DSK DSK is offline

Default Composite Propane tank anyone?

Larry wrote:
I kinda like to sleep next to that big steel tank on the other side of the
FLAMMABLE plastic bulkhead, myself. I don't think I'd sleep well next to a
propane bomb you can SEE THROUGH!

Dude, get with the times. Fiberglass is stronger than steel.
They've been making tank armor out of it for years.

DSK

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
Larry wrote:
I kinda like to sleep next to that big steel tank on the

other side of the
FLAMMABLE plastic bulkhead, myself. I don't think I'd

sleep well next to a
propane bomb you can SEE THROUGH!

Dude, get with the times. Fiberglass is stronger than

steel.
They've been making tank armor out of it for years.

Shhhhhhh...that's a military secret.

SBV

Scotty wrote:
"DSK" wrote in message
. ..

Larry wrote:

I kinda like to sleep next to that big steel tank on the

other side of the

FLAMMABLE plastic bulkhead, myself. I don't think I'd

sleep well next to a

propane bomb you can SEE THROUGH!

Dude, get with the times. Fiberglass is stronger than

steel.

They've been making tank armor out of it for years.

Shhhhhhh...that's a military secret.

SBV

I thought that was ceramic armor.
DSK DSK is offline

Don White wrote:
I thought that was ceramic armor.

Who told you about that? They were supposed to kill you
right afterwards.

Are you thinking of Chobham armor?

DSK

Don White wrote:

I thought that was ceramic armor.

Who told you about that? They were supposed to kill you right afterwards.

Are you thinking of Chobham armor?

DSK

Not sure... just saw a numbers of programs on the 'Learning Channel'.
They talk about how tanks have progressed, rate the best tanks in the
world etc.

Have a look at http://www.ragasco.com

These have been used for years here, and by all accounts they are just
as safe as the conventional tanks. It's a spin-off from the production
of rocket engines for guided missiles, btw.

"L" == Larry writes:

L "Glenn Ashmore" wrote in news:VPdxg.834$ok5.750
L @dukeread01:

but some guy on eBay seems to have them:

L Wouldn't it be prudent to wait for a while to see how many explode into
L shards of fiberglass and the ensuing explosion before rushing out to buy
L one from "some guy on Ebay"?

L There might be a REASON Suburban Propane isn't selling them.....??

L I kinda like to sleep next to that big steel tank on the other side of the
L FLAMMABLE plastic bulkhead, myself. I don't think I'd sleep well next to a
L propane bomb you can SEE THROUGH!

--
C++: The power, elegance and simplicity of a hand grenade.

I have snipped the following from www.ragasco.com
It's not laid up from woven material, but spun around a core.
I have no interests in ragasco, other than as a satisfied customer :-)

Frequently Asked Questions

View all the advantages using Complet
All the advantages using Complet is showed under - Products above.

Safety
Safety is the same as or higher than steel. Safety has been the most important design factor during the development project.

The products are constructed in compliance with ADR, based on the requirements of prEN 12245 and approved by the authorities in Germany .

The experience in the market where more than 500 000 units have been shipped out over the last 3 years is very good. Customers and users are very pleased with the performance and handling of our product.

Behaviour in fire
The complet can be burned on a fire without causing other problems than a wild fire.

After a few minutes in a fire, the resin have burned off and the plastic liner melted. The gas pressure inside is relived through the glass fibre structure holding the pressure

No explosion!
fire_test_lpg_complet.wmv (1.89 mb) Fire Test Video (1.89 mb)

Three-piece Complet concept?
- Layer 1 is the seamless gas barrier layer with a boss to assemble the valve into
- Layer 2 is the pressure carrying layer made from continuous fibreglass and resin all around the cylinder
- Layer 3 is the outer casing protecting the pressure cylinder in case of drop,
See the 3 Part Design by clicking here.

The weight of the Complet
- See Technical Specifications
- Easier to lift for the users and handle for the distributors

Translucent
- Easy to see the level of gas inside the Complet. See Visible Gas Level by clicking here.
- You will be able to prevent running out of gas during a BBQ session.

Corrosion and chemical resistance
- Plastic materials do not corrode
- The materials used are resistent to realistic consentrations of acid and solvents
- The pressure vessel is protected by a coating on the outside

Refurbishing
Complet can be easily and inexpensively cleaned by power-washing with water.

Identification of Complet - Standard Marking
- Serial number
- Approval marking
- Corporate logo
- Corporate colors
- ID chip

Performance in colder climates
- The complet is approved and tested down to -40C
- If handled normally, the casing will have no damage at low
temperature, but it?s less resistant to significant impact if
handled severely.

--
C++: The power, elegance and simplicity of a hand grenade.

I noted that in the diagrams under "Complete advantages" that the valve
handles were round, not triangular OPVs. What's up with that?

-- Geoff

Looks like there are two composite tank makers, Lite Cylinder and Ragasco.
Both have "special" DOT approvals so the smaller tanks have to use OPUV.
The Lite Cylinder models look like they are aimed more at the US market
because they have a 20# model and triangular valve handles. The Ragascos
are 16.5# with nonstandard handles. Also Ragasco doesn't seem to have US
distribution yet.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Looks like there are two composite tank makers, Lite Cylinder and Ragasco.

Yeah...I emailed one, I'll make a SWAG and say it was Lite Cylinder,
asking if they had a 40# model (7.+ gals for some, and a different
number entirely for the metric crowd that I had fun with in Canada while
there although the lady took my slip which listed liters and looked it
up on the table to figure out how many gallons that was so she could
charge me in for how many pounds I got, honest...I watched her do it)
and they don't. I was thinking of changing out the metallic ones in my
5th wheel. I figured that there are more than a few people in my
condition in the RV crowd..."Vertically challenged and horizontally
enhanced".