Don Don is offline

Default Sanitation Hose

I am installing a new head and am going to use fresh water for flushing
getting away from sal****er. I would like to know if the fresh water
will disolve the build-up inside the hose or do I need to replace the
whole sanitation line. It's about a 20 to 25 foot run to the holding
tank.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Don

Don wrote:
I am installing a new head and am going to use fresh water for flushing
getting away from sal****er.

You aren't gonna connect a toilet designed to use sea water to your
fresh water system, are you? That can't be done without risk of
contaminating the potable water supply with e-coli, damage to the
toilet, or both...and every toilet mfr specifically warns against it.

ONLY toilets designed to use pressurized flush water can safely be
connected to the fresh water system.

I would like to know if the fresh water
will disolve the build-up inside the hose...

Nope...

... or do I need to replace the
whole sanitation line.

You don't have to do that either. A 12% solution of muriatic acid in
water will dissolve it. Or, if you'd rather not use muriatic acid,
repeated doses of white vinegar will do the trick.

It's about a 20 to 25 foot run to the holding
tank.

Unless it's all downhill, that's at least 4 x further than all but a few
high end electric toilets can move bowl contents...you'll always have
waste sitting in the line, and that will result in stinky hoses. The
optimal distance from the toilet to a tank is 6' or less...10' is the
absolute max.

So I think you may need a bit more help than you asked for. If you'd
like to email me, I'll be glad to help you spec out a system that won't
create more problems than it solves: phnlr (hyphen)misc(at) yahoo(dot)com.

--
Peggie
----------

Peggie Hall wrote:
It's about a 20 to 25 foot run to the holding
tank.

Unless it's all downhill, that's at least 4 x further than all but a few
high end electric toilets can move bowl contents...you'll always have
waste sitting in the line, and that will result in stinky hoses. The
optimal distance from the toilet to a tank is 6' or less...10' is the
absolute max.

This touches on a question I had for you. I've added the manual pump
in series with the electric on my Lavac. The performance has been
getting weaker over the years, and the manual pump is need as a
frequent backup. In tracing all of the hoses I now understand why its
always been sluggish. The water intake line is about 12 feet long,
the head output to the pump should be two feet, but they circled it
around for at least ten, and the holding tank is about 12 or 15 feet
from the pump. Thus the total run is maybe 35 feet, an awful lot for
even the Lavac pump.

Some of this will be dealt with in the Fall (if we last that long!)
but I wonder about one item: The waste line from the pump goes up to 5
feet over the sole, then down under the sole, under the shower, though
the engine compartment and then rises up to go into the holding tank
which is built into the stern steps. This means there's a low section
about 6 feet long, maybe 3 feet lower than the high point near the
tank. Is this very bad, or just sub-optimal? Since I can't shorten
this, should I keep it high, perhaps using some pvc as a conduit to
run it through the shower? And how much do I have to clean the hose
that might not ever come out of the bilge?

TIA, Jeff

Jeff wrote:
Peggie Hall wrote:
This touches on a question I had for you. I've added the manual pump in
series with the electric on my Lavac.

I wouldn't recommend that. I wouldn't recommend the electric Lavac either.

The performance has been getting
weaker over the years, and the manual pump is need as a frequent
backup. In tracing all of the hoses I now understand why its always
been sluggish. The water intake line is about 12 feet long, the head
output to the pump should be two feet, but they circled it around for at
least ten, and the holding tank is about 12 or 15 feet from the pump.
Thus the total run is maybe 35 feet, an awful lot for even the Lavac pump.

Sheesh! O WONDER you have problems! I don't suppose it ever occurred to
anyone so far to read the bloomin' installation instructions?

Some of this will be dealt with in the Fall (if we last that long!) but
I wonder about one item: The waste line from the pump goes up to 5 feet
over the sole, then down under the sole, under the shower, though the
engine compartment and then rises up to go into the holding tank which
is built into the stern steps. This means there's a low section about 6
feet long, maybe 3 feet lower than the high point near the tank. Is
this very bad, or just sub-optimal? Since I can't shorten this, should
I keep it high, perhaps using some pvc as a conduit to run it through
the shower? And how much do I have to clean the hose that might not
ever come out of the bilge?

Who dreamed up THAT nightmare????? The right solution: relocate the
tank! If you don't think that's possible, you're wrong...email me.
--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/books...ku=90&cat=1304

If I had a, let's say, lavac toilet, and a dedicated freshwater tank
for flushing - with a manual pump, why wouldn't it work? Since the
freshwater tank would not be pressurized, wouldn't that solve the
problem? Or are there other issues in regards to salinity that cannot
be worked around?

I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel, just curious. The idea of being
able to use the highly praised Lavac with freshwater and a manual pump
sounds like it might be a good combo.

My boat has more fresh water than I can ever use.

Ruskie wrote:
If I had a, let's say, lavac toilet, and a dedicated freshwater tank
for flushing - with a manual pump, why wouldn't it work?

As long as it's connected to a dedicated tank that isn't linked in any
way to your fresh water system, it WILL work.

When it comes to connecting toilets to the onboard fresh water

Since the
freshwater tank would not be pressurized, wouldn't that solve the
problem? Or are there other issues in regards to salinity that cannot
be worked around?

As long as the supply source is completely separate from the fresh water
supply, it doesn't matter what kind of toilet is connected to it...the
only issue is the danger of polluting the potable water supply. \

And don't think you're out of the woods if you don't drink the onboard
water...you wash your hands in it...then pick up a sandwich. You rinse
out a glass, then pour your bottled water into that glass--which is now
about as clean as your toilet bowl.

I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel, just curious. The idea of being
able to use the highly praised Lavac with freshwater and a manual pump
sounds like it might be a good combo.

The Lavac is a raw watr toilet...if you want to flush with with fresh
water, you'll have to provide a source for the flush water than isn't
connected in any way to your fresh water plumbing.

My boat has more fresh water than I can ever use.

Then take longer showers.

Email me...we'll work out something you'll be happy with.

(Fwiw to those who don't know I've been here since God was an
adolescent, the offer to contact me via email was NOT an attempt to
solicit business. There is NO charge for my help, nor do I have anythin
to sell...and my advice is free.

However, both my publisher and I would appreciate it if you check out
the link in my signature.

--
Peggie
----------

MMC wrote:
Peggie,
Do you recommend white vineger for flushing fresh water systems?

I'm not sure whether you mean toilets that use fresh water, or the
potable water system...so I'll address both.

White vinegar is both an odor eliminator and a mineral dissolver...so
while it's not really needed in toilets that use fresh water, it
certainly can't hurt the hoses to flush a cupful through 'em before the
boat is to sit. Just don't leave it sitting in the bowl, and be sure to
flush it all out of the pump...'cuz while vinegar won't do anything to
soft rubber just passing through, soft rubber left to soak in vinegar
will swell and distort.

Potable water systems: After recommissioning the system each spring, a
solution of 1 quart white vinegar to 5 gal. water left in the tank for
several days--with the pump left on to also keep the solution in the
plumbing--will remove any remaining chlorine or antifreeze taste/smell
in the system. Drain through every faucet, then fill the tank 1/4-1/2
full with clean water and flush the vinegar solution out of the lines.

--
Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/books...ku=90&cat=1304
krj krj is offline

Peggie Hall wrote:

MMC wrote:

[...]

Wow, that means that I need to buy 38 quarts of vinegar for my 140 gal
and 50 gal that I am currently fixing. Didn't realize I would need so much.
krj