Bob Bob is offline

Default provisioning

MMC wrote:
"a floating collection of compromises."

Exactly right!

I hold a tost to that. And would like to add regardless power or sail,
26' or 65', a 3000 cuft 0 degree refer and flake ice vertical drum
system or simply a warm beer..... even Granny Rosie and I would both be
able to smile and agree that boats, water, and travelling are fun!

So while your grilling that stake and sitting in the aft hot tub, I'll
be sitting in my cockpit drinking a pt of soymilk (shelf life 1 year)
smiiling while I give you a big wave. And hoping for a gernerous
invation to share your steak and swaping sea stories.

Bob

Jack Dale wrote:
On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 09:24:24 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:06:13 GMT, wrote:

. . . In areas like Desolation Sound, that is essential, water is sparse. I hate
having to go look for water. . .

?? Have things changed up there? I cruised Desolation Sound, etc.,
extensively in the '70s and filling a coupla jerry cans while venturing
ashore was easy, fresh water lakes and creeks galore. Fresh water is
much more problematical in places like the Sea of Cortez.

Not to mention that I do not have any test kit to check the quality of
potable water that I could find ashore.
At time when I am not sure of the water either I do not use it or I use a
feed drops of Clorox (Javex) water then I boil it for drinking. It not fool
proof but for the lack of a better thing it is worth getting use to. I can
remember one time I was about to fill two 5 gallons containers when I found
out that it was salty sea water. One other time, I ask the general store
owner if I could fill my containers with potable water. He replied not a
problem. Then I said what's that smell (rotten eggs). He replied it is
high mineral content water we dring it every day and its been approved for
human consumption. I rowed back on my boat and did not pour the water into
my tank but left the containers in the cockpit. Now that I am shopping for
new sailboat I want to make sure that I dot run into the same problems as
before.
BTW: Clorox (Javex) was widely used by the armed forces water tankers in
the Congo.

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...

On 19 Aug 2006 22:38:10 -0700, "Bob" wrote:

So while your grilling that stake and sitting in the aft hot tub, I'll
be sitting in my cockpit drinking a pt of soymilk (shelf life 1 year)
smiiling while I give you a big wave. And hoping for a gernerous
invation to share your steak and swaping sea stories.

Stop over for some Hagen Daz ice cream fresh from the deep freeze. It
will really spoil you for soy milk.

wrote:

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:06:13 GMT, wrote:

. . . In areas like Desolation Sound, that is essential, water is sparse. I hate
having to go look for water. . .

?? Have things changed up there? I cruised Desolation Sound, etc.,
extensively in the '70s and filling a coupla jerry cans while venturing
ashore was easy, fresh water lakes and creeks galore. Fresh water is
much more problematical in places like the Sea of Cortez.

Giardia is a issue. They are boil water advisories anywhere the water
comes from natural sources.

Jack

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 17:58:50 GMT, wrote:

BTW: Clorox (Javex) was widely used by the armed forces water tankers in
the Congo.

....not to mention the bleach spray applied to the salad greens at the
grocers store.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Gordon wrote:
WHAT? Drink beaver pee? Omigod!

Dosed with iodine tablets, of course. In the seventies I got a case
of giardia (Eagle Cap Wilderness), undiagnosed for four days, and,
believe me, it's quite unpleasant.