Vito

Default Water in the Bilge

Bill Martin wrote:

I own a 2001 340 Sundancer with twin 7.3. This season i have noticed
an increasing amount of water in the bilge....

If you've never tightened the stuffing box, it may well be that. On my boat,
if the box is leaking I can see a wet surface on the hull where the water
runs from the stuffing box down to the bottom of the bilge where it gets
pumped out. It's probably slow enough that you don't actually see any water
running, but the surface of the hull will be wet. If I rub my finger hard
across the wet to dry it and then watch it closely you can actually see a
little flow start again. Or if you dust a tiny bit of powder on it you might
see flow. ...

FWIW the man who surveyed our new old boat said a small seepage was
normal; that if you tighten the gland more it'll just wear faster.

Good sailing,
Howard