Matt O'Toole

Default Interesting factoid about Group 31 batteries

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 15:41:33 -0500, Glenn Ashmore wrote:

If you think Rolls and Surette are expensive, just think what 1,000 AH of
lithium-ion batteries is going to cost! :-)

This is the problem, and why they won't be used as traction
batteries in mass market vehicles for awhile.

There's been a lot of talk in battery circles lately about "the lithium
economy."

Matt O.

Larry

rhys wrote in news:epl4u1tijpucflmocbnuf3a5ib100bhlue@
4ax.com:

Larry, do you know if all that microscopic surface area equals a high
mass and/or density? Not that it's likely to be an issue: if these
lithium/nanotube batteries have the same weight and dimensions as
lead-acid, the ability to rapidly charge alone would find them a ready
market.

R.

They are TINY by comparison. That little Li-Ion cell in the picture with
the big spade lugs coming out the bottom is something like 5AH! The name
of all this game is SURFACE AREA. The tiny tubes have a larger surface
area than any known thing on the planet! Microscopic channels where
electrons can be stored, directly, like in the ultracapacitor or chemically
in Lithium ions....all in parallel for amazing capacity.

Keep a close eye on this evolving technology. At the moment, it answers a
LOT of tough questions about electron storage we never had answers for,
before.

Tiny and light....a cellphone you charge once a month in 3 minutes flat.

Next time that damned VHF marine handi goes dead 500 yards from the
dockhand you're trying to talk to, wish those cheap-assed NiCds NMEA put in
it were these new Li-Ion cells....(c;

Bruce in Alaska

--
Glenn Ashmore

Ahhhhh, but what a Battery you would have, comapred to what is available
now......

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
MMC

Good one Larry.
Know what you mean. Think I could paste a pretty logo on my orange Helly
Hanson rain gear and fit in at the club house?
MMC

"Larry" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote in
:

Sam's Club, usually about $55 each here in FL where there are a lot of
golf carts. It's about the cheapest way to get to 440 amp-hours that
I know of.

OH, the shame of it all....If they find out at the yacht club you're usin'
Wally World batteries...oh, I shudder at the ugly image my mind just
flashed me....(c;

Make sure they're in a hidden battery box! Download the Surette logo from
some website and print out a little picture of it. Stick it on the side

of
the battery box out where yachties can see it. You'll be the envy of the
whole dock!

Geez, we'll have to change them out in the middle of the night over at the
gas dock so noone see use......how awful....(c;

Larry

"MMC" wrote in news:PySEf.7834$g47.1570
@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

Good one Larry.
Know what you mean. Think I could paste a pretty logo on my orange Helly
Hanson rain gear and fit in at the club house?
MMC

I sometimes think I go out of my way to look non-nautical when I head to
the dock. I prefer Adidas to Docksiders, which I find awful uncomfortable
to stand on the deck and work all day. How in hell can anyone sail with
moccasins that have NO CUSHIONS all day?!

I do have a bright yellow waterproof nylon jacket. You can hardly see the
Old Navy logo on it. Warmest jacket I ever owned and easy to spot in the
water.