Default Composite Propane tank anyone?

Saw this on the Food Network a few minutes ago and had to Google it. A 19
lb composite see-through propane tank made by Lite Cylinder. Same DOT
approvals as steel and aluminum tanks but about half the price of a Seaward
or Manchester 20# aluminum tank. Also about 2" shorter than a regular tank.
Definitely eliminate the corrosion problems.

Evidently they just came on the market because they seem to be hard to find
but some guy on eBay seems to have them:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._BIN_Stores_IT

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in news:VPdxg.834$ok5.750
@dukeread01:

but some guy on eBay seems to have them:

Wouldn't it be prudent to wait for a while to see how many explode into
shards of fiberglass and the ensuing explosion before rushing out to buy
one from "some guy on Ebay"?

There might be a REASON Suburban Propane isn't selling them.....??

I kinda like to sleep next to that big steel tank on the other side of the
FLAMMABLE plastic bulkhead, myself. I don't think I'd sleep well next to a
propane bomb you can SEE THROUGH!

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 20:44:39 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

Saw this on the Food Network a few minutes ago and had to Google it. A 19
lb composite see-through propane tank made by Lite Cylinder. Same DOT
approvals as steel and aluminum tanks but about half the price of a Seaward
or Manchester 20# aluminum tank. Also about 2" shorter than a regular tank.
Definitely eliminate the corrosion problems.

Evidently they just came on the market because they seem to be hard to find
but some guy on eBay seems to have them:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._BIN_Stores_IT

Sailorman in Ft. Lauderdale seems to have them in stock all the time.
They have had them for several months or more.

http://www.sailorman.com/newsailor/base/index.php

The other sources I have found are asking $89 which looks like it may become
the street price.

The Litecylinder web site has a video of the fire test. Looks like the only
thing that gave out was the hose to the monitoring equipment after 13
minutes. Don't think I would trust an aluminum tank that long but I have
some time to wait and see if there is a recall. .

--

wrote:

Saw this on the Food Network a few minutes ago and had to Google it. A 19
lb composite see-through propane tank made by Lite Cylinder. Same DOT
approvals as steel and aluminum tanks but about half the price of a
Seaward
or Manchester 20# aluminum tank. Also about 2" shorter than a regular
tank.
Definitely eliminate the corrosion problems.

Evidently they just came on the market because they seem to be hard to
find
but some guy on eBay seems to have them:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._BIN_Stores_IT

Sailorman in Ft. Lauderdale seems to have them in stock all the time.
They have had them for several months or more.

http://www.sailorman.com/newsailor/base/index.php

I saw them in FIsheries supply in Seattle.

"Larry" wrote

Wouldn't it be prudent to wait for a while to see how many

explode into
shards of fiberglass and the ensuing explosion before

rushing out to buy
one from "some guy on Ebay"?

There might be a REASON Suburban Propane isn't selling

them.....??

I kinda like to sleep next to that big steel tank on the

other side of the
FLAMMABLE plastic bulkhead, myself. I don't think I'd

sleep well next to a
propane bomb you can SEE THROUGH!

yeah! and these fancy new boats they're making outa this
space age material called fiber glass, why you can see
right through the hull. I wouldn't trust one of those
neither. Give me solid wood any day, ya just can't beat it.

SBV

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Saw this on the Food Network a few minutes ago and had to Google it. A 19
lb composite see-through propane tank made by Lite Cylinder. Same DOT
approvals as steel and aluminum tanks but about half the price of a Seaward
or Manchester 20# aluminum tank. Also about 2" shorter than a regular tank.
Definitely eliminate the corrosion problems.

Evidently they just came on the market because they seem to be hard to find
but some guy on eBay seems to have them:

Hi there

We have them here in Denmark and have used them for years now. As far as
i know there haven't been any accidents with them. You can buy them
where you normaly buy your gas wich normaly would be from BP. They call
them BP Gas Light. I couldn't find the tanks on their international
website so here is a link to the danish part:
http://www.bp.com/genericsection.do?...ntId=700 2194

- Lars

"John Weston" wrote See the manufacturer's site
http://www.compositescandinavia.se/index.html

That explains why they are old news to you and Lars. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Scotty" wrote in news:E-
:

why you can see
right through the hull.

You don't REALLY think what comes out of a chopper gun is fiberglass, do
ya?

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Fiberglass_Boats.htm

Man, I hope these tanks ain't made like a Sea Ray!

BOOOM!

From the pictures it looks like they are made from uni with a top ply of
woven. Not exactly a chopper gun layout. I would like to see how they are
fabricated though. Controlling the fiber orientation and density in a
completely enclosed mold is something I am really interested in finding out.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Larry" wrote in message