Wayne.B

Default Interesting factoid about Group 31 batteries

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 18:12:14 -0500, Jeff wrote:

I was in my marina office asking if they could match they price I had
for 4 Trojan 105 6 Volts ($280 from a golf cart company).

Sam's Club, usually about $55 each here in FL where there are a lot of
golf carts. It's about the cheapest way to get to 440 amp-hours that
I know of.

Larry

Wayne.B wrote in
:

Surrette and Rolls both make great batteries, no question about that.

They do? Why are they "better" to justify the awful price, probably
funding those fancy ads in the big boy boat rags?

Does their 400 AH battery put out more than the wetcell 400 AH battery?

Hell, for those prices the damned thing should use seawater to charge
itself!

Larry

Wayne.B wrote in
:

Sam's Club, usually about $55 each here in FL where there are a lot of
golf carts. It's about the cheapest way to get to 440 amp-hours that
I know of.

OH, the shame of it all....If they find out at the yacht club you're usin'
Wally World batteries...oh, I shudder at the ugly image my mind just
flashed me....(c;

Make sure they're in a hidden battery box! Download the Surette logo from
some website and print out a little picture of it. Stick it on the side of
the battery box out where yachties can see it. You'll be the envy of the
whole dock!

Geez, we'll have to change them out in the middle of the night over at the
gas dock so noone see use......how awful....(c;

Larry

"johnhh" wrote in
:

Someone help me out here. I always thought that the Group number just
specified the size/shape of the battery. Why would thhe size or
capcity affect its ability to hold a charge? Are you talking about a
specific manufacturer's battery? I can see how one manufactures group
31 my not, but Group 31's in general?

They use special "Group 31 lead" that wasn't minted at the Franklin Mint
like Surette battery lead all is. They also use "ordinary acid", not that
special blend of highly purified, laboratory-grade, .99976% fine the $400
battery makers all use made in tiny batches by the same chemists that
invented Amsoil oils and insecticides. Obviously, the combination of
"Group 31 Lead" and ordinary acid in the cheap ordinary plastic case is
inferior to the $400 batteries only sold at fine marine chandleries like
Waste Marine, Boater's World and Doug's Marina and Tire....

Besides....Group 31 batteries all come in ugly black plastic, not those
pretty maroon or red cases that increase CCA and AH by over 40% when placed
in a fine yacht like a Bayliner or Sea Ray....

Larry

"Roger Long" wrote in news:wRbEf.1929$5Q3.852
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

deep charging cycles more likely to cause plates to touch.

I can tell this is gonna be a LONG thread....(c;

Jeff

Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 18:12:14 -0500, Jeff wrote:

I was in my marina office asking if they could match they price I had
for 4 Trojan 105 6 Volts ($280 from a golf cart company).

Sam's Club, usually about $55 each here in FL where there are a lot of
golf carts. It's about the cheapest way to get to 440 amp-hours that
I know of.

Was that for Trojans, or for generics?
Jeff

Jeff wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 18:12:14 -0500, Jeff wrote:

I was in my marina office asking if they could match they price I had
for 4 Trojan 105 6 Volts ($280 from a golf cart company).

Sam's Club, usually about $55 each here in FL where there are a lot of
golf carts. It's about the cheapest way to get to 440 amp-hours that
I know of.

Was that for Trojans, or for generics?

A quick search found Exides for $50 at Sams Club.
Wayne.B

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:45:52 -0500, Larry wrote:

They do? Why are they "better" to justify the awful price, probably
funding those fancy ads in the big boy boat rags?

They take abuse really well, come with great warranties, and they
offer many different configurations for semi custom installations.

Does their 400 AH battery put out more than the wetcell 400 AH battery?

Of course not, but it will do it for many more years. Take a look at
their spec sheets for charge/recharge cycles. If you really rely on
your batteries, and especially if they are in a difficult location,
that's worth a few bucks. Replacing one of my 120 lb 8Ds from behind
a DD671 and generator without damaging your back or anything else is a
VERY interesting project, not soon to be repeated I hope.

Wayne.B

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:50:56 -0500, Larry wrote:

Geez, we'll have to change them out in the middle of the night over at the
gas dock so noone see use......how awful....(c;

My dock is in back of the house so there's not much risk to the image
as if I cared anyway. Most of my neighbors are hard working people
who still love a value when they can find it.

Wayne.B

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 22:28:53 -0500, Jeff wrote:

Was that for Trojans, or for generics?

I forget who they are made by but they are not Trojans. Mine have
been going strong for awhile but I can't really speak to their long
term durability. There's plenty of lead in them, I know that.

Batteries used in actual golf carts take a tremendous amount of abuse
around here and I suspect that word would get around if people were
having trouble with them.