
an increasing amount of water in the bilge. I do not see water coming
form the motors, cooling system, strainers or genset. I suspect that
the packing boxes are leaking but am not certain. Has anyone had this
problem, with this model? Does anyone have anyother suggestions?

If you've never tightened the stuffing box, it may well be that. On my boat,
if the box is leaking I can see a wet surface on the hull where the water
runs from the stuffing box down to the bottom of the bilge where it gets
pumped out. It's probably slow enough that you don't actually see any water
running, but the surface of the hull will be wet. If I rub my finger hard
across the wet to dry it and then watch it closely you can actually see a
little flow start again. Or if you dust a tiny bit of powder on it you might
see flow.

Anyhow, look closely at surfaces you might think are just wet and you may see
a miniscule flow which points you in the right direction.

Good luck....

Bill
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes Vito wrote:

Bill Martin wrote:

I own a 2001 340 Sundancer with twin 7.3. This season i have noticed
an increasing amount of water in the bilge....

If you've never tightened the stuffing box, it may well be that. On my boat,
if the box is leaking I can see a wet surface on the hull where the water
runs from the stuffing box down to the bottom of the bilge where it gets
pumped out. It's probably slow enough that you don't actually see any water
running, but the surface of the hull will be wet. If I rub my finger hard
across the wet to dry it and then watch it closely you can actually see a
little flow start again. Or if you dust a tiny bit of powder on it you might
see flow. ...

FWIW the man who surveyed our new old boat said a small seepage was
normal; that if you tighten the gland more it'll just wear faster.

Doesn't this depend on what type packing you have?

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id2.html

Keith

A properly packed and tightened gland shouldn't leak at rest, when the shaft
isn't turning. It should let a bit of water in while underway, but not much.

I repacked mine last time with GoreTex mil-spec packing, and it is virtually
leakproof now. This stuff works great! I'd highly recommend anyone look at
it if you're going to do a full re-pack.
http://www.gore.com/sealants/english...icepacking.pdf

--

Keith
__
"Rosalie B." wrote in message
x-no-archive:yes Vito wrote:

Bill Martin wrote:

[...]

Bill Martin

FWIW the man who surveyed our new old boat said a small seepage was
normal; that if you tighten the gland more it'll just wear faster.

If you have a normal old fashioned stuffing box arrangement, then you want a
little drip while the shaft turns. There is some dispute whether you want it
to drip at rest though. Some people say no. Others say you want a very slow
leak so that the salt water doesn't lay stagnant against your stainless steel
shaft and eventually corrode it.

Typically I compromise. I ignore it until the at rest drip rate gets too
high for comfort, then I tighten it down just to where it doesn't drip at
all. As I use the boat it wears and starts to drip a little at rest which is
ok with me -- just not a lot.

Don't ask me the difference between a little and a lot though. It's based on
how busy I am with other things, and how often the bilge pump runs. Once or
twice a day I'm comfortable with. More than that it starts to bother me.

Good luck with the new boat....

Bill