otnmbrd

Default buoy interpretation

"Dene" dene@(nospam) ipns.com wrote in message

Thank you all for the great advice. I do intend to take a course this
winter. A friend gave me Chapman's book and I've begun
perusing....chanting, "right of red returning from sea."

Now if I just knew what the green ones meant.

-Greg

Basically, the greens mark the opposite side of the channel.
As stated, you're talking IALA "A" buoyage where it's "red right returning
to sea" or "right of red returning from sea", so if you pass a red buoy on
your port side returning from sea and you see a green buoy, keep it on your
stbd hand as you pass it.

otn

Don White

Dene wrote:
"NeptunesJester" wrote in message
oups.com...

Greg,
You may want to pick yourself up a copy of Chapman Piloting,
Seamanship, and Small Boat Handling. You can find it in bookstores and
marine stores. You may also want to contact your local U.S. Coast
Guard Auxiliary flotilla, or your local United States Power and Sail
Squadron. Both these organizations offer public safe boating classes
that cover the Inland Navigation Rules. The classes are well worth the
time.

Dan Schiro
M/V Sea Ranch

Dene (nospam) wrote:

With the acquisition of my first "yacht" (a 25 footer) this week, I've

been

on a learning curve. Given this, is there a site which explains, in
layman's terms, the meaning of various buoys. I'm still struggling with
"right of red returning from sea," especially when I see a green river

buoy.

-Greg

Thank you all for the great advice. I do intend to take a course this
winter. A friend gave me Chapman's book and I've begun
perusing....chanting, "right of red returning from sea."

Now if I just knew what the green ones meant.

-Greg

We simplify the chant...
red...right...return
when entering harbour..keep green to port
when leaving harbour...keep green to starboard.
Don White

krj wrote:

If you go "right of red" returning from sea, you will run aground. It's
"red right" returningfrom sea, meaning that you keep the bouy to your
right or starboard side. The green marks the other side of the channel.
Which means that it will be on your port (left) side.
krj

Should we tell this guy that in Europe & most of the rest of the
worls...it's opposite?

richard

as others have said
it is red on right when returning
your green river bouy may be a bit more challanging if the river is
open at both ends or if it is so long that you don't know which way is
returning. keep in mind that the bouy numbers go up when returning. One
of the best things to do is to get charts and see what the red and
green bouys are keeping you away from. then you begin to understand
what they mean
hope this helps

Gary

Dene (nospam) wrote:

With the acquisition of my first "yacht" (a 25 footer) this week, I've

been

on a learning curve. Given this, is there a site which explains, in
layman's terms, the meaning of various buoys. I'm still struggling
with
"right of red returning from sea," especially when I see a green river

buoy.

-Greg

Thank you all for the great advice. I do intend to take a course this
winter. A friend gave me Chapman's book and I've begun
perusing....chanting, "right of red returning from sea."

Now if I just knew what the green ones meant.

-Greg

We simplify the chant...
red...right...return
when entering harbour..keep green to port
when leaving harbour...keep green to starboard.

Nobody navigates anything but the smallest boat (when it really doesn't
matter) without looking at a chart. It will be obvious which side to
leave the buoys on. Get a chart.
Dene

Dene (nospam) wrote:

[...]

You're right. I'm meant right of which means left, not right of red. Just
right.......

Damn.....confused again.

Ok....better question. When I run aground, what's the first thing I should
do? ;

-Greg

Dennis Pogson

Don White wrote:
krj wrote:

If you go "right of red" returning from sea, you will run aground.
It's "red right" returningfrom sea, meaning that you keep the bouy
to your right or starboard side. The green marks the other side of
the channel. Which means that it will be on your port (left) side.
krj

Should we tell this guy that in Europe & most of the rest of the
worls...it's opposite?

Is there a world outside the US?

Dennis Pogson

richard wrote:
as others have said
it is red on right when returning
your green river bouy may be a bit more challanging if the river is
open at both ends or if it is so long that you don't know which way is
returning. keep in mind that the bouy numbers go up when returning.
One of the best things to do is to get charts and see what the red and
green bouys are keeping you away from. then you begin to understand
what they mean
hope this helps

In Europe the direction of bouyage is the same direction as the flood tide,
and when entering a harbour or river mouth the bouyage is red-to-red and
green-to-green. Time the shipping world got together on this and agreed a
worldwide system.

Bil

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:50:35 GMT, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:

richard wrote:
as others have said
it is red on right when returning
your green river bouy may be a bit more challanging if the river is
open at both ends or if it is so long that you don't know which way is
returning. keep in mind that the bouy numbers go up when returning.
One of the best things to do is to get charts and see what the red and
green bouys are keeping you away from. then you begin to understand
what they mean
hope this helps

In Europe the direction of bouyage is the same direction as the flood tide,
and when entering a harbour or river mouth the bouyage is red-to-red and
green-to-green. Time the shipping world got together on this and agreed a
worldwide system.

But IALA A and IALA B are the result of the world getting together and
agreeing!

I undertand that IALA B, now used only by the US, its territories, and
its client states in Asia, was the original proposal. But the
Europeans were slow to understand the import of a unified marker
system. So they failed to support it. And then came IALA A and the
current mess.