posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Default A question of concern

I was off my meds again. Sorry.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
nk.net...
There you go again with a reasonable, practical solution to a delicate
problem. What is wrong with you?

Amen!

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
How about giving him something useful like some sailing lessons? That
way,
when he starts having trouble during the class, which it sounds like he
might, he might change his mind. Perhaps you could get him in a
moderately
advanced class, something that will take him out in marginal weather.
Include his girlfriend, since it makes sense that she should know

something
about sailing. If she has any sense, this would appeal to her quite a
bit.

Another suggestion might be to invite him and his friend on a joint trip
with you (perhaps after the lessons are complete... sort of a bonus for
taking them (assuming you know how to sail or with someone who does)...

say
a bareboat charter. He might decide that bareboating is more fun and less
hassle.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message ...
Hello all.

I have a question, something that puts me in a quandary and would like
some opinions
from experienced yachtsmen.

My father is in his mid eighties and has spent a few years at sea on a
ferro-cement
yacht. He was ex-Navy before that. He sold his yacht some years ago and
bought a
house and all seemed well. He has now decided to go back to sea, and
has
effectively
sold everything he owns and bought another yacht. Some subtle enquiries

by
telephone to the marina personnel and a yacht broker have provided the
information
that the yacht, a fibreglass 53 built in the early 70s is in very poor
shape with
regard to both standing rigging and mechanicals/electrics.

He is typical of most eighty-five year olds in that he has a degree of
difficulty in
moving rapidly, is not terribly strong, and has some vision and hearing
problems. He
has number of chronic problems as well, kidney and heart being the

major
ones. He
also seems to think that he can pass for a sixty year old to most

people.
He cant he
LOOKS like a man in his mid eighties but no one will tell him that, so

his
delusion of
youthfulness is intact.

He is talking about some long crossings, the South Pacific and the

Indian
Ocean to
start with.
This is not my quandary, his life is his to do with as he sees fit. The
problem is that he
has a girlfriend in her sixties who has never sailed before. He is
planning on just the
two of them spending several years on long voyages. I can understand
him
feeling
that he would like to spend the rest of his time at sea, but he is

taking
a novice, a
slightly built woman in her sixties who is putting all of her trust in
him.

At his age he is a fair weather sailor, not an intrepid adventurer. The
first unforseen
event, equipment failure, illness, fall, sudden storm etc, is liable to

be
signing her
death warrant as well as his own. He will not accept this even though

when
he was
younger he had several very close shaves due to poor seamanship or poor
planning.
He has lost rigging in storms for carrying too much sail for the
conditions, and has
had numerous other near calamitous escapes.

I feel that although I should not interfere with the way he wants to
end
his life, that I
cant stand by and see him take an innocent and trusting person with
him.
He cant
look after her at sea. He can barely look after himself while alongside

in
a Marina is
the assessment of the Marina owner. He has trouble negotiating between

the
cabins
and cockpit while alongside.

I have spoken to a solicitor who assures me that if I was to take the
matter before a
court, that he would be declared incompetent and placed in my care. I
would have
control of his assets and could try to recover as much as possible of

the
money he has
wasted on this poorly maintained yacht and put him in a pleasant

facility
close to
where I live. He living on board in another state, several thousand
kilometres from
where I live, so personal involvement at that distance is not possible.

I know that I could easily sound like a bitch, but I am truly concerned
for the welfare
of both him and his girlfriend. She doesnt deserve what is almost sure

happen if he
is not stopped.

Faith

A question of concern Peter HK Cruising 26 December 6th 11 02:22 PM
A question of concern Peter HK General 24 December 20th 05 07:15 AM
A question of concern Capt. JG ASA 0 December 17th 05 03:55 PM
A question of concern [email protected] Cruising 0 December 17th 05 06:32 AM
Mercruiser outdrive question John Chaplain General 3 October 23rd 05 05:50 PM