Glenn Ashmore

Default Gluing Foam-backed Vinyl Headliner to Plywood

"Dennis Pogson" wrote

For really good adhesion which lasts for years, I have found the spray-can
adhesives to be less useful than floor-tile adhesive, which is available
in
large volume cans, is easy to spread (naturally), and does not have the
same
tendency to affect the sinuses as the spray-can stuff.

Any spray-can adhesive I have used only seems to last a season or two, and
think it is the volume per sq-metre, compared to the spread adhesives,
which
is lacking. They are OK for doing small repair jobs, but if you want your
plywood panels to look good for years, use the above.

Not in my experience. I installed some 2#/ft Soundown in the engine
compartment of my cousin's Trojan Sport about 4 years ago using 3m 80 and it
is still as tight as the day after it was installed. That is in a hot
engine compartment and the only place it has come loose was where the foam
was torn when it snagged.

When a foam backed headliner comes loose it is rarely because of the
adhesive. Usually the foam degrades long before the adhesive.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com