cvj

Default HELP: Gluing Foam-backed Vinyl Headliner to Plywood

Could someone advise me of an adhesive to attach a foam-backed Vinyl
Headliner to a plywood sheet? I am looking for something that is easy to
apply (spray can?) but at the same time does not damage the foam through
some kind of chemical inter-action.

Thanks in advance

Claus

Hi,
Upholstery suppliers can sell you spray on impact adhesive made
specifically for the job. You need good ventilation if working in a
confined space - fumes are really evil! This seems to hold well on
ply, and is by many builders to stick directly to GRP. Stapling the
material around the back of the ply is still a good plan to stop the
edges peeling, if your plan allows this. Masking against overspray is
also a good idea - it's designed to stick! I used this stuff to stick
first 1/4" foam, then vinyl, all round the forecabin of a yacht - 15
years later it's still there!

Have fun,

David.

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:04:47 -0800, "cvj"
wrote:

Could someone advise me of an adhesive to attach a foam-backed Vinyl
Headliner to a plywood sheet? I am looking for something that is easy to
apply (spray can?) but at the same time does not damage the foam through
some kind of chemical inter-action.

Thanks in advance

Claus

Glenn Ashmore

Default Gluing Foam-backed Vinyl Headliner to Plywood

3M 90 spray adhesive. Easy to apply fairly neatly and will even hold
SoundDown leaded insulation to the top of my engine compartment. You have
about 1 minute to get the liner on smooth and then it will never move again.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"cvj" wrote in message
Could someone advise me of an adhesive to attach a foam-backed Vinyl
Headliner to a plywood sheet? I am looking for something that is easy to
apply (spray can?) but at the same time does not damage the foam through
some kind of chemical inter-action.

Thanks in advance

Claus

Dennis Pogson

"cvj" wrote in message
Could someone advise me of an adhesive to attach a foam-backed Vinyl
Headliner to a plywood sheet? I am looking for something that is
easy to apply (spray can?) but at the same time does not damage the
foam through some kind of chemical inter-action.

Thanks in advance

Claus

For really good adhesion which lasts for years, I have found the spray-can
adhesives to be less useful than floor-tile adhesive, which is available in
large volume cans, is easy to spread (naturally), and does not have the same
tendency to affect the sinuses as the spray-can stuff.

Any spray-can adhesive I have used only seems to last a season or two, and I
think it is the volume per sq-metre, compared to the spread adhesives, which
is lacking. They are OK for doing small repair jobs, but if you want your
plywood panels to look good for years, use the above.

Dennis.

Keith

3M Headliner spray adhesive, found at most any auto parts store.

Glenn Ashmore

"Dennis Pogson" wrote

For really good adhesion which lasts for years, I have found the spray-can
adhesives to be less useful than floor-tile adhesive, which is available
in
large volume cans, is easy to spread (naturally), and does not have the
same
tendency to affect the sinuses as the spray-can stuff.

Any spray-can adhesive I have used only seems to last a season or two, and
think it is the volume per sq-metre, compared to the spread adhesives,
which
is lacking. They are OK for doing small repair jobs, but if you want your
plywood panels to look good for years, use the above.

Not in my experience. I installed some 2#/ft Soundown in the engine
compartment of my cousin's Trojan Sport about 4 years ago using 3m 80 and it
is still as tight as the day after it was installed. That is in a hot
engine compartment and the only place it has come loose was where the foam
was torn when it snagged.

When a foam backed headliner comes loose it is rarely because of the
adhesive. Usually the foam degrades long before the adhesive.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Garland Gray II

As Glenn mentions, vinyl backed by open cell foam falls off because of
breakdown of the foam, largely a function of heat.
I replaced all such material with a closed cell foam material that looked
quite good, and after seeing how liquid contact cement started to dissolve
the material, as well as the strong fumes, I found a liquid water base
contact cement made by 3M. It can be found at auto parts stores--NAPA,
CarQuest--and while it may cost 2 1/2 times as much as the regular contact
cement you'd find in hardware store, I found it to have maybe 2 times the
coverage.
I had previously tried spray advesive, and while the coating was not heavy
enough to damage the foam, I wasn't really satisfied with it or the price of
how much it would take for a big job. And it also had the problem of fumes.

Garland Gray II wrote:
[...]

I should have said in my earlier post that the problem lies with the foam,
rather than the adhesive, and using this 3M water based product is possibly
similar to the floor-tile adhesive I mentioned, which is also cheap compared
to an aerosol adhesive, and readily available.

You really need to be able to move the material once you have laid it on to
the plywood, to remove bubbles and re-position for bad alignment.

Contact adhesives make this quite difficult, even the ones which claim to be
slow-curing.

Dennis.

Garland Gray II

I think that is what made the regular--solvent base ?-- contact cement start
to dissolve the vinyl.
I needed to position the material before the contact cement was "ready" so I
could move if necessary. Therefore some of the solvent was still present to
attack the vinyl.
With the water based cement, this didn't cause a problem.

Snip