Default New Jersey operator licensing

DSK wrote:
... As it happens, I am extremely, highly intelligent.
In the top 2 percentile of the population.

Peter Wiley wrote:
Gee, all that 'talent' and you can't learn how to sail.

Who said I can't? Never tried, BUT the fact is I have nothing but
respect and admiration for people who sail (and very much for surfers,
windsurfers and stand-up jetskiiers). I recognize the greater level of
skill, experience and knowledge it requires, by far, compared to
piloting a runabout pwc.

Why "talent" in quotes? You can't acknowledge or imagine the
possibility that maybe I have talents and abilities worthy of some
degree of your respect? OH right, yes, I forgot, that's because I own
a personal watercraft, I'm beneath you, inferior. Asshole!
Sweartogod!

Unlike some of you guys, I don't think I'm better than anybody else,
have no trouble recognizing and acknowledging skills and abilities that
others (including some of you in this thread) have than I don't, people
who do things that I don't and (right now) can't, and affording them
the proper respect. But it doesn't seem to flow both ways. Anybody
here play jazz and progressive-rock keyboards professionally in
addition to having a full-time IT career and boating eight months a
year (plus of course having a wife, kids, and home)? Anybody develop
complex enterprise-level business software pretty much single-handedly
for a career? But no, I'm just an annoying idiot as far as some of you
guys are concerned, no matter what my accomplishments or what I may be
able to do that some of you probably never could......because I"m an
lowly "annoying jetskier" no apparently one here in r.b.c deems me
worthy to talk to cordially or as an equal or grant me respect.

He probably wouldn't find it noisy or fast-paced enough.

That certainly makes it sound like you've never read any of my posts
about the kind of things that I like to do on the water...if you think
loud noise and high speed are my primary interests. I told you, when
I'm not jetskiing, I'm often kayaking...too noisy and fast-paced for
you? Or could it be that possibly your statement, your insult
directed at me, is false, unfounded, inaccurate and unfair, in fact
contrary to already established facts, and that you will never
acknowledge this fact?

So please, please, quit insulting me, either to me or to each other,
without knowing me or what you're talking about. Okay, you hate me for
some reason, I"m sure it's justified, but your assumptions and
statements about me are once again false.

We
are dealing with a huge population of people... the 3rd
generation of 'raised-by-TV' kids... who are pathologically
impatient and have short attention spans. Most of them also
believe that gratification of their whim of the moment
should be the highest priority of the Universe.

Well the rhetoric is getting a little lofty for my tastes now. Kids
these days!

This is one reason why politics have devolved to the point
it has today.

Sailing is complex & subtle, requires careful observation of
one's surroundings, and analysis of forces which cannot be
directly seen.

Like I said, and unlike some power-boaters I've spoken to, I only
respect and admire accomplished sailors. I basically love all boating
and, by default, like the people who do it, I don't draw walls of
superiority in my mind between one type of boat/boater and another, or
judge anybody based on what kind of boating they choose.....I feel as
if I have a lot in common, and a lot to talk about, with anyone else
who loves the water.

Asking most people to learn to sail would be like asking a
Jack Russell terrier to learn chess.

You really are pretty full of yourself aintcha?

richforman

DSK

DSK

Gee, all that 'talent' and you can't learn how to sail.

wrote:
Who said I can't? Never tried

Old joke- two guys sitting around listening to an Eric
Clapton record. 1 says to the other, "Can you play a
guitar?" 2nd one says, "Dunno, never tried."

Why "talent" in quotes? You can't acknowledge or imagine the
possibility that maybe I have talents and abilities worthy of some
degree of your respect? OH right, yes, I forgot, that's because I own
a personal watercraft, I'm beneath you, inferior. Asshole!
Sweartogod!

Personally, I never said you were inferior. In fact I'm
still interested in seeing your pictures 9although not
interested enough to hand over a lot of personal data to the
Kodak web site). And I said that as a cruiser, even on a
PWC, you have as much right to post here as anybody else.

He probably wouldn't find it noisy or fast-paced enough.

That certainly makes it sound like you've never read any of my posts
about the kind of things that I like to do on the water.

Actually I did.

... if you think
loud noise and high speed are my primary interests. I told you, when
I'm not jetskiing, I'm often kayaking...too noisy and fast-paced for
you? Or could it be that possibly your statement, your insult
directed at me, is false, unfounded, inaccurate and unfair, in fact
contrary to already established facts, and that you will never
acknowledge this fact?

I missed the part about kayaking. So maybe you're the one in
a million PWCers who might not find sailing to be too slow &
quiet. But of course you've never tried it. OTOH I have
kayaked a lot (and still go canoing fairly often) and ridden
a jetski a few times and currently own a large motorboat.

We
are dealing with a huge population of people... the 3rd
generation of 'raised-by-TV' kids... who are pathologically
impatient and have short attention spans. Most of them also
believe that gratification of their whim of the moment
should be the highest priority of the Universe.

Well the rhetoric is getting a little lofty for my tastes now. Kids
these days!

That wasn't specifically aimed at you, but your tendency to
fly off the handle and inability to see any facts contrary
to what you want to believe are symptomatic.

... I feel as
if I have a lot in common, and a lot to talk about, with anyone else
who loves the water.

That's all well & good, so why don't you participate in some
*other* discussion than one which evolves around how much
most people who don't have PWCs dislike them?

DSK

Peter Wiley

Peter Wiley wrote:
Gee, all that 'talent' and you can't learn how to sail.

Who said I can't? Never tried, BUT the fact is I have nothing but
respect and admiration for people who sail (and very much for surfers,
windsurfers and stand-up jetskiiers). I recognize the greater level of
skill, experience and knowledge it requires, by far, compared to
piloting a runabout pwc.

Why "talent" in quotes? You can't acknowledge or imagine the
possibility that maybe I have talents and abilities worthy of some
degree of your respect? OH right, yes, I forgot, that's because I own
a personal watercraft, I'm beneath you, inferior. Asshole!
Sweartogod!

Heh. QED.

Unlike some of you guys, I don't think I'm better than anybody else,
have no trouble recognizing and acknowledging skills and abilities that
others (including some of you in this thread) have than I don't, people
who do things that I don't and (right now) can't, and affording them
the proper respect. But it doesn't seem to flow both ways. Anybody
here play jazz and progressive-rock keyboards professionally

Yawn. WGAF? This is rec.boats.cruising, not rich.forman.egofest

My pet cat can catch birds without the use of technology and I can't.

in
addition to having a full-time IT career

I employ people to do that sort of stuff.

and boating eight months a
year

I get paid to go boating.

(plus of course having a wife, kids, and home)? Anybody develop
complex enterprise-level business software pretty much single-handedly
for a career?

Yawn.

But no, I'm just an annoying idiot as far as some of you
guys are concerned, no matter what my accomplishments or what I may be
able to do that some of you probably never could......because I"m an
lowly "annoying jetskier" no apparently one here in r.b.c deems me
worthy to talk to cordially or as an equal or grant me respect.

Correct. This is r.b.c and you drive a PWC. I doubt anyone here really
cares what else you do, in this n/g. If we wanted to talk software or
stuff we'd be over in the comp.lang.* area.

So please, please, quit insulting me, either to me or to each other,
without knowing me or what you're talking about. Okay, you hate me for
some reason, I"m sure it's justified, but your assumptions and
statements about me are once again false.

I don't hate you at all. I just wish you'd stop saying that PWC aren't
a plague on the waterways when the overwhelming experience of others
here is that, in fact, they *are*. You're basically claiming that,
because *you* personally may not behave in such a manner as complained
of, everyone's counter experience is unrepresentative. Well, that means
you're basically saying that your judgement and experience is superior
to mine, for example. I disagree and think you're an arrogant twit for
thinking so. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I'll grant that you
may not behave in an offensive manner, but you're *not* representative
of PWC drivers IME, you're the exception. Deal with it.

And you still can't explain why it's necessary to have in excess of 200
HP to move one or two people about on the water. It's ridiculous. Those
damn things are either massively overpowered or massively inefficient,
or both. I use less than twice that much HP to move some 8 tonnes of
boat, pax and equipment at 40+ knots.

Like I said, and unlike some power-boaters I've spoken to, I only
respect and admire accomplished sailors. I basically love all boating
and, by default, like the people who do it, I don't draw walls of
superiority in my mind between one type of boat/boater and another, or
judge anybody based on what kind of boating they choose.....I feel as
if I have a lot in common, and a lot to talk about, with anyone else
who loves the water.

Well guess what - I disagree with you.

Asking most people to learn to sail would be like asking a
Jack Russell terrier to learn chess.

You really are pretty full of yourself aintcha?

Yep, Doug is full of it all right :-) But what do you expect, he hangs
out in asa, he only slums here....

PDW