Roger Long

Default Desperate Troll

Help! There’s a big blank spot on my web portal page where the links
to all the aviation forums and other stuff used to be. It’s too cold
to work on the boat. I need to think about sailing and cruising.

Come on, somebody start something!

My dreams for the future now revolve around that trip to Nova Scotia,
around Newfoundland and over to Labrador in a few years. High mist
shrouded cliffs and unspoiled wildness appeal to me much more than the
heat and over development of the southern lands.

Has anybody else here been up that way?

--

Roger Long

Don White

Roger Long wrote:
Help! There’s a big blank spot on my web portal page where the links
to all the aviation forums and other stuff used to be. It’s too cold
to work on the boat. I need to think about sailing and cruising.

Come on, somebody start something!

My dreams for the future now revolve around that trip to Nova Scotia,
around Newfoundland and over to Labrador in a few years. High mist
shrouded cliffs and unspoiled wildness appeal to me much more than the
heat and over development of the southern lands.

Has anybody else here been up that way?

Long time since I've been to Newfoundland, but I can recommend the
general area around Mahone Bay, St. Margaret's Bay, Halifax... and of
course the Bras d'Or Lakes.
If you had your boat shipshape by July...this might be a fun race for
you. http://www.route-hsp.com/
If not, the Marblehead/Halifax runs in 2007
http://www.marbleheadtohalifax.com/
and then back to St. Pierre in 2008. You can't lose.....

You still have time to buy a cruising guide this winter and daydream
until spring. I have one for the British Virgin Islands that I pull out
when I need a lift.
http://ca.binnacle.com/online/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=13050
purple_stars

Roger Long wrote:
Help! There's a big blank spot on my web portal page where the links
to all the aviation forums and other stuff used to be. It's too cold
to work on the boat. I need to think about sailing and cruising.

well how about typing something roger, tell us what it was like being
2.5 miles under water ? i've never been in a sub that went that deep,
the deepest i've been in one of those little tourist subs that takes
you down to the artificial reefs in hawaii. it must have been dark
and spooky ? what's it like!

Howard

Roger,

Last summer I took the trip from Shelburne to Sydney through the Bras d
Or. Wonderful trip.

This summer I hope to make it to St. Pierre - and back. It was my first
sail (excepting that unfortuante incident in a Sunfish down in Belize.)
I made it, single handed, in a 33' 20 year old steel boat I bought
in Shelburne.

Liverpool I could miss. Lunenburg was very neat. Stayed a couple of
days at the RNSYS in Halifax. Too far out of town for sight seeing.
Then up to Sheet Harbour, Barra Straight (got caught against a nasty
steel bulkhead for a day.) Then a few nice days in Washabuck River
before going on to Sydney to put her on the hard at the North Sydney
Yacht Club. Great place. Burned down a couple of years ago, they have
rebuilt the bar, are working on the docks. Great sense of priorities.

Next year - maybe Bonavista Bay and my Grandparents home.

In the mean time, if you need a quick fix, try this site.

http://www.wright-photo.com/newfound.htm

Howard

Roger Long wrote:
Help! There’s a big blank spot on my web portal page where the links
to all the aviation forums and other stuff used to be. It’s too cold
to work on the boat. I need to think about sailing and cruising.

Come on, somebody start something!

My dreams for the future now revolve around that trip to Nova Scotia,
around Newfoundland and over to Labrador in a few years. High mist
shrouded cliffs and unspoiled wildness appeal to me much more than the
heat and over development of the southern lands.

Has anybody else here been up that way?

Jeff

Roger Long wrote:
My dreams for the future now revolve around that trip to Nova Scotia,
around Newfoundland and over to Labrador in a few years. High mist
shrouded cliffs and unspoiled wildness appeal to me much more than the
heat and over development of the southern lands.

Has anybody else here been up that way?

I've never been, but my long time cruising buddies went in '99 and I
posted their pics on my site:
http://www.sv-loki.com/Moonshadow/moonshadow.html

They liked it so much they went back in '04 and, to extend the
normally short season, they wintered over there, in Burgeo!

Here's their cruising site, with lots of pics:
http://www.sv-moonshadow.com/liveaboard/mnshdw.htm

I worked out a rough plan for cruising Newfoundland that involves
going to Bras d'Or Lakes one summer, then over to Newfoundland the
next, then returning south the third year, possible by way of Lake
Champlain. Even though we'd be flying back and forth a lot, I figure
it would actually cost nothing because we'd save a huge amount on slip
and storage fees. The only complication is that Canada would consider
the boat an import unless we can claim "necessary repairs." However,
since our boat was built in Canada, that might not be a problem.

My wife is as yet unconvinced.

Don White

Howard wrote:
[...]

Say what! The squadron is a 12-15 minute drive from downtown. The city
transit service has a bus stop within 200' of the gate. I bet the
Squadron tender would have crossed the arm and let you off at the public
wharf foot of Oakland Road. From there you could walk downtown.
Another option would have been to take your boat out of the arm, round
Point Pleasant Park and sail up the harbour to the 'free' public dock at
Purdy's Wharf. You could stay there an afternoon no problem and
yes..everything is within walking distance from there.
Howard

Don White wrote:
Howard wrote:

[...]

Ah well, live and learn. I'll have to save it for the next time.
Though I have to admit, just hanging around the dock and having dinner
at the club was, in itself, rewarding. It is a very nice place.
Don White

Howard wrote:
Don White wrote:

Howard wrote:

[...]

Yes...I crewed out of there for about 5 years.
There are friendlier clubs though.