Bob D.

Default HELP! Water in bilge when running...

I tank tested my boat at dry dock to check shifting and to warm up the
block for changing oil and did not notice (but didn't think to look
closely) any additional water in the bilge.

After launching my new project boat we motored, to the dock where we
stayed stayed for about 24 hours before delivering her approximately 15
miles to my marina. During that period, the bilge did not seem to gain
any additional water.

After our delivery trip, I noted a significant amount of water in the
bilge. I manually switched on the bilge pump and noted it pumped for about
10 seconds until dry. I then completely emptied the bilge using a manual
pump and finally a sponge.

I chalked the water ingress up to the slightly rough ride as we had tons
of spray washing over the bow and into the cockpit.

Came back four days later and noted no additional water ingres. Took the
boat out on another 15 mile trip in very calm weather, and noted a bilge
full of water. Obviously the problem occurs only when the boat is
running.

The boat is a 28 foot Wellcraft with all new transom seals powered by a
Mercruiser 260HP (350 GM Block) mated to an Alpha 1 outdrive. The second
time I drained the bilge, I could feel a slightly oily residue in the
water, but not enough to show a sheen. For all I know that may have been
residual oil from a previous leak or spill. I checked my oil and noted
the level and consistancy had not changed.

Here are my questions:

Where are all the water drainage passages or petcock valves on this
block? Is it possible someone left a valve open during the winterization
process? How much water would an open valve dump into the bilge.

Could this be an exhaust manifold or riser problem? If so, can it be
occuring at only higher RPMs?

Could this be a hull problem even though there is no water ingress when
the boat is docked? Could my movement be forcing water through a crack
in the hull, but remain watertight at dock?

What are some other possible causes that would explain this problem?

When I head back up to the boat, I'm going to try running the boat and
noting any ingress at the dock. Running for several minutes above the
2000 RPMs, I'll also try in gear while docked at reduced engine RPMs

As always, any help in solving this scooby mystery is appreciated.

Bob Dimond
Shawn

hi Bob

Unbelievable!! I have had a very similar problem on my Halvorsen Island
Gypsy 30.

I have traced the problem to water ingress through the hull near the
bulkhead between the engine room and forward cabin on the forward cabin
side - of course the most inaccessible area on the boat.

Have not yet found where the water is entering the boat from the outside but
know where it is coming from inside. I also would appreciate any owner
experience in this area.

To test my observations I plugged the "hole" with sikaflex and it stopped
the leak completely over a period of 24 hours while in the marina
(completely dry) but underway I took in a few buckets of water in an hour.

Sigh . . .

Shawn
"Scallywag"
Brisbane Australia

"Bob D." wrote in message
[...]

Gary Warner

Bob,

I'm not directly knowledgeable about your boat or motor, so
my answers are based on my experience with possibly very
different boats & motors.

How much water would an open valve dump into the bilge.

I believe it could be anywhere from quite a bit to just a drip. On
our engine we have a block-drain valve that can be from full open
to full closed. If we ever closed it but not tightly enough it might
just drip.

Could this be a hull problem even though there is no water ingress when
the boat is docked? Could my movement be forcing water through a crack
in the hull, but remain watertight at dock?

YES. On my fiberglass boat I once hit a sandy bottom. I checked the bilge
and
saw no water. While running to home-dock a LOT of water entered the bilge.
I didn't notice until I slowed down to come into the dock and lots of water
ran forward. (Scarry!). Then I increased speed trying to get back to
dock before we sank. Turns out I should have gone slowly to dock because
it was the fast speed that was "pumping" the water into the crack. (End
of story: We didn't sink.)

Good Luck.
Gary

Bob D.

In article , "Gary Warner"
wrote:

YES. On my fiberglass boat I once hit a sandy bottom. I checked the bilge
and
saw no water. While running to home-dock a LOT of water entered the bilge.
I didn't notice until I slowed down to come into the dock and lots of water
ran forward. (Scarry!). Then I increased speed trying to get back to
dock before we sank. Turns out I should have gone slowly to dock because
it was the fast speed that was "pumping" the water into the crack. (End
of story: We didn't sink.)

So Gary, when you hauled your vessel out, were you able to see the crack
in the hull from your grounding? I bottom painted this beast and aside
from a few *SMALL* chips in the gel coat I could not find any cracks.
Bob D.

Hi Shawn,

So did the boat initially stay dry while docked *before* you plugged the
hole? Or did plugging the hole result in leaking a few buckets per hour
while running, but remaining completely dry while docked.

Bob Dimond

In article , "Shawn"
wrote:

To test my observations I plugged the "hole" with sikaflex and it stopped
the leak completely over a period of 24 hours while in the marina
(completely dry) but underway I took in a few buckets of water in an hour.

Frank Hopkins

Hi Bob,

I had a similar problem with a Mercruiser It turned out to be a leaking
rubber exhaust coupler. This also explains the oily feeling in the water.

Capt. Frank

"Bob D." wrote in message
[...]

Bob D.

Thank you ev eryone. I went to the boat last night and ran her for about
10 minutes, out of gear all the way up to 3000 RPMs (for short bursts),
hovering between 2000-2800 PRMs. In gear I went as high as 2000 RPMs.
Not a drop of water ingress.

So tell me, when you had water ingress due to an exhaust coupler or other
drivetrain component, was it easy to spot dockside? Or did these symptoms
exhibit themselves only underway. For example I *could* see a rubber
coupling work dockside where there are no changing loads, but let out
significant water underway with heavier and frequent changing loads being
placed upon the drivetrain.

Any other suggestions for determining the cause of the problem?

In article J52Jc.12803$ek5.2020@pd7tw2no, "surfnturf"
wrote:

I'm with Cap F on this! Likely and attractive explaination. If not, start
checking all hoses, heat exchanger, and manifold.

surfnturf

"Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi Bob,

I had a similar problem with a Mercruiser It turned out to be a leaking
rubber exhaust coupler. This also explains the oily feeling in the water.

Capt. Frank

Bowgus

My engine cover is a diy and is completely removable allowing full access.
When I had water coming in, I pulled the cover, grabbed my son, took him for
a ride and told him to keep an eye out for water coming in. So maybe grab a
knowlegeable buddy and take him for a ride.

wrote:

I'm with Cap F on this! Likely and attractive explaination. If not,

start
checking all hoses, heat exchanger, and manifold.

surfnturf

"Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi Bob,

I had a similar problem with a Mercruiser It turned out to be a

leaking
rubber exhaust coupler. This also explains the oily feeling in the

water.

Capt. Frank

Frank Hopkins

perhaps you could have someone drive the boat while you observe the engine.

wrote:

I'm with Cap F on this! Likely and attractive explaination. If not,

start
checking all hoses, heat exchanger, and manifold.

surfnturf

"Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi Bob,

I had a similar problem with a Mercruiser It turned out to be a

leaking
rubber exhaust coupler. This also explains the oily feeling in the

water.

Capt. Frank

Water tank vent overboard or bilge orbital General 17 June 29th 04 10:56 PM
Water in the Bilge Ernie General 20 April 16th 04 04:20 AM
Habbi's gearcase full of water K Smith General 9 December 26th 03 11:48 AM
Hooking up flush muffs...no water coming out of discharge (outboard) GeorgeR General 3 October 13th 03 02:24 AM