Shawnews

Default Yanmar 1GM10

Good morning

I hope someone can help with an annoying problem.
I have a Yanmar 1GM10 inboard on my small sailing boat. It runs really well.
Recently I had it serviced, oil changed etc. including replacing the
impeller.

It has had a salt water leak for many years before I owned the boat. I have
only owned the vessel for 2 years.

The salt water is coming through the impeller housing, and dripping from the
designed hole between the impeller and the engine. I sense this is where
the engine shaft goes through to drive the impeller. It is not coming
from a gasket - that would be too easy! I did not see what the seal is like
where the shaft enters the area of the impeller. Is there a replaceable
seal there? Will it need a new impeller housing? I hope not. No gaskets
are leaking at all. He put on a new gasket when he replaced the impeller.

I would appreciate any information you may have in this regard.

Many thanks

Shawnews

Hi Roger

Not on the pump housing where the impeller is. It looks like a designed
hole, sort of oblong with rounded corners, on the narrow part of the pump
housing shaft area that drives the impeller. I am assuming the water is
coming from the housing between the impeller and drive shaft seal, then runs
along the shaft and dropping through the hole.

Thanks

"Shawnews" wrote in message
[...]

John

Most of the pumps I've seen have a pair of rubber seals on the shaft-
one to keep the salt water inside the pump and the other to keep the
oil inside the engine. As you've observed, leaks generally drip from
the gap in the pump housing casting.

As long as the leak is small, this is not a huge problem. However, it
won't cure itself and will only get worse. Once the seal fails
completely, you won't have good cooling flow and you will be stuck.

This is generally a pretty easy repair, once you get the pump separated
from the engine. Be sure to have the new seals in hand before you start
the repair. Depending on the age of the pump, and the amount of grit in
the water, the shaft may be scored/worn in the area of the seals.
Sometimes (eg if you are not near replacement parts) you can polish
this up with emery paper so the new seal will not be trashed.
Otherwise, you should replace the shaft while you have the pump torn
down.

There are a pair of bearings in there as well- getting them
on/off/replaced without messing them up needs some patience and the
right collection of tubes/sockets, etc to drive (or press) things apart
without trashing the bearings. Sometimes you can do the job without
having to mess with the bearings- assuming they are ok.

Water pumps and impellers are a common failure/wear area, so probably a
good place to start doing your own repairs. If you're nervous, you
could save quite a few dollars by just pulling the pump and taking it
along to your mechanic so he can do the job on his bench.

I've done this a couple of times on my Westerbeke- fortunately both
times tied to a nice quiet dock!

John

Roger Long

It's not what I thought it might me. The other reply pretty well
covers it.

You need to either start taking it apart or have someone look at it.

--

Roger Long

"Shawnews" wrote in message
[...]

Alan Gomes

"Shawnews" wrote in message
[...]

Depco Pump may be able to help. www.depco-pump.com.

--Alan Gomes

Leanne

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

On the previous engine I had, I bought a rebuild kit usually that had a new
shaft and seals.
I think this is standard for most water pumps. About every third impeller
replacement, I would order the kit.

Leanne
s/v Fundy

Wayne.B

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 17:48:41 -0400, "Leanne" wrote:

On the previous engine I had, I bought a rebuild kit usually that had a new
shaft and seals.
I think this is standard for most water pumps. About every third impeller
replacement, I would order the kit.

Probably good advice since my experience is that water pumps are one
of the first things to fail at approximately 500 to 1000 hours. My
recommendation would be to buy a complete spare pump and rebuild the
old one at your leisure.

By all means, do not ignore the leaking seal. Things will only get
worse and end with a total failure at some inopportune time.

http://www.depcopump.com/home.htm

or

http://www.torresen.com/

These engines were brought in for the Great Lakes and not meant for salt
water use.
Get that leak fixed very quick. The steel tube transferring the lubrication
oil from one side to the other runs under the leak and will rust and let the
lubricating oil drain out and you will run dry that is what happened to me.
Hundred dollars of repair/maintenance is nothing compare to a new engine.
If you do not know your way around diesel get someone that does and pay the
penalty. If you happen to lose you engine power at sea the cost will be
more. The cost for towing a boat in the US is not always free let alone the
aggravation. While you're getting the leak fixed check the lubrication
steel tube and if it is rusted replace it.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
[...]

They run damn near forever in salt water though. Otherwise, excellent
advice.

BTW do you know if the 2GM20(H) has the oil tube in the same place and
if the pump is the same configuration?

--

Roger Long

Yanmar advice needed Don W Cruising 17 May 21st 06 06:20 AM
Installing a saildrive Yanmar into a 32 Pearson Willy Boat Building 3 March 23rd 06 02:26 AM
EP: Yanmar YSB12 starts after long layup,.. Larry Cruising 1 March 22nd 06 04:06 AM
EP: Yanmar YSB12 starts after long layup,.. Matt Colie Boat Building 0 March 21st 06 07:38 PM
Alternator manager for old yanmar? [email protected] General 1 February 24th 06 06:40 PM