MarshallE

Default Favorite GPS

Hi,

I find myself in the market for a new GPS...would be great if it was
portable...worked in car or boat..and be wonderful if it had depth sounder.

any opinions or ideas?
thanks

Dennis Pogson

MarshallE wrote:
Hi,

I find myself in the market for a new GPS...would be great if it was
portable...worked in car or boat..and be wonderful if it had depth
sounder.

any opinions or ideas?
thanks

A GPS with a transponder? Would you throw it in the water on a retrieval
line? How much would I get for my redundant echo sounder?

If you could incorporate a cellphone, Pocket PC, Playstation and radar into
to same instrument, I am sure it would sell a bomb!

Must nip down to the gas station to get my groceries, sorry I have to rush.

DP

Ken Heaton

I've only ever used a Garmin GPS Map 76, which I like a lot. It won't
accept sounder data though. The next Garmins up , both the GPSMAP 276C
and the GPSMAP 376C support external NMEA sources for water depth,
water temperature, and water speed through two serial interfaces..
They have built in Lithium battery packs so they don't need external
power and are optimised for either Auto or Marine uses. See:
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap276c/

~^ beancounter ~^

i use garmin for gps...(flying & boating) and
a fish finder...(humminbird) for depth, water temp,
and contuor of the botton...and ocassionally
fish...

I also have a Garmin Meridian Gold loaded with maps and charts (256SD) for
Canada and part of the United States
It works very good and is affordable, for $256.99 CAD its a fair deal. The
thing I do not like about it a
PC Cable they are not suitable for USB port, the batteries are not build in
lithium Ion and the land maps require frequent updating.
You can buy nautical charts with water depth and load them on your SD memory
card. However I would prefer a larger screen.

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in message
oups.com...
i use garmin for gps...(flying & boating) and
a fish finder...(humminbird) for depth, water temp,
and contuor of the botton...and ocassionally
fish...

Nicholas Walsh

Have you thought about a bluetooth linked with a PDA. I use an XDA2i
phone/PDA which has everything on it including marine charts, road mapping,
dictionaries, etc., etc. Hell man it will nearly make the tea too. I use a
TomTom bluetooth GPS with it and its great. I wouldn't be without it.
Nick

"MarshallE" wrote in message
Hi,

I find myself in the market for a new GPS...would be great if it was
portable...worked in car or boat..and be wonderful if it had depth
sounder.

any opinions or ideas?
thanks

dog

A really good unit for this purpose is the Garmin 276C. It has both
street navigation capability as well as compatiblity with Garmin Blue
Chart marine navigation software.

It can also be interfaced with a depthsounder module and give you depth
and temperature data if the sounder has that capability.

~^ beancounter ~^

Dog how do you like the garmin blue chart software/maps? are they
ok, good, great? Do you know offhand, if I can run them on my garmin
396?

thanx a lot.......

Courtney Thomas

"MarshallE" wrote in message

Hi,

I find myself in the market for a new GPS...would be great if it was
portable...worked in car or boat..and be wonderful if it had depth
sounder.

any opinions or ideas?
thanks

Intriguing !

What is the retail on the XDA2i and the TomTom, please ?

BTW, who makes these items ?

Any suggestion as to vendor(s) ?

Appreciatively,
Courtney
dog

On 2006-03-26 11:59:18 -0500, "~^ beancounter ~^" said:

Dog how do you like the garmin blue chart software/maps? are they
ok, good, great? Do you know offhand, if I can run them on my garmin
396?

thanx a lot.......

The Garmin Blue Chart are fairly good, but a bit pricey for wide
coverage areas. The primary GPS I got for my boat is a 192C, as that
has full coastal US coverage maps included with the unit, but the OP
wanted a unit that could do both land and marine navigation, which the
192C can not do, but the 276C can. I do believe that they should work
with the 396 as well.

One thing I would mention, Garmin just released new BlueChart G2
software, which will probably drop the prices on the older BlueChart
software a bit.