BF

Default Yanmar 1GM10

If you don't already have the manual(s), you might want to take a look here.
http://www.motoren.ath.cx/
BF

"Roger Long" wrote in message
wrote

These engines were brought in for the Great Lakes and not meant for
salt water use.

They run damn near forever in salt water though. Otherwise, excellent
advice.

BTW do you know if the 2GM20(H) has the oil tube in the same place and
if the pump is the same configuration?

--

Roger Long

Larry

"Roger Long" wrote in news:rhung.32956$W97.19823
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

BTW do you know if the 2GM20(H) has the oil tube in the same place and
if the pump is the same configuration?

While we are talking about little Yanmars, let me make a point for all of
you to frequently check the damnable pickup tube in the coolant recovery
tank in indirectly-cooled Yanmars with heat exchanger. The tube is under
the cap, saving them money on having a proper BOTTOM outlet molded into
the tank plastic, itself, that cannot help but pickup any liquids in the
tank.

The tube under the cap starts to leak...or much worse yet falls off into
the tank....allowing, in either case, the heat exchanger to suck air as
it cools down, instead of liquid. The heat exchanger has no trouble when
it's heating putting liquid INTO the tank, but then sucks itself full of
air as it cools. This cycle continues until the heat exchanger is
DANGEROUSLY low on coolant, but when the owner inspects the level in the
tank, it looks like it has PLENTY of coolant from the high level in the
tank. As the level in the heat exchanger gets too low, the engine pukes
STEAM out into the coolant recovery tank and the engine overheats..or
worse.

Make a mark with a grease pencil of the stone cold coolant level after
inspecting the coolant level actually inside the heat exchanger's
pressure cap to make sure it's full. If that cold level ever RISES, your
pickup inside the tank is leaking or has fallen off.

Solution is a new piece of hose inside the cap that does NOT go all the
way to the bottom of the tank to pick up tank crap....5200 sealed to the
cap when it's totally dried because a hose clamp just pinches off the
cheap soft plastic the cap is made from. The 5200 makes a permanent bond
between hose and cap, I know. But, alas, caps are MUCH cheaper than
overheated diesel engines when the tube needs replacing 20 years from
now.

Unwilling to put up with this problem, I solved it permanently by
replacing the whole tank on one boat with a coolant tank out of a
car...properly made to withstand coolant pressure with a sealed cap. It
has the hose coming out the bottom fitting and will PRESSURE FILL the
heat exchanger as its pressure drops, not depend on it sucking fluid
through a straw like Yanmar. His tank was empty as it overheated blowing
steam into the Yanmar tank with the hose fallen off! The Yanmar tank
read FULL!

I'd love to survey the tanks in all the Yanmars in a large marina full of
sailboats to see how widespread the problem is. They should know better.

Mike

I din't have any trouble saving the Volvo manual. Which one couldn't
you save.

Why not just print it out?

Mike
Larry wrote:
"BF" wrote in news:ebe45$449e92f0$48316876$18789
@FUSE.NET:

http://www.motoren.ath.cx/

The website prevents you from SAVING the manuals with a javascript
downloading. If you right click on a manual pointer, they tell you the
manuals are "their stuff" in a popup Javascript refusal. I don't know what
else their javascripts do that might be dangerous to your systems....the
code is LONG.

The Perkins 4.107/4.108 manual is missing.

Useless. The computer won't fit in the engine room so you can see the
manual....

Nuts....

Stephen Trapani

Larry wrote:

"BF" wrote in news:ebe45$449e92f0$48316876$18789
@FUSE.NET:

http://www.motoren.ath.cx/

The website prevents you from SAVING the manuals with a javascript
downloading. If you right click on a manual pointer, they tell you the
manuals are "their stuff" in a popup Javascript refusal. I don't know what
else their javascripts do that might be dangerous to your systems....the
code is LONG.

The Perkins 4.107/4.108 manual is missing.

Useless. The computer won't fit in the engine room so you can see the
manual....

Nuts....

Mine will, it's a laptop! But um, I'm afraid I'll get grease all over it.

--
Stephen

-------

For any proposition there is always some sufficiently narrow
interpretation of its terms, such that it turns out true, and
some sufficiently wide interpretation such that it turns out
false...concept stretching will refute *any* statement, and will
leave no true statement whatsoever.
-- Imre Lakatos
Larry

Stephen Trapani wrote in news:26zng.342
:

But um, I'm afraid I'll get grease all over it.

Imagine it layin in that bilgewater washing over the nice DVD drive in the
side.....or falling over and something sharp punching a hole in the screen!

Yecch...(c;

Stephen Trapani

Larry wrote:

"Mike" wrote in news:1151249620.375190.181400
@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

I din't have any trouble saving the Volvo manual. Which one couldn't
you save.

Why not just print it out?

One of the other Perkins manuals refused to let me right-click to get to
the save function of Internet Exploder. I didn't try any of the others
after receiving the javascript warning popup window.

I downloaded the 2QM15 service manual, no problem.

--
Stephen

-------

For any proposition there is always some sufficiently narrow
interpretation of its terms, such that it turns out true, and
some sufficiently wide interpretation such that it turns out
false...concept stretching will refute *any* statement, and will
leave no true statement whatsoever.
-- Imre Lakatos
scott

I recommend checking-out www.yanmarhelp.com. The site was not all that
easy to find but once connected I had some very specific back and forth
discussion with their help desk guru which saved me a lot of time and
trouble figuring out an overheating problem with my 3GM30.

Good luck,
Scott

"Shawnews" wrote in message
Good morning

I hope someone can help with an annoying problem.
I have a Yanmar 1GM10 inboard on my small sailing boat. It runs really
well. Recently I had it serviced, oil changed etc. including replacing the
impeller.
SNIP

Larry

"scott" jsodellatgmail.com wrote in news:12a2nvl97ipjtc6
@corp.supernews.com:

trouble figuring out an overheating problem with my 3GM30.

Good luck,
Scott

What was the cause of your overheating, Scott?

scott

It's a tough little 3GM30F which ran pretty well for many many hours with
an unrevealed slightly leaky gasket which finally got worse enough to
overheat while motorsailing into a headwind off Canaveral last January. The
increasingly leaky head gasket (between cylinders 2&3 & the pushrod gallery)
started venting into the freshwater cooling side and blowing water out and
also deposited unburnt fuel or lube oil into the remaining coolant.
Messy -- and the low water level resulted in loss of cooling efficiency.
Sailed the rest of the way to Ft. Pierce, planed the head, ground the
valves, put her back together with a new gasket and now she starts
*instantly* and runs like a charm. The only prior symptom was slow starting
when cold. More of the gory details plus some photos are probably still in
the archives at that www.yanmarhelp.com site.

Scott
S/V Itchen

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

They really are great engines. Sorry you lost the gasket.

When I worked at Charleston Naval Shipyard, may she rest in peace, a
painting contractor had a little Yanmar all covered in paint driving a
paint pump to a whole bunch of spray nozzles up the side of our big
building. It was so covered I could hardly identify it! Cooling water
came from a garden hose from the building's water supply and the exhaust
just spit it out on the street after cooling the header and waterbox
muffler.

I asked one of the painters how much trouble they'd had with the little
Yanmar. He said, curtly, "None that I know of and I've been painting
here for years. We just change the oil in it after every job, about once
a month." It seems no other maintenance was necessary...(c; He
estimated it had over 10,000 hours on it as it runs 26 days a month,
every month, only resting as they moved it to a new contract
overnight....24 hours a day on 3 shifts!

I want a Yanmar 36hp outboard motor on a nice, long aluminum boat with a
center console and wide beam for the river, myself. A Yanmar outboard
costs about the same as a Mercedes-Benz E-class from an MB
dealer...dammit.

They cost so much Yanmar dealers in the states don't have them!

Yanmar advice needed Don W Cruising 17 May 21st 06 06:20 AM
Installing a saildrive Yanmar into a 32 Pearson Willy Boat Building 3 March 23rd 06 02:26 AM
EP: Yanmar YSB12 starts after long layup,.. Larry Cruising 1 March 22nd 06 04:06 AM
EP: Yanmar YSB12 starts after long layup,.. Matt Colie Boat Building 0 March 21st 06 07:38 PM
Alternator manager for old yanmar? [email protected] General 1 February 24th 06 06:40 PM