Mule

Default Gallup: Poll Finds Americans' Belief in God Remains Strong

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea..._id=1001659292

Gallup: Poll Finds Americans' Belief in God Remains Strong

By E&P Staff

Published: December 13, 2005 12:15 PM ET

NEW YORK A new Gallup survey released today finds that four decades
after the "God Is Dead" controversy was first noted, Americans retain a
strong belief in a higher power. Some 94% think God exists.

Only 5% feel God "does not exist" -- and even most of them "are not
sure" of that. Exactly 1% are certain there is no God.

But how strongly do the believers believe? Nearly 8 in 10, in fact, say
they are "convinced" God exists, although Gallup does not ask them why
that is.

Conservatives are more likely to be convinced than liberals (87% vs.
61%), women a little more likely than men (82% vs. 73%), and residents
of the South more than those in the East (88% vs. 70%).

Surprisingly, some 61% of those who seldom or never attend church are
nevertheless convinced that God exists.

John H.

On 13 Dec 2005 10:35:56 -0800, "Mule" wrote:

[...]

Informative! I wonder what percent of the 'exactly 1%' are boaters on rec.boats.
--
John Herring

Hope your Christmas is Spectacular!
....and your New Year even Better!

Mule wrote:
[...]

Show me one bit of pure scientific proof that god exists, and I'll
believe it. I'm not good at believing in things not verifiable,
especially when it's purpose is profit. Santa Clause? Tooth Fairy?

Mule wrote:
[...]

I wonder how many people in the world believe in Christianity's god?

Doug Kanter

So?

Mule wrote:
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea..._id=1001659292

Gallup: Poll Finds Americans' Belief in God Remains Strong

By E&P Staff

Published: December 13, 2005 12:15 PM ET

NEW YORK A new Gallup survey released today finds that four decades
after the "God Is Dead" controversy was first noted, Americans retain a
strong belief in a higher power. Some 94% think God exists.

Only 5% feel God "does not exist" -- and even most of them "are not
sure" of that. Exactly 1% are certain there is no God.

Doesn't go along with this:

Guess Who Doesn't Believe In God?

Ten percent of Protestants, 21 percent of Roman Catholics, and 52
percent of Jews do NOT believe in God.

That's the surprising word from a new survey by Harris Interactive of
2,306 adults that shows belief in God varies quite widely among
different segments of the American public. How often do we go to a
place of worship? Not much. Most people attend a religious service less
than once a month. Still, Americans are far more likely to believe in
God and to attend religious services than people in most other
developed countries, particularly in Europe.

Who believes in God?
While 79 percent of Americans believe there is a God, only 66 percent
are absolutely certain of it. Nine percent do not believe in God and 12
percent aren't sure. And weirdly, not everyone who calls himself or
herself a Christian or a Jew actually believes in God.

Who worships at a religious service?
Just over half (55 percent) attend a religious service a few times a
year or more. Thirty-six percent attend once a month or more often, and
just 26 percent say they attend every week. Forty-one percent of women
and 31 percent of men attend once a month or more. Protestants (47
percent) are more likely to go to church once a month or more often
than are Roman Catholics (35 percent). Jews are least likely to go with
16 percent saying they go to synagogue once a month or more. Church
attendance is highest in the Midwest and lowest in the West.

Belief in God by geography and age
Eighty-two percent of Midwesterners and Southerners believe in God,
compared with 75 percent in the East and West. Our beliefs get stronger
as we age. Of those 25 to 29 years old, 71 percent believe in God. That
number jumps to 80 percent for people over 40, and hits 83 percent for
those 65 and over.

Other fascinating facts about who believes in God:

84 percent of women believe in God, compared with 73 percent of men.
91 percent of African Americans believe in God, compared with 81
percent of Hispanics and 78 percent of whites.
87 percent of Republicans believe in God, compared with 78 percent of
Democrats and 75 percent of Independents.
82 percent of those with no college education believe in God, compared
with 73 percent who went to college.

Women tend to believe in God more than men........

More people without college educations believe in God than those who
went to college........
Hmmm....

JimH

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Mule wrote:
[...]

I wonder what "believes in God" really means these days.

--

Wow, so many people fighting over God. Is so........is not.....oh
yeah......yeah....well my God is better than your God.......well my Dad can

Get a life folks.

JimH wrote:

I wonder what "believes in God" really means these days.

--

Wow, so many people fighting over God. Is so........is not.....oh
yeah......yeah....well my God is better than your God.......well my Dad
can beat up your Dad......

Get a life folks.

I think my question is on point. As screwed up as this world is and has
been, it seems reasonable to wonder about the nature of god and what
he/she/it has been doing.

Remember the Dylan song, "With god on our side."

It doesn't seem so.

It really was not directed at you Harry and I apologize for having it
attached to your post.

John H.

On 13 Dec 2005 11:25:09 -0800, wrote:

Mule wrote:
[...]

I think most of us are just as happy with your current religious beliefs.
--
John Herring

Hope your Christmas is Spectacular!
....and your New Year even Better!

4.
Dec 13, 1:25 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.boats
From: - Find messages by this author
Date: 13 Dec 2005 11:25:09 -0800

I'm not good at believing in things not verifiable,

Boy, that's the truth!