Leanne

Default Marina Question ,,,

I stopped at BI this summer for the first time in a long time and was

amazed
at how tight the power boats were packed at Champlin's. Looked like most

of
them couldn't get out if they wanted to, and most didn't seem to want to.
Fortunately, our YC has a mooring in New Harbor.

I haven't been there since I was a teenager, oh so many years ago. We used
to walk over the hill to go to the movie. Of course, on the way back it was
through the cemetery where the guys tried to scare the girls so they could
hold them close. Oh those sneaky guys, but we loved it.

Leanne

Leanne

"Larry" wrote in message
"Roger Long" wrote in news:%DoCf.146409$XC4.144502
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

Everytime I read about these kinds of things, I think back to a quote in
the newspaper from a Beaufort, SC, waterfront mansion owner. She didn't
want that "floating trailer park" blocking her view she'd paid $1.2M for.

Could it be they're trying to get rid of boating for these kinds of

people?

The tax bureaucrats are....

I live in Beaufort and the problem is that we have a transplant Yankee for a
mayor. Btw, he is the one that got the bridge schedule change several years
ago. So many people have come here because of the laid back charm. After a
while they get bored and try to change it to the way they did it up north. I
am a transplant, but have been here long enough to be naturalized
Beaufortonian and can still see the beauty as it is. You are right about the
tax bureaucrats. We lucked on this old cottage in an estate sale over 20
years ago. Because we are on a deep water creek, the taxes have been going
up every year. The funny part is the house valuation seems to stay the same,
but the land value has about quadrupled.

Leanne

Thomas Wentworth

Capt Bill,,

If I ever come across your bow when I am sailing ,, watch out. I swear I
will throw a turd right in your lap!

Now, go **** off.

"A H FOSTER" wrote in message

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
I am re-entering the world of cruising.

Based on this post, I think you should reconsider it.

Capt. Bill

Wayne.B

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 18:13:07 GMT, "Thomas Wentworth"
wrote:

If I ever come across your bow when I am sailing ,, watch out. I swear I
will throw a t*rd right in your lap!

Now, go f*ck off.

=========================

Bad language and manners for someone seeking free advice.

Glenn Ashmore

The people I really feel for are the poor black folks out on the barrier
islands. They have owned their land for generations but their property
taxes have gone up to the point that they are being forced to sell to the
developers.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Leanne" wrote in message

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

Here in N. FL. its sometimes an adventure getting anything done on "One
o' them damn sailboats". I went to Carabelle, Fl to get my mast
stepped. The woman told me "We aint never done that afore" so I asked
about their insurance and remarkably thye had it. The mast steppers
were a crew of 3 oyster shucker drop outs who musta given up cuz the
oysters were smarter than them. They decided to sorta use the travel
lift but couldnt figger it out so they just used its cross beam. They
found two pieces of old rope lying round on the ground and tied em
together, threw em over the cross beam, other end went to the bumper of
on old truck painted with camo colors. The bumper was tied on with an
equally ragged piece of rope. They tied the rope around the mast near
the spreaders, revved up the truck so it belched oily blue smoke and
slowly pulled it up the ramp and miraculously my mast rose to vertical.
Cuz the only thing they destroyed was the VHF antenna I gave em each a
tip and saw em all take off for the bar. I think it cost maybe $120.00.

Don White

wrote:
[...]

At the Yacht Squadron I frequented, they had a large crane type
apparatus just for this operation.
Usually the boat owner would help the 'yard staff' in the process.
Everyone seemed to know what they were doing, probably because each
spring and fall they handled quite a few spars.
They even had a separate crane that could lift up to 10000 lbs. We used
it to pull our skipper's 28' Viking sailboat out and over the dock for
inspection after the keel hit large underwater boulders.
Paul Cassel

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
Couldn't you anchor, or something? That is crazy!

The anchorage there was full at the time of my arrival.
Carl

I'm in the New England - those prices seem pretty good. A lot less than
I pay. I bet the actual bill would have been higher with the "extras".
Face it Tom, nothing about owning a boat is inexpensive. Marinas -
especially where it snows - are a tough business. A lot of expensive
real estate and a lot of fixed costs have to be spread over too few
good sailing days. I've never met a rich marina owner.

I agree that you should get a really good and expensive boat. That's
what I did. Then a $400 dollar mast stepping charge is only a tiny
percentage of the boat's cost. It feels better that way! Hell - I
didn't even blink at the $1500 shrink wrapping charge this winter.

If you want to save money - charter. You can charter a beautiful
Hinckley 42 for less than $5000 a week and pick it up in Southwest
Harbor. At the end of the week just tie it up and let someone else
clean the head and fix the broken radar.

Carl

A question of concern Capt. JG ASA 0 December 17th 05 06:14 PM
A question of concern Capt. JG ASA 0 December 17th 05 03:55 PM
A question of concern [email protected] Cruising 0 December 17th 05 06:32 AM
Marina rip offs and horror stories. Eric Cruising 7 December 1st 05 03:46 AM
Mercruiser outdrive question John Chaplain General 3 October 23rd 05 05:50 PM