Don White

Default buoy interpretation

richard wrote:
as others have said
it is red on right when returning
your green river bouy may be a bit more challanging if the river is
open at both ends or if it is so long that you don't know which way is
returning. keep in mind that the bouy numbers go up when returning. One
of the best things to do is to get charts and see what the red and
green bouys are keeping you away from. then you begin to understand
what they mean
hope this helps

Very good advice. That's why a Power Squadron 'Boating' & then
'Piloting' couse are necessary. Learn how to read a chart.
Don White

Dennis Pogson wrote:

Is there a world outside the US?

Yes...a big, bright, beautiful technicolour world... you should step out
of the darkness & see it sometime.
Gary

Bil wrote:
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:50:35 GMT, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:

richard wrote:

as others have said
it is red on right when returning
your green river bouy may be a bit more challanging if the river is
open at both ends or if it is so long that you don't know which way is
returning. keep in mind that the bouy numbers go up when returning.
One of the best things to do is to get charts and see what the red and
green bouys are keeping you away from. then you begin to understand
what they mean
hope this helps

In Europe the direction of bouyage is the same direction as the flood tide,
and when entering a harbour or river mouth the bouyage is red-to-red and
green-to-green. Time the shipping world got together on this and agreed a
worldwide system.

But IALA A and IALA B are the result of the world getting together and
agreeing!

I undertand that IALA B, now used only by the US, its territories, and
its client states in Asia, was the original proposal. But the
Europeans were slow to understand the import of a unified marker
system. So they failed to support it. And then came IALA A and the
current mess.

If IALA B came first it would be IALA A! The europeans had buoyage
systems in place when they discovered the Americas.

Gaz
Peter Bennett

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:23:48 +0800, Bil wrote:

But IALA A and IALA B are the result of the world getting together and
agreeing!

I undertand that IALA B, now used only by the US, its territories, and
its client states in Asia, was the original proposal. But the
Europeans were slow to understand the import of a unified marker
system. So they failed to support it. And then came IALA A and the
current mess.

As I understand it, IALA is a committee of government committees -
since they agreed that an international standard for such an important
safety item would be a good idea, they decided that _two_ standards
would be better. :-)

IALA system B is used in all of North and South America and the
Caribbean, and in Japan, Korea, and the Philippines, according to a
map in a Canadian Coast Guard publication on Aids to Navigation.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Peter Bennett

On 10 Nov 2005 20:32:40 -0800, "richard"
wrote:

as others have said
it is red on right when returning
your green river bouy may be a bit more challanging if the river is
open at both ends or if it is so long that you don't know which way is
returning. keep in mind that the bouy numbers go up when returning. One
of the best things to do is to get charts and see what the red and
green bouys are keeping you away from. then you begin to understand
what they mean
hope this helps

Indeed - read the chart to see _why_ the buoy is where it is, and if
it matters to you. Buoys are often placed to mark things that would
be hazards to larger commercial vessels, so may often be ignored by
small pleasure craft.

Also, sometimes even the Coast Guard isn't sure whether a particular
hazard should have a port or starboard hand marker. There is one
daybeacon locally that was initially installed as a Port Hand (green)
mark (it is on the port side of a small bay, where there was a
marina). A month or two later, it was changed to starboard (red), as
it is on the starboard side of Howe Sound,, and commercial traffic in
Howe Sound would leave it to starboard. Another month or two later,
it was changed back to port, as it is so close to shore that the
commercial guys wouldn't even notice it, and the only people concerned
were the marina customers.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

NeptunesJester

Hi Greg,
When you run aground, you first want to make a quick check of the
crew to make sure no one is injured, have them put on their life
jackets, then make an inspection of the hull to make sure its not
holed. Once you have determined that you are not taking on water, then
you can turn your attention to getting ungrounded. There are several
approaches depending on your type of vessel, where your cruising
grounds are (coastal, river, etc), and what you are grounded on (mud,
sand, rock, grass beds, coral). These procedures are covered in the
Coast Guard Aux. and US Power and Sail Squadron classes. If you use a
line to tow the boat to deeper water, make sure everyone is clear of
the tow line - they have been known to part with deadly consequences.

A word of caution: if someone, whether commercial or not, offers to tow
you to deep water be cautious. Depending on the type of grounding and
the circumstances that surround it such as weather, traffic, etc., they
could claim salvage on your vessel. I would recommend that you get an
unlimited towing package from a company like TowBoat US or Sea Tow.
For about a $100 a year for unlimited towing, it brings a lot of peace
of mind on the water. Even with these services, groundings may still
fall under salvage, but you'll know what you are getting into before
they render the services.

Later,
Dan Schiro
M/V Sea Ranch

Dene (nospam) wrote:
"krj" wrote in message
Dene wrote:
"NeptunesJester" wrote in message
oups.com...

Greg,
You may want to pick yourself up a copy of Chapman Piloting,
Seamanship, and Small Boat Handling. You can find it in bookstores and
marine stores. You may also want to contact your local U.S. Coast
Guard Auxiliary flotilla, or your local United States Power and Sail
Squadron. Both these organizations offer public safe boating classes
that cover the Inland Navigation Rules. The classes are well worth the
time.

Dan Schiro
M/V Sea Ranch

Dene (nospam) wrote:

With the acquisition of my first "yacht" (a 25 footer) this week, I've

been

on a learning curve. Given this, is there a site which explains, in
layman's terms, the meaning of various buoys. I'm still struggling

with
"right of red returning from sea," especially when I see a green river

buoy.

-Greg

Thank you all for the great advice. I do intend to take a course this
winter. A friend gave me Chapman's book and I've begun
perusing....chanting, "right of red returning from sea."

Now if I just knew what the green ones meant.

-Greg

If you go "right of red" returning from sea, you will run aground. It's
"red right" returningfrom sea, meaning that you keep the bouy to your
right or starboard side. The green marks the other side of the channel.
Which means that it will be on your port (left) side.
krj

You're right. I'm meant right of which means left, not right of red. Just
right.......

Damn.....confused again.

Ok....better question. When I run aground, what's the first thing I should
do? ;

-Greg

Don White

Peter Bennett wrote:

[...]

In this case, I wonder if a Cardinal Buoy would have been more
practical.... the yellow/black colour scheme plus buoy top shape would
tell if danger is north/south/east/west of buoy.
Don White

NeptunesJester wrote:

Ok....better question. When I run aground, what's the first thing I should
do? ;

-Greg

After quickly checking on condition of crew/boat, I would call Coast
Guard on VHF. Up here they are very helpful pulling you off dangerous
rocks etc.
NeptunesJester

That would work as well depending on where you are. Down here on the
Northern Gulf Coast, the Coast Guard could care less about recreational
boaters. You'll only get their attention in a Mayday situation or if
you claim to have Al Qaeda members onboard. I called them one time to
report that some joker had swapped dayboard signs to opposite sides of
the channel. They said they knew about it, but didn't have the fuel to
run the boat to fix them. I'm still waiting for a call back from the
Duty Officer from a request I made back in April. I'm not holding my
breath.

I don't mean to rant on the Coast Guard, they do have their hands full
with all the new Homeland Security initiatives, drug interdictions, and
the like. They do a great job with what limited funding and antiquated
equipment they have.

Peter Bennett

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:01:27 GMT, Don White
wrote:

Peter Bennett wrote:

Also, sometimes even the Coast Guard isn't sure whether a particular
hazard should have a port or starboard hand marker. There is one
daybeacon locally that was initially installed as a Port Hand (green)
mark (it is on the port side of a small bay, where there was a
marina). A month or two later, it was changed to starboard (red), as
it is on the starboard side of Howe Sound,, and commercial traffic in
Howe Sound would leave it to starboard. Another month or two later,
it was changed back to port, as it is so close to shore that the
commercial guys wouldn't even notice it, and the only people concerned
were the marina customers.

In this case, I wonder if a Cardinal Buoy would have been more
practical.... the yellow/black colour scheme plus buoy top shape would
tell if danger is north/south/east/west of buoy.

A cardinal mark would probably better, but I don't think they'd been
invented at the time. Also, the thing is a daymark (actually a white
tower with a coloured band at the top, like a minor light, but without
the light), and the Aids to Nav book only shows cardinal buoys - no
cardinal daymarks.

There are a couple of places I'm aware of where a
potentially-confusing lateral buoy has been replaced by a cardinal.