Bil

Default buoy interpretation

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:12:41 GMT, Gary wrote:

Bil wrote:
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:50:35 GMT, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:

richard wrote:

as others have said
it is red on right when returning
your green river bouy may be a bit more challanging if the river is
open at both ends or if it is so long that you don't know which way is
returning. keep in mind that the bouy numbers go up when returning.
One of the best things to do is to get charts and see what the red and
green bouys are keeping you away from. then you begin to understand
what they mean
hope this helps

In Europe the direction of bouyage is the same direction as the flood tide,
and when entering a harbour or river mouth the bouyage is red-to-red and
green-to-green. Time the shipping world got together on this and agreed a
worldwide system.

But IALA A and IALA B are the result of the world getting together and
agreeing!

I undertand that IALA B, now used only by the US, its territories, and
its client states in Asia, was the original proposal. But the
Europeans were slow to understand the import of a unified marker
system. So they failed to support it. And then came IALA A and the
current mess.

If IALA B came first it would be IALA A! The europeans had buoyage
systems in place when they discovered the Americas.

Gaz

How old are you, Gaz? Older or younger than 35?

Buoyage was in a mess, in terms of the lack of existence of a 'system'
or 'systems' until the 1970s. Cynics would argue it's still in a mess,
just that the mess has superficial order imposed on it.

IALA, then the International Association of Lighthouse Authorities
(they've since renamed themselves, see http://www.iala-aism.org),
started agitating for a single world system in about 1965. Nothing
happened.

A shipping accident off France in 1971, associated with
misunderstanding of European buoyage 'systems' (or lack thereof),
stimulated the final push that come up with two systems of lateral
markers - the two systems, you guessed it, differed in how they used
red and green markers.

The first system (now called B) seemed close to acceptance until the
final vote. Then the system now called A was put to the vote. The
'wise' men couldn't agree, so we now have System A and System B.

The A and B monikers are there because those pushing for green to
starboard when heading for a major port had their proposal in 'final'
form first (but that was a couple of years after the debacle of the
voting rounds, proving yet again that we cannot just all get along).
AFAIK, System B was only in 'final' form in 1980 or thereabouts.

Cheers

d parker

"Dene" dene@(nospam) ipns.com wrote in message

snip

Ok....better question. When I run aground, what's the first thing I
should
do? ;

-Greg

Heal the boat over. If your lucky, youre gounded on the windward side of the
chanel and you will blow off.

You can heal the boat by moving heavy objects and people. Sitting people on
the end of a strong boom can help immensely( does depend on the boat tho).
Backing sails. Filling sails. there are lots of ways. Of course this only
works in a single hulled monohull.

Anther trick is a Kedging anchor. Row away from the boat with a good anchor
in the tender.Once as far away as possible lower the anchor into the water.
Row back to the stranded vessel and start to which in the anchor via a sheet
winch if needed.

At very worst start emptying water tanks and removing heavy objects from the
boat.

A point worth noting , when I navigate a new channel I always stick to the
windward side if there is no traffic. For the very reason that it is easy to
get off it a grounding occurs. Yes, I know this is in breach of Colregs.
Shh, I wont tell if you dont )

Cheers
DP

Ryk

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 23:43:04 -0800, "Dene" dene@(nospam) ipns.com
wrote:

Ok....better question. When I run aground, what's the first thing I should
do? ;

If it is a soft grounding in mud, try to keep the boat moving, even a
little bit, so you can drive out. If you come to a full stop, the mud
will settle in against the keel and lock you in place, so keep it
stirred. I have sucessfully driven out by putting the rudder hard over
to twist the boat in place, back and forth, eventually doing a 180 and
driving back out the way I came in.

Of course, if you were doing full speed when you found the mud, then
you are probably just stuck, and that's a good reason to approach
shallow spots slowly.

Ryk
Terry Spragg

d parker wrote:
[...]

Also, consider tide and currents. Sometimes the easy way to get off
is to have dinner and wait for the tide. Sailing a bilge keeler,
the best way is often to loose sheets, boat rights itself and drifts
off, or further on.

Terry K

d parker

"d parker" wrote in message
Snip

You can heal the boat by moving heavy objects and people. Sitting people
on
the end of a strong boom can help immensely( does depend on the boat tho).
Backing sails. Filling sails. there are lots of ways. Of course this only
works in a single hulled monohull.

Snip

typo above...

The last line should read. Single keeled monohull of course.

DP