Default The answer on jib sheets

While that can happen, it shouldn't happen 4 or 5 times a year with
normal jib sheets (I'm assuming you're not using single braid SK75 or
something really slick and stiff like that). It sounds to me like you
know what you're doing and with apologies for repeating the obvious:
You might consider tightening your knots a bit more and leaving longer
tails. When tacking try to get at least a little tension on the jib
quickly after passing through the eye of the wind. Finally, wash your
sheets (or dip them in salt water) to get the slick factory coating off
the cover... Anyway, something odd is happening with your sheets, if
we all had that kind of failure rate none of us would use bowlines!

-- Tom.

Roger Long

"Capt. JG" wrote

Hmmm... well, I mostly sail with novices and students. They have to
learn at some point, and this is one of the things they need to
learn... how to prevent this from happening.

Sure, but not having hang ups helps focus on other aspects of the
timing. Besides, lots of my deck apelets aren't actually ever going
to learn. They're just out for a good time and I like to give them
some experience of helping.

--

Roger Long

Roger Long

Here's what I'll actually do on my set of jib sheets though:

Buy them in a single length and use the proper knot in the middle.
(Good picture of it on the Wooden Boat Magazine Forum discussion of
this subject).

Then it's time to end for end the sheets, cut them and put the
eyesplices in the other ends. Then use this knot.

This all started because I bought a rope for a mainsheet, screwed up
my first attempt at an eyesplice, and then had enough for one jib
sheet but not a mainsheet.

--

Roger Long

Jeff

Roger Long wrote:
Here's what I'll actually do on my set of jib sheets though:

Buy them in a single length and use the proper knot in the middle.
(Good picture of it on the Wooden Boat Magazine Forum discussion of
this subject).

can I see it?

Then it's time to end for end the sheets, cut them and put the
eyesplices in the other ends. Then use this knot.

You won't be able to splice it after a few years' use. I've never
been able to splice used braid.

Roger Long

I know, I just did some practice splices on old rope and it is a real
bitch. However, soaking the rope makes it just possible.

I'll buy new blocks when I replace my sheets and make sure that an
eyesplice can just be forced through. Then I'll put the splices in
right at the beginning. They'll help keep a sheet from running out of
the block but still make it possible to get it out if necessary.

--

Roger Long

"Jeff" wrote

You won't be able to splice it after a few years' use. I've never
been able to splice used braid.

Roger Long

"Jeff" wrote

Buy them in a single length and use the proper knot in the middle.
(Good picture of it on the Wooden Boat Magazine Forum discussion of
this subject).

can I see it?

Yes.

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Strider0603.htm#Jibknot

--

Roger Long

Capt. JG

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote

Hmmm... well, I mostly sail with novices and students. They have to learn
at some point, and this is one of the things they need to learn... how to
prevent this from happening.

Sure, but not having hang ups helps focus on other aspects of the timing.
Besides, lots of my deck apelets aren't actually ever going to learn.
They're just out for a good time and I like to give them some experience
of helping.

--

Roger Long

While it's true that there are other aspects of timing, I think it's
important that they be aware of the pitfalls of snags. It's not a big deal,
and the issue is soon put to rest.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Roger Long

"Capt. JG" wrote

While it's true that there are other aspects of timing, I think it's
important that they be aware of the pitfalls of snags. It's not a
big deal, and the issue is soon put to rest.

Agreed but I'm trying to figure out what works best and most smoothly,
same as everything else on the boat.

I'm curious though, do you think sheets that snag are essential to
have as a learning tool on a vessel where training is going on?

The founding chairman of the American Sail Training Association
Technical Committee and former board member dearly wants to know.

--

Roger Long

Capt. JG

"Roger Long" wrote in message
news
"Capt. JG" wrote

While it's true that there are other aspects of timing, I think it's
important that they be aware of the pitfalls of snags. It's not a big
deal, and the issue is soon put to rest.

Agreed but I'm trying to figure out what works best and most smoothly,
same as everything else on the boat.

I'm curious though, do you think sheets that snag are essential to have as
a learning tool on a vessel where training is going on?

Certainly not. I just think it's a minor issue that isn't solved by
shackles, and if it does happen, it's a good learning experience.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

The answer... katy ASA 17 February 10th 06 12:09 AM
Is this your final answer - Part Deux JimH General 43 December 31st 05 05:19 AM
Is that your final answer? JimH General 35 December 30th 05 09:56 PM
I just don't understand why... Suds \(Popeye's friend\) General 72 December 16th 05 03:42 PM
Hey Bob Crantz-- Your answer Joe ASA 10 December 6th 05 11:59 PM