BrianH

Default Atlantic Crossing on a 26' MacGregor ?

LM wrote:
prodigal1 wrote:

wrote:

Just for fun, say there's a MacGregor 26 off to the East
a Contessa 26 to the West, and it's not Popeye's day.

http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/lighthousewashout.jpg

North:
http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/Over.jpg

South:
http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/pampero.jpg

Which way's he gonna swim?

Maybe he should take a look here at what he may expect.
I can only think these guys are trolls - or have never, ever, been to
sea on anything but a calm day.

http://tv-antenna.com/heavy-seas/5/

Best, BrianH.
Robert Larder

Maybe he should take a look here at what he may expect.
I can only think these guys are trolls - or have never, ever, been to sea
on anything but a calm day.

http://tv-antenna.com/heavy-seas/5/

Best, BrianH.

You obviously don`t understand the master plan- they intend to pick a calm
day to cross the Atlantic ;-))
Bob Larder

prodigal1 wrote:
wrote:

However, now I'm getting more curious because the consensus
seems to be that the length of the boat is not an issue.

it isn't
google for Tania Aebi and Contessa 26
no water ballast...
but why the hell would you want it?

Thanks prodigal. I've found a few Contessa 26 at yachtworld.com
all of which are over 20 years old.

With a water ballast you can let the water out to reduce the
weight of the boat so you can tow it with a car or small SUV.

Another idea is to build a trailerable boat with a water ballast
tank and put a bag inside this tank for storing up to 150 gallons
of diesel (in addition to 20 gallons in the standard fuel tank).
Sea water can be added to the ballast tank as fuel is drawn out
without seriously affecting the weight distribution of the boat.

How far do you think a 26' boat can travel on 170 gallons of
diesel without using the sails ?
prodigal1

Thanks prodigal. I've found a few Contessa 26 at yachtworld.com
all of which are over 20 years old.

This sounds like you don't like the idea of a 20+ year old boat. Age
isn't the issue either. Mine is going to be 40 years old next summer
and look what some of my friends have been up to with good old boats
like mine
..
http://www.cafesmersdusud.com/oceanothon.htm
http://www.clic.net/~dcooper/hinterh...titdelire.html

With a water ballast you can let the water out to reduce the
weight of the boat so you can tow it with a car or small SUV.
Another idea is to build a trailerable boat with a water ballast
tank and put a bag inside this tank for storing up to 150 gallons
of diesel (in addition to 20 gallons in the standard fuel tank).
Sea water can be added to the ballast tank as fuel is drawn out
without seriously affecting the weight distribution of the boat.

fine, but in my world, the H2O stays outside the hull --as best as I can
keep it that way-- and cars and spitSUV's/spit are for highways and
landfill respectively

How far do you think a 26' boat can travel on 170 gallons of
diesel without using the sails ?

on a sailboat, your primary drive is...the sails! the motor is
your...auxilliary power. it's used to get you in and out of port. But
all of this is fairly academic. Just coming in here and asking about
--ocean +Mac26 indicates the need for _much_ more reading and even more
forethought.

Thanks prodigal. I've found a few Contessa 26 at yachtworld.com
all of which are over 20 years old.

This sounds like you don't like the idea of a 20+ year old boat. Age
isn't the issue either. Mine is going to be 40 years old next summer
and look what some of my friends have been up to with good old boats
like mine
..
http://www.cafesmersdusud.com/oceanothon.htm
http://www.clic.net/~dcooper/hinterh...titdelire.html

I have no intention of buying one but my point was that the company
might have gone out of business a long time ago.

[...]

I wouldn't want to motor all the way across the Atlantic either
but I would still want to know how far my boat can go under power.

As stated earlier, I brought up the MacGregor only for the purpose
of comparing it to the Bayliner.

Bryan

I supose you would most likely make it across the pond with it but why
bother?

Bryan

wrote in message
. net...

"Bryan" wrote:
How far do you think a 26' boat can travel on 170 gallons
of diesel without using the sails ?

I supose you would most likely make it across the pond with it
but why bother?

Why does Tayana build sailboats that can go 2,000 nm under
power on a single tank (325 gallons) of diesel ?

If I actually want to sail across the Atlantic or Pacific wouldn't
it be nice to know that if the mast and sails and communication
equipments get damaged I won't be stranded in the middle of
the ocean ?

And if I can replace the water in the ballast tank with up to
150 gallons of diesel then my boat won't be any heavier than
necessary. So doesn't this make it an even more logical thing
to do ?

There are also other advantages of having a bluewater boat that
is trailerable.

For example, if you live on the East Coast of the U.S. you won't
have to lose your boat to the hurricanes if you can just put it on
your trailer and move it further inland.

Or if you live on the West Coast and would like to go sailing
in the Bahamas you can just tow your boat to Florida and sail
from there without having to go down to Panama.
Danny

wrote in message
k.net...

"Bryan" wrote:
[...]

Popeye: Sweetpea is calling for you. Go back to where trolls and cartoon
characters belong......

"Danny" wrote:
wrote:

"Bryan" wrote:
[...]

So what's wrong with my idea of building a trailerable bluewater
sailboat with diesel/water ballast ?
Bryan

Hey, people sail small boats across the ocean all the time. If that is what
you want to do, well by all means have at it. Don't forget to wear your
hair shirt to add to your comfort and joy while aboard.

"d parker" wrote in message

wrote in message
k.net...

"ed" wrote:
Think about range. calculate 2000 miles distance by a 5 mpg and
you need how many gallons of fuel on board? How much space does
400 gallons of fuel require? How and where will you store it?
Safely. What will the added weight (about a ton) do to stability?
To mileage and handling? If you use bladders, will chafing cause
a catastrophic leak?

editor
http://www.marineenginedigest.com

I forgot to say that the MacGregor is a sailboat :-)

It may not perform well crossing an ocean and may take twice
as long as a good sailboat but since it cannot sink or capsize
you won't have to worry about getting eaten by sharks.

A sailboat boat definition only. Have a look a the lines of the thing and
tell me what it would be like trying to pound that fat entry into an
oncoming sea in a storm.
http://www.macgregorsailboats.com/sa...fications.html
It is a perfect boat for noob lake-sailors who want the comfort of being
able to power home faster than they can sail. I prefer a boat that sails
faster than it powers.

The weight of a Honda 50 is 200+ lbs. (
http://www.honda-marine.com/pdfs/50hp.pdf )
Would you really like some fat guy hanging off your transom and slowing
you down everytime you set sail. Cos thats what youve got! And thats just
the Honda. Put a Merc on the back you have nearly 250lbs. Not very
appealing eh?

Cant sink? Great! http://www.macgregorsailboats.com/safety.html take a
good look at that first photo. Its in nice weather against a Marina. Now
imagine 20ft breaking waves- not at all unusal at sea. That boat would not
under any circumstances be inhabitable or controllable in those conditions
while flooded,. The boat would be rolled over and over again. The mast and
boom would be snapped off and would become missiles. The crew would be
washed from the boat or drowned/concussed/speared as they became victims
of the waves/rig/hull. Yeah, I know thats all a bit negative, but its the
truth.

As most yachts rely on the engine to top up the batteries you will have to
take enough petrol to last you two hours motoring per day at sea minimum.
I wouldnt like having to take all that petrol with me to supply power.
Deisel is prefered on yachts cos it is more economical and it doesnt go
Kaboom.

Oddly enough, the length of the boat would not be an issue. Many yachts
smaller than that have done trasats as well as circum-navs. The difference
being the other yachts were/are designed as blue water boats.

Thats my 2 cents.

DP