Evan Gatehouse

Default Which engine would you prefer??

"Ken Coit" wrote in message
. com...
pump instead of a prop.

What I do know is that Robinhood Yachts is currently using the Yanmar

3JH3E
in the same hull as our boat. If I can presume that a manufacturer that

is
going to build a $250,000 boat is going to spend at least a little time
analyzing which modern engine to use, then the Yanmar is a good bet.

You'd be surprised. I was present during a discussion about what engine to
use on a 39' racer/cruiser. Choices were Yanmar and Volvo of about same
HP/weight. Volvo won because it was about $1000 cheaper for the builder. I
wanted the Yanmar because I know how much owners have to pay for Volvo
parts.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Ken Coit

I heard from a dealer recently that Volvo is doing better with parts
pricing, but the history is going to be hard to live down. They also seem
to be using Perkins blocks in some of their engines.

I think the amount of good will they have lost is probably fatal and I would
not want to bet the success of my 39 ft. cruiser on a Volvo engine.

Ken

"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in message

"Ken Coit" wrote in message
[...]

noland

"Ken Coit" wrote in message .com...
Presuming you were looking to buy a used boat, which engine would you rather
see in her:

Remanufactured Perkins 4-108
New BetaMarine 1505
New Yanmar 3JH3E

These are all adequate to the job of pushing a 16000 # boat at hull speed,
so the question is one of your personal preference.

Thanks in advance,

Ken Coit
S/V Parfait
Raleigh, NC

I have both a 4-108 which is getting harder to repair or rebuild cost
effectivly, and a Beta marine 1505 which is the Kubota 4 that is
everywhere in the world and still in production, and Yanmar being a 3
makes it a little to shakey for me, so I chose the Beta, and it is
amazing.