Awsome

Default Atlantic Crossing on small power boat ?

I am thinking of Atlantic crossing for some time in my tiny power boat,
Bayliner 30 footer Aft. bridge. I am doing some changes in boat to get it
ready for this trip.

1. Replacing the Gas engine with diesel cauz diesel gives more milage plus
its cheap in Europe as compare to gas.
2. Adding extra fuel tanks to carry diesel fuel.
3. Installing small wind generator for extra electrical power on boat.
4. As back up source, installing 1000watts solar panels and small diesel
generator.
5. Another idea of using some kind of alteration on my outboard unit to
drive it with electric motor as well as engine. Havn't done the calculation
yet but I am sure it is possible. With extra onboard electric power I think
it is possible to use DC motor to drive the propeller shaft atleast for some
time and then switch over to diesel engine.
6. Another wild idea is to add flying kite thingy to my boat for extra pull
under good wind situation, here is the link if some of you is not familar
with this thing: http://www.kiteship.com/id2.html
7. I've already installed small sea water to fresh water converting unit, so
no worries to carry extra water.
8. Getting all the communication equipments like GPS, HF Radio bla bla.

Now the last thing .... what route ? should I use Northern route to cut down
the long leg in sea like From New York to Halifax, St. John, Greenland,
Iceland, Scottland and then onward.

Or should I go through southern route which most of the sailing boats
normally use, like from Florida to Panamma, Ponta Delgada and Gibraltor etc.

I know it sounds like a crazy idea but hey peoples are doing it on rowing
boats, why can't I do it.

I am open to suggestions from Folks, Please give me your best shot or any
good advise that help me or warn me of any dangers that I should be aware
off besides normal open sea encounter. Any other thing that I am over
looking here in my preparation ?

What month is better ? Which route is good North or South ?

keith

"Awsome" wrote:

I am thinking of Atlantic crossing for some time in my tiny power boat,
Bayliner 30 footer Aft. bridge. I am doing some changes in boat to get it
ready for this trip.

1. Replacing the Gas engine with diesel cauz diesel gives more milage plus
its cheap in Europe as compare to gas.

good move

2. Adding extra fuel tanks to carry diesel fuel.

have you done a calculation on how much fuel you need to carry?

3. Installing small wind generator for extra electrical power on boat.

useful.

4. As back up source, installing 1000watts solar panels and small diesel
generator.

what do you need the electric power for apart from radio? if your
engine goes down all you gonna need is to call for help.

5. Another idea of using some kind of alteration on my outboard unit to
drive it with electric motor as well as engine. Havn't done the calculation
yet but I am sure it is possible. With extra onboard electric power I think
it is possible to use DC motor to drive the propeller shaft atleast for some
time and then switch over to diesel engine.

forget it.

6. Another wild idea is to add flying kite thingy to my boat for extra pull
under good wind situation, here is the link if some of you is not familar
with this thing: http://www.kiteship.com/id2.html

interesting.. you *will* broach with it, no matter what the blurb
reads.
also, im not familiar with your power boat, but if it has an
"inboard/outboard" engine/drive unit, have you tought about how you
might steer, given that they are designed to direct thrust, rather
than bend water?

also, you will need at least one very strong place to attach that kite
to.

also, it will pull your boat directly down wind.... if thats the
direction you want to go, fine!

7. I've already installed small sea water to fresh water converting unit, so
no worries to carry extra water.

except when it packs up. or the power goes. and you are 12 days from
land.

8. Getting all the communication equipments like GPS, HF Radio bla bla.

life raft?

Now the last thing .... what route ? should I use Northern route to cut down
the long leg in sea like From New York to Halifax, St. John, Greenland,
Iceland, Scottland and then onward.

Or should I go through southern route which most of the sailing boats
normally use, like from Florida to Panamma, Ponta Delgada and Gibraltor etc.

i think that's up-wind...

I know it sounds like a crazy idea but hey peoples are doing it on rowing
boats, why can't I do it.

lots of reasons why you shouldnt...

I am open to suggestions from Folks, Please give me your best shot or any
good advise that help me or warn me of any dangers that I should be aware
off besides normal open sea encounter. Any other thing that I am over
looking here in my preparation ?

take your boat out in the foulest weather you can find. and stay out
there for 3 days or so. then have a *long* hard think about it.

What month is better ? Which route is good North or South ?

good luck with it. cant say i fancy your chances though.

keith
Bill Fright

Awsome wrote:

[...]

I think a couple of shake down cruises might take the romance out of
your idea. Have you been in 20 foot seas or gail conditions on this
little boat before? I'd recommend coastal crusing like what it was made for.

keith

"Awsome" wrote:

I am thinking of Atlantic crossing for some time in my tiny power boat,
Bayliner 30 footer Aft. bridge. I am doing some changes in boat to get it
ready for this trip.

- snip

to follow up on Bill and my previous comments; whereas you have to
decide for yourself to go not, do spare a thought for the men and
women that will risk their lives to rescue you; also ask yourself
about those that you leave behind.

keith

"keith" wrote in message
"Awsome" wrote:

I am thinking of Atlantic crossing for some time in my tiny power boat,
Bayliner 30 footer Aft. bridge. I am doing some changes in boat to get it
ready for this trip.

- snip

to follow up on Bill and my previous comments; whereas you have to
decide for yourself to go not, do spare a thought for the men and
women that will risk their lives to rescue you; also ask yourself
about those that you leave behind.

hey lanze, browse on over to here...
http://tgos.org/newbie/rules.html

and get a clue
posted to alt.sailing.boats.crew
Lanze

Your missing the main point Keith. Thanks, my etique is just fine.