Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
sherwindu

Default Approaching a slip with a strong current

Unlike the gentleman who wants to single handle a bober pick-up, I have a
question about how to enter a slip with two crewmen aboard. Theoretically this
can be done under sail, but the first approach should be with an engine, an 9.9
Yamaha outboard
in my case. Problem is that our slip is on a bend in the river, so that with a
strong current flowing, we have to come in bow first to the narrow slip with the
current on
the beam. I have tried to come in a bit upstream of the flow and try to time it
so that
we are in line just as we enter. It's a bit tricky, and there is a tendency for
the stern
to swing downstream before we have a chance to get a line to it. Any
suggestions?

Sherwin D.