Ryk

Default Why do people buy cruising catamarans ?

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 15:20:56 -0500, Jeff wrote:

Smaller Benehuntalinas have crossed the pond many times; were they
lucky? I'd certainly take a Prout 37 over any of them. Would you
cross in a Hunter 36?

I wouldn't cross in anything that hadn't been taken out and sailed
hard in nasty coastal weather to find the weak spots. There is an
incredible confidence in the boat that comes from going out and
breaking a few of the undersized bits by pushing hard in ways you
never would on a passage.

Ryk
Ryk

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:41:52 GMT, Gary wrote:

sherwindu wrote:

Gary wrote:

Archaic thinking. Adlard Coles disproved the lying ahull theory years
ago. Multihulls have been crossing oceans for centuries.

Gaz

Yes, but do we have statistics on the multihulls that never made it
to their destination?

This discussion is stupid. Do we have stats on the monohulls? You bias
is showing and your argument is silly.

I would really like to see stats on cruising generally. One of the
things we see often in this group are (usually second or third hand)
tales of woe where somebody has lost their boat, or their lives. Then
there are the stories of people who manage to cruise off on major
passages with no experience on an unproven boat, and make it to their
destination by "blind luck".

People used to give me grief for being a father of young children and
riding a motorcycle. The best stats I could find at the time suggested
that riding a motorcycle was about 4 times as dangerous as driving a
car. And it sure was fun!

I would really like to be able to compare the hazards of cruising cat
or monohull to the hazards of daily commuting by car into a major
centre. I suspect that the answer would be that the difference in risk
is not enough to over-ride my personal preferences.

Ryk

Exuma Grouper now reduced to $40,000
Contact Bernard Lesporte at or 647-568-4178 or
Boat is lying at Toronto Multihull Cruising Club.