BoatBanter.com

-   -   The Tool Kit ,, The Tool Kit ,, (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/70674-tool-kit-tool-kit.html)

Thomas Wentworth June 13th 06 05:25 PM

The Tool Kit ,, The Tool Kit ,,

Ok, cruising people ... here is your assignment.

On every cruising sailboat there is a tool kit. Just for fun; what is in
that tool kit?

Name the tools, how many, what kind, what they do, all the gotta haves, how
do you carry them and where, ....

Gordon Wedman June 13th 06 06:45 PM

The Tool Kit ,, The Tool Kit ,,

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
Ok, cruising people ... here is your assignment.

On every cruising sailboat there is a tool kit. Just for fun; what is in
that tool kit?

Name the tools, how many, what kind, what they do, all the gotta haves,
how do you carry them and where, ....

Do a search on the SSCA forum. There was some discussion about this a while
ago. www.ssca.org

Wayne.B June 13th 06 06:52 PM

The Tool Kit ,, The Tool Kit ,,

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:25:48 GMT, "Thomas Wentworth"
wrote:

On every cruising sailboat there is a tool kit. Just for fun; what is in
that tool kit?

If you are doing serious cruising you really need two sets of tools,
one set with just the basics and readily at hand since you will be
using them all the time, and a second larger set which can be stowed
away somewhere.

Basic set, easy to reach: 4 way combination screw driver, 8 inch
crescent wrench, small and large vice grips, needle nose pliers,
utility knife w/extra blades, WD-40 and a roll of white vinyl rigging
tape.

The advanced set is more boat specific (I know, I know). At the very
least I'd recommend a full set of 1/4 and 3/8 socket wrenches (both US
and metric), a full set of open end and box wrenches (both US and
metric), assorted deep sockets specific to your boat and engine, a
large and small hammer, a very large straight bladed screwdriver, a
block of wood (various uses), wire stripper and crimper, assorted wire
and terminal lugs, electric drill with suitable bits, right angle
ratchet screw driver, large crescent wrench, large channel lock
pliers, heavy duty wire cutter capable of cutting stainless wire,
miscelaneous stainless steel machine screws, sheet metal screws, nuts,
washers, volt ohmmeter, test light, small hack saw, etc.

Also useful are a Dremel tool with a full set of accessory bits,
propane torch, basic rigging tools, cordless drill w/charger, epoxy
kit, inverter, safety glasses, small vice, small grease gun, japanese
pull saw, chisels, etc.

For what it's worth my advanced set is split into 4 tool boxes,
wrenches, rigging tools and parts, electrical tools and parts, and the
fourth box is miscelaneous. I also carry one of the West Marine brief
case type tool kits which is a good place to start for basic stuff but
no substitute for quality tools.

Don White June 13th 06 08:32 PM

The Tool Kit ,, The Tool Kit ,,

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
Ok, cruising people ... here is your assignment.

On every cruising sailboat there is a tool kit. Just for fun; what is in
that tool kit?

Name the tools, how many, what kind, what they do, all the gotta haves, how
do you carry them and where, ....

Little Giant Ladder System :-)

Don White June 13th 06 08:38 PM

The Tool Kit ,, The Tool Kit ,,

Wayne.B wrote:
snip...
The advanced set is more boat specific (I know, I know). At the very
least I'd recommend a full set of 1/4 and 3/8 socket wrenches (both *US
and metric*), a full set of open end and box wrenches (both *US and
metric*), assorted deep sockets specific to your boat and engine,

snip..

What are *US* socket wrenches and *US* open end/box wrenches?
Could that be SAE sockets and wrenches?

Bob June 13th 06 11:07 PM

The Tool Kit ,, The Tool Kit ,,

Several files

Wayne.B June 13th 06 11:12 PM

The Tool Kit ,, The Tool Kit ,,

On 13 Jun 2006 14:59:03 -0500, Dave wrote:

The kind that use quaint units like "inches" and "feet"--what used to be
called "English" measures until the Brits went over to the dark side g.

Exactly. I call it "US" because I think we are the last ones in the
world measuring things in inches. There was an attempt to introduce
the metric system back in the 70s as I recall but it was viewed as a
subversive plot in some circles.

Bill Kearney June 13th 06 11:29 PM

The Tool Kit ,, The Tool Kit ,,

Stuff that floats, or at least has a hole in it to attach a float.

Says the man picking up a new short philips head screwdriver this week...

Evan Gatehouse June 14th 06 04:52 AM

The Tool Kit ,, The Tool Kit ,,

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
Ok, cruising people ... here is your assignment.

On every cruising sailboat there is a tool kit. Just for fun; what is in
that tool kit?

Name the tools, how many, what kind, what they do, all the gotta haves, how
do you carry them and where, ....

It would take about an hour to list them all I suspect.

Evan Gatehouse