Peter Bennett

Default buoy interpretation

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:01:27 GMT, Don White
wrote:

Peter Bennett wrote:

Also, sometimes even the Coast Guard isn't sure whether a particular
hazard should have a port or starboard hand marker. There is one
daybeacon locally that was initially installed as a Port Hand (green)
mark (it is on the port side of a small bay, where there was a
marina). A month or two later, it was changed to starboard (red), as
it is on the starboard side of Howe Sound,, and commercial traffic in
Howe Sound would leave it to starboard. Another month or two later,
it was changed back to port, as it is so close to shore that the
commercial guys wouldn't even notice it, and the only people concerned
were the marina customers.

In this case, I wonder if a Cardinal Buoy would have been more
practical.... the yellow/black colour scheme plus buoy top shape would
tell if danger is north/south/east/west of buoy.

A cardinal mark would probably better, but I don't think they'd been
invented at the time. Also, the thing is a daymark (actually a white
tower with a coloured band at the top, like a minor light, but without
the light), and the Aids to Nav book only shows cardinal buoys - no
cardinal daymarks.

There are a couple of places I'm aware of where a
potentially-confusing lateral buoy has been replaced by a cardinal.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca