Thomas Wentworth

Default The Tool Kit ,, The Tool Kit ,,

Ok, cruising people ... here is your assignment.

On every cruising sailboat there is a tool kit. Just for fun; what is in
that tool kit?

Name the tools, how many, what kind, what they do, all the gotta haves, how
do you carry them and where, ....

Gordon Wedman

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
Ok, cruising people ... here is your assignment.

On every cruising sailboat there is a tool kit. Just for fun; what is in
that tool kit?

Name the tools, how many, what kind, what they do, all the gotta haves,
how do you carry them and where, ....

Do a search on the SSCA forum. There was some discussion about this a while
ago. www.ssca.org

Wayne.B

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:25:48 GMT, "Thomas Wentworth"
wrote:

On every cruising sailboat there is a tool kit. Just for fun; what is in
that tool kit?

If you are doing serious cruising you really need two sets of tools,
one set with just the basics and readily at hand since you will be
using them all the time, and a second larger set which can be stowed
away somewhere.

Basic set, easy to reach: 4 way combination screw driver, 8 inch
crescent wrench, small and large vice grips, needle nose pliers,
utility knife w/extra blades, WD-40 and a roll of white vinyl rigging
tape.

The advanced set is more boat specific (I know, I know). At the very
least I'd recommend a full set of 1/4 and 3/8 socket wrenches (both US
and metric), a full set of open end and box wrenches (both US and
metric), assorted deep sockets specific to your boat and engine, a
large and small hammer, a very large straight bladed screwdriver, a
block of wood (various uses), wire stripper and crimper, assorted wire
and terminal lugs, electric drill with suitable bits, right angle
ratchet screw driver, large crescent wrench, large channel lock
pliers, heavy duty wire cutter capable of cutting stainless wire,
miscelaneous stainless steel machine screws, sheet metal screws, nuts,
washers, volt ohmmeter, test light, small hack saw, etc.

Also useful are a Dremel tool with a full set of accessory bits,
propane torch, basic rigging tools, cordless drill w/charger, epoxy
kit, inverter, safety glasses, small vice, small grease gun, japanese
pull saw, chisels, etc.

For what it's worth my advanced set is split into 4 tool boxes,
wrenches, rigging tools and parts, electrical tools and parts, and the
fourth box is miscelaneous. I also carry one of the West Marine brief
case type tool kits which is a good place to start for basic stuff but
no substitute for quality tools.

Don White

Wayne.B wrote:
snip...
The advanced set is more boat specific (I know, I know). At the very
least I'd recommend a full set of 1/4 and 3/8 socket wrenches (both *US
and metric*), a full set of open end and box wrenches (both *US and
metric*), assorted deep sockets specific to your boat and engine,

snip..

What are *US* socket wrenches and *US* open end/box wrenches?
Could that be SAE sockets and wrenches?

Bob

Several files

Bill Kearney

Stuff that floats, or at least has a hole in it to attach a float.

Says the man picking up a new short philips head screwdriver this week...

Evan Gatehouse

Bill Kearney wrote:
Stuff that floats, or at least has a hole in it to attach a float.

Says the man picking up a new short philips head screwdriver this week...

I was in Sears once getting a replacement pair of diagonal cutters.
Asked if their "for life" hand tool guarantee covered sinkage. Nearly
had a nice new big screwdriver until the not-too-bright clerk caught on.

Evan Gatehouse
Jere Lull

wrote:

On every cruising sailboat there is a tool kit. Just for fun; what is in
that tool kit?

If you are doing serious cruising you really need two sets of tools,
one set with just the basics and readily at hand since you will be
using them all the time, and a second larger set which can be stowed
away somewhere.

Nice quick-list. As small as we are, we have 6 tool/junk boxes. Our
first-line kit is the little red box that came with the engine, adding
some open-end wrenches, allen wrenches and one of those 6-in-1 hammers
with all the screwdrivers in the handle. In 10 seconds, I can pull that
out of the drawer nearest the companionway and handle most emergencies.

Add spare parts like impellers, bilge pumps, various switches, a variety
of caulks and gaskets.

Don't forget the duck/duct tape!

--
Jere Lull
Don White

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
Ok, cruising people ... here is your assignment.

On every cruising sailboat there is a tool kit. Just for fun; what is in
that tool kit?

Name the tools, how many, what kind, what they do, all the gotta haves, how
do you carry them and where, ....

Little Giant Ladder System :-)

Need a Power Tool to Polish/Wax the Gelcoat [email protected] General 32 May 8th 06 03:12 PM
Tool for Bobspit & his puppet Joe ASA 1 April 25th 06 06:11 PM
RDF (radio direction finding) ... do you ? purple_stars Cruising 145 March 26th 06 04:13 PM
"Cool Touch" Soldering Tool cm Electronics 9 February 15th 06 02:38 PM
has anyone ever used a scan tool on a Merc' 350 magnum bravo lll ? Electraglide Cruising 0 October 10th 05 01:15 AM