posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Dene

Default NW freeze

wrote in message
oups.com...

Last night I watched a nice episode of 'Pilot Guides' on the Pacific
NorthWest.

What channel is this on?

Switched over about 20 minutes late, so I missed most of the Washington
part...but Oregon looked great. Some of the locals almost apologized
that it was actually beautiful sunny weather..and not rainy & dull.
Saw the hugh sand dunes at the nature reserve, the view along highway
101?? and Portland...along with other places. I'll have to catch the
entire show again. It would be a nice trip if someone could guarantee
me fine weather...we get enough dampness here.

We treasure our reputation for krutzy weather. That terrible,
miserable, weather that is so foul no reasonable person would
voluntarily endure it is about the only defense we have left out here.
If we had the same warm weather and number of sunny days as the lower
latitudes we'd become Californicated even more rapidly than the current
trend.

I've come to appreciate the Great Wet North's climate now that I have an all
weather boat. I love having the whole drink to myself, vs. July/Aug. when
the pond is full of skiboats and lake lice.

Now, while it just might rain non-stop for 48 weeks every year and moss
just might grow up our phone poles like kudzu vines do down south,
there is a small window of almost guaranteed sunshine and warm weather
that I'll risk having my tongue chopped off to tell you about. Mid-July
to Mid-August. Most years there are very few rainy days and some years
there are none at all during that four week stretch.(Shhhh!)

Best time to visit the Pacific NW, IMO, is immediately after Labor Day.
Early September is usually much more warm and pleasant than June up
here, and most of the families with kids in school are off the water
after the first week. Downside is that in some of the more remote areas
some of the fuel docks, marinas, and other services begin shutting down
right after September 1.

My wife and I are planning to cruise the Sound right after Labor Day.
You're right about the great Sept. weather. Always my favorite time to
waterski (in my younger years when it didn't hurt so bad). Flat
water....great temps.....nobody but Chinook fishermen out there.

Speaking of.....what are the chances that my wife and I could catch/eat our
dinner in the Sound, come Sept?

-Greg

Dene wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

There is usually a run of silver salmon about that time. They tend to
be scrappy little fish, maybe 6-12 pounds on average, but they are good
eating and not ridiculously difficult to catch. Certain portions of the
sound will be open, others not. (Avoid bottom fish near the larger
cities.)

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Dene

wrote in message
oups.com...

Speaking of.....what are the chances that my wife and I could catch/eat

our
dinner in the Sound, come Sept?

-Greg

There is usually a run of silver salmon about that time. They tend to
be scrappy little fish, maybe 6-12 pounds on average, but they are good
eating and not ridiculously difficult to catch. Certain portions of the
sound will be open, others not. (Avoid bottom fish near the larger
cities.)

How about crabbing?

-Greg

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Gordon

"Dene" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...

Speaking of.....what are the chances that my wife and I could

catch/eat
our
dinner in the Sound, come Sept?

-Greg

There is usually a run of silver salmon about that time. They tend to
be scrappy little fish, maybe 6-12 pounds on average, but they are good
eating and not ridiculously difficult to catch. Certain portions of the
sound will be open, others not. (Avoid bottom fish near the larger
cities.)

How about crabbing?

-Greg

Excuse me for butting in but crabbing is a sore spot with me.
Crabbing at that time is a matter of wether the season is open or not.
There is a lot of turmoil right now about shortening seasons, reducing daily
limits etc to keep from catching the quota so fast. A bill was introduced to
split the quota more evenly between sports and commercial but I doubt it
will go anywhere. Sports now get 30% of the non tribal allocation. Just be
sure you check the Regs.
Gordon

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Gordon

A short comment about the cold. I went to my sailboat in Port Angeles late
yesterday. Outside temp was 40 f and had been all day. When I opened the
cabin, I was surprised to discover it was warmer inside then out. With a
digital thermometer, I found the temp was 44 f. Then I checked the water
temp outside and it was 47 f.
I guess the point is, if you have a sailboat, where tanks and engine sit
low in the hull, you probably don't need to worry about freezing anything.
Gordon

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
Best time to visit the Pacific NW, IMO, is immediately after Labor Day.
Early September is usually much more warm and pleasant than June up
here, and most of the families with kids in school are off the water
after the first week.

Chuck.............
Shhhhhhsh..
Bon

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Dene

"Gordon" wrote in message

"Dene" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...

Speaking of.....what are the chances that my wife and I could

catch/eat
our
dinner in the Sound, come Sept?

-Greg

There is usually a run of silver salmon about that time. They tend to
be scrappy little fish, maybe 6-12 pounds on average, but they are

good
eating and not ridiculously difficult to catch. Certain portions of

the
sound will be open, others not. (Avoid bottom fish near the larger
cities.)

How about crabbing?

-Greg

Excuse me for butting in but crabbing is a sore spot with me.

Makes ya crabby, eh? ;

Crabbing at that time is a matter of wether the season is open or not.
There is a lot of turmoil right now about shortening seasons, reducing

daily
limits etc to keep from catching the quota so fast. A bill was introduced

split the quota more evenly between sports and commercial but I doubt it
will go anywhere. Sports now get 30% of the non tribal allocation. Just be
sure you check the Regs.
Gordon

Will do. It'd be nice to eat salmon one day, fresh crab the next, with a
fair amount of beer in between.

-Greg

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Larry

"Gordon" wrote in
:

it was 47 f.

It was 74 in Charleston, today...(c;

At 11PM, it's still 57.6 on my digital guage, here on the river.

Y'all boys keep warm, ya heah?

Takin' my buddy's kids to the playground, tomorrow. Too nice to be cooped
up indoors.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Calif Bill

"Larry" wrote in message
"Gordon" wrote in
:

it was 47 f.

It was 74 in Charleston, today...(c;

At 11PM, it's still 57.6 on my digital guage, here on the river.

Y'all boys keep warm, ya heah?

Takin' my buddy's kids to the playground, tomorrow. Too nice to be cooped
up indoors.

It is the Canadian's. They sent their cold air south. Was 80 on Monday,
snowing at 1000' today in the SF Bay area. http://www.cbs5.com/ has a video
of snow in the Berkeley hills.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Dene

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
hlink.net...

It is the Canadian's. They sent their cold air south. Was 80 on Monday,
snowing at 1000' today in the SF Bay area. http://www.cbs5.com/ has a

video
of snow in the Berkeley hills.

Agree. The Cannucks need to get on board and contribute more to global
warming.

-Greg

NW freeze Dene General 24 February 19th 06 08:10 PM
Winterizing Checklist Skipper General 27 November 10th 05 02:58 AM
Preventing pump impeller freeze up? Roger Long Cruising 8 October 15th 05 04:55 PM