Dene

Default buoy interpretation

With the acquisition of my first "yacht" (a 25 footer) this week, I've been
on a learning curve. Given this, is there a site which explains, in
layman's terms, the meaning of various buoys. I'm still struggling with
"right of red returning from sea," especially when I see a green river buoy.

-Greg

NeptunesJester

Greg,
You may want to pick yourself up a copy of Chapman Piloting,
Seamanship, and Small Boat Handling. You can find it in bookstores and
marine stores. You may also want to contact your local U.S. Coast
Guard Auxiliary flotilla, or your local United States Power and Sail
Squadron. Both these organizations offer public safe boating classes
that cover the Inland Navigation Rules. The classes are well worth the
time.

Dan Schiro
M/V Sea Ranch

Dene (nospam) wrote:
With the acquisition of my first "yacht" (a 25 footer) this week, I've been
on a learning curve. Given this, is there a site which explains, in
layman's terms, the meaning of various buoys. I'm still struggling with
"right of red returning from sea," especially when I see a green river buoy.

-Greg

otnmbrd

"Dene" dene@(nospam) ipns.com wrote in message
With the acquisition of my first "yacht" (a 25 footer) this week, I've
been
on a learning curve. Given this, is there a site which explains, in
layman's terms, the meaning of various buoys. I'm still struggling with
"right of red returning from sea," especially when I see a green river
buoy.

-Greg

Since it appears you are talking about the IALA "A" system, you might be
best off looking for some organization in your country which teaches small
boating safety, etc.
The basic systems are simple and easy to learn, but generally a course on
the subject can help uncover any minor questions which may arise.

otn

Don White

Dene wrote:
With the acquisition of my first "yacht" (a 25 footer) this week, I've been
on a learning curve. Given this, is there a site which explains, in
layman's terms, the meaning of various buoys. I'm still struggling with
"right of red returning from sea," especially when I see a green river buoy.

-Greg

Best advice...take a Power Squadron boating course. You will study what
you need to know and have fun doing it while meeting other boaters.

On 10 Nov 2005, "Dene" dene@(nospam) ipns.com wrote:

With the acquisition of my first "yacht" (a 25 footer) this week, I've been
on a learning curve. Given this, is there a site which explains, in
layman's terms, the meaning of various buoys. I'm still struggling with
"right of red returning from sea," especially when I see a green river buoy.

Use Google or Yahoo or the like to respond to a search something (or,
for that matter, exactly) like:

boating rules of the road buoys

then read the obviously relevant material the links will show.

Dene

oups.com...

Dene (nospam) wrote:
With the acquisition of my first "yacht" (a 25 footer) this week, I've

been
on a learning curve. Given this, is there a site which explains, in
layman's terms, the meaning of various buoys. I'm still struggling with
"right of red returning from sea," especially when I see a green river

buoy.

-Greg

Thank you all for the great advice. I do intend to take a course this
winter. A friend gave me Chapman's book and I've begun
perusing....chanting, "right of red returning from sea."

Now if I just knew what the green ones meant.

-Greg

krj

Dene (nospam) wrote:

With the acquisition of my first "yacht" (a 25 footer) this week, I've

been

on a learning curve. Given this, is there a site which explains, in
layman's terms, the meaning of various buoys. I'm still struggling with
"right of red returning from sea," especially when I see a green river

buoy.

-Greg

Thank you all for the great advice. I do intend to take a course this
winter. A friend gave me Chapman's book and I've begun
perusing....chanting, "right of red returning from sea."

Now if I just knew what the green ones meant.

-Greg

If you go "right of red" returning from sea, you will run aground. It's
"red right" returningfrom sea, meaning that you keep the bouy to your
right or starboard side. The green marks the other side of the channel.
Which means that it will be on your port (left) side.
krj
Gary

Dene (nospam) wrote:

[...]

Unless you are in Europe or anywhere outside North America.
krj

Gary wrote:

Dene (nospam) wrote:

[...]

Well, if he is studying Chapmans, I assumed he was in the US.
krj