Awsome

Default Atlantic Crossing on small power Boat ?

I am thinking of Atlantic crossing for some time in my tiny power boat,
Bayliner 30 footer Aft. bridge. I am doing some changes in boat to get it
ready for this trip.

1. Replacing the Gas engine with diesel cauz diesel gives more milage plus
its cheap in Europe as compare to gas.
2. Adding extra fuel tanks to carry diesel fuel.
3. Installing small wind generator for extra electrical power on boat.
4. As back up source, installing 1000watts solar panels and small diesel
generator.
5. Another idea of using some kind of alteration on my outboard unit to
drive it with electric motor as well as engine. Havn't done the calculation
yet but I am sure it is possible. With extra onboard electric power I think
it is possible to use DC motor to drive the propeller shaft atleast for some
time and then switch over to diesel engine.
6. Another wild idea is to add flying kite thingy to my boat for extra pull
under good wind situation, here is the link if some of you is not familar
with this thing: http://www.kiteship.com/id2.html
7. I've already installed small sea water to fresh water converting unit, so
no worries to carry extra water.
8. Getting all the communication equipments like GPS, HF Radio bla bla.

Now the last thing .... what route ? should I use Northern route to cut down
the long leg in sea like From New York to Halifax, St. John, Greenland,
Iceland, Scottland and then onward.

Or should I go through southern route which most of the sailing boats
normally use, like from Florida to Panamma, Ponta Delgada and Gibraltor etc.

I know it sounds like a crazy idea but hey peoples are doing it on rowing
boats, why can't I do it.

I am open to suggestions from Folks, Please give me your best shot or any
good advise that help me or warn me of any dangers that I should be aware
off besides normal open sea encounter. Any other thing that I am over
looking here in my preparation ?

What month is better ? Which route is good North or South ?

Jim Carter

"Awsome" wrote in message
[...]

Well, it's been done in power boats smaller than yours, but, they had
fueling boats accompanying them. You cannot carry enough fuel in your 30
foot Aft Cabin Bayliner to do this trip. Also, your Bayliner is not the
proper boat to do this with. It is not an ocean going vessel. The first
big ocean wave over the boat will crush your windscreen and fill your boat
with water and sink it.

With the things that you are adding to the boat, you are increasing it's
weight substantially. The extra fuel, the heavier diesel engine, and the
generator and the food and water, may also prove your boat unstable and it
could sink from that.
Why would you leave from New York?
The Great Circle Northern route is the best suited to an attempt to cross
the Atlantic in a small vessel. The ones that have made this trip before
use this route.

You had better rethink this and go back to school on Monday.

Jim Carter
"The Boat"
Bayfield

Brian Whatcott

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 12:15:42 -0500, "Awsome"
wrote:

I am thinking of Atlantic crossing for some time in my tiny power boat,
Bayliner 30 footer Aft. bridge.

///
I know it sounds like a crazy idea but hey peoples are doing it on rowing
boats, why can't I do it.

I am open to suggestions from Folks,

I would like to see your estimated fuel budget. That is the prime area
for attention.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Robert Larder

wrote:

I am thinking of Atlantic crossing for some time in my tiny power boat,
Bayliner 30 footer Aft. bridge.

///
I know it sounds like a crazy idea but hey peoples are doing it on rowing
boats, why can't I do it.

Because the rowing boats used are designed and built for the job, a Bayliner
patently isn`t!
Also the people in them have a clue- Darwin Awards anyone? ;-)

Bob Larder.

Capt. JG

k...

wrote:

I am thinking of Atlantic crossing for some time in my tiny power boat,
Bayliner 30 footer Aft. bridge.

///
I know it sounds like a crazy idea but hey peoples are doing it on rowing
boats, why can't I do it.

Because the rowing boats used are designed and built for the job, a
Bayliner patently isn`t!
Also the people in them have a clue- Darwin Awards anyone? ;-)

Bob Larder.

There's a way to do it! Convert the bayliner to a submarine.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

bowgus

There's a reason they're called bay liners :-)

rhys

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 14:39:13 -0500, "bowgus" wrote:

There's a reason they're called bay liners :-)

Cruel, but fair.

To the OP: You'd be far better off buying a trawler-style boat with a
large, slow-turning diesel and a high bow to deflect and power through
the inevitable seas you'll hit. The Bayliner is strictly coastal, by
which I mean "in sight of land" in anything other than ideal
conditions.

YMMV, of course.
R.

Don White

Jim Carter wrote:

[...]

Maybe we should introduce this 'Awsome' character to 'Skipper' over in
wrecked.boats.
Skipper claims to have ridden out hurricanes with a couple dozen fuel
cans strapped to the gunwales of his 21 foot 'Bilgeliner' ...er...Bayliner.
G&G

Never in a Bayliner. Are you nuts?
"rhys" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 14:39:13 -0500, "bowgus" wrote:

There's a reason they're called bay liners :-)

Cruel, but fair.

To the OP: You'd be far better off buying a trawler-style boat with a
large, slow-turning diesel and a high bow to deflect and power through
the inevitable seas you'll hit. The Bayliner is strictly coastal, by
which I mean "in sight of land" in anything other than ideal
conditions.

YMMV, of course.
R.

Atlantic Crossing on small power boat ? Awsome General 29 November 9th 05 04:02 AM
Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM